Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Maidens website

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Quote from the site:

We are so sick of seeing history's most beautiful female actors portrayed as old women. How many times have you seen Joan Crawford as a 50 year old with enormous eyebrows and clown-like lipstick, Bette Davis as a shaky old woman with a cigarette, Elizabeth Taylor at 220 pounds, or Shirley MacLaine as a psychic nutcase?

These actresses burst onto the Hollywood scene as beautiful young women, and they should be remembered as the gorgeous girls that they were. We want everyone to experience the beauty of these women, to encourage you to watch their old movies, and to fall in love with them, as moviegoers did, when they were young.​

I guess acting ability doesn't count for much.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are millions of pretty girls who show up in Hollywood every year, who nobody ever hears of. These women are legends because they had not only beauty but brains and talent as well, not to mention that indefinable magnetism that made them stars. I would take issue with that quote, tho. Other than Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, and I suppose Lillian Gish, I think most people remember these stars as they were in their prime.
If you peruse the photos, there are a few booboos. They have a picture of Liz Taylor next to Hedy Lamarr's name, and a very fuzzy picture of a guy with a beard and a dress next to Olivia deHavilland's name!

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Um, why is 35 the cut-off? Is 36 the onset of age and ugliness to these people? I'm disturbed by the implication that women "past their prime," whenever that is, should just go away so no one has to look at them.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
Quote from the site:

We are so sick of seeing history's most beautiful female actors portrayed as old women. How many times have you seen Joan Crawford as a 50 year old with enormous eyebrows and clown-like lipstick, Bette Davis as a shaky old woman with a cigarette, Elizabeth Taylor at 220 pounds, or Shirley MacLaine as a psychic nutcase?

These actresses burst onto the Hollywood scene as beautiful young women, and they should be remembered as the gorgeous girls that they were. We want everyone to experience the beauty of these women, to encourage you to watch their old movies, and to fall in love with them, as moviegoers did, when they were young.​

I guess acting ability doesn't count for much.

Yeah...I am with you Paisley. That opening line kinda killed it for me.

Tamamiko

One of the Regulars
In self defense...

Just in case anyone thought I agreed with the texts on the page, no. I do not. I merely posted it for reference pictures. And I'm not accusing anyone of thinking that either... Just covering my butt. :)

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Tamamiko said:
Just in case anyone thought I agreed with the texts on the page, no. I do not. I merely posted it for reference pictures. And I'm not accusing anyone of thinking that either... Just covering my butt. :)

LOL! We are all so afraid of angering each other...Oh, man. Your buns are covered....I think some of us were just peeved at the "age-ist" slant of the opening remarks...I did not think you shared the opinion. :)

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Hey, I'm all about photos of old movie stars, even if I don't hold the same views as those who run the website. Here's another site for great pictures and juicy starlet gossip-www.glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24