Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Theatres and Picture Halls?

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
I do hope this is the correct place to post this.

I'm currently researching 40's and early 50's picture houses and movie theatres for an event I'm collaborating on. I wondered if anyone in the Lounge had any knowledge on this subject, particularly...

the style of the film posters
usherette uniforms
what the tickets looked like
decor of the cinema

or any other general information.

If anyone knows a little about this area and wouldn't mind me asking them a few questions I'd be much obliged.

Kind wishes,

Jessica

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
You can see reprints of a lot of classic movie posters HERE

The decor depended on the architect. There were/are picture houses in the Spanish Colonial Revival, art deco, baroque, gothic revival, and others. You can see some of the styles HERE There aren't photos for every theater, though. As for the tickets, usherette uniforms, etc, I'm not familar with those subjects.

There are quite a few people here who would be, though.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Here are some typical tickets from the theatre where I work, circa 1940s-50s.

tickets.jpg

The top ticket is a bit earlier, and provides for a tear-off stub, while the bottom two were simply torn in half on admission. These later tickets were differently colored for each denomination to make it easier to identify them by sight.

These types of tickets were standard at practically all small neighborhood theatres during the Era, and remained so right up until computerized box offices came into vogue in the 1990s.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I was in first thru third grade, and still living in Manhattan, 1951 - 55, the local movie theaters used to give out little multicolored flyers to the kids in the school yard, with the names of the upcoming features on them, as I recall. They were different colors, and if the kid was lucky enough to get one of the right color, he got in free. Since we had a TV, I never did this, so my memories are rather foggy. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

timorous me

Familiar Face
This thread made me immediately think of Portland's beloved State Theater - an old movie theater and playhouse turned nudie flick theater turned modern concert venue turned... unused building. It closed most recently a year or so ago, but I think most Portlanders have no fear, it is our phoenix, it's risen before and it'll sure as heck rise again. I mean, it has closed and reopened at least twice just in my limited memory. The interior, though crumbling, is absolutely gorgeous, way better than shown in these pictures (courtesy of the Maine Historical Society):

an old handbill...

the exterior then...
and now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner