Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies For Children

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
What films do you show your children and grandchildren? Babysitters, what do you show? Reccomendations? What current films do you feel are appropiate for children in certain age brackets?

I just watched the preview of a nicely done story about the Loch Ness Monster, one of Scotland's most cherished legends (I hope). Anyways I thought if any parents and grandparents here have kids and are weery of bringing them into the dark rooms of a movie theater, this film might be of some good for them.
Based on the novel by Dick King-Smith, The Waterhorse: Legend of the deep

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760329/

Watch the exclusive preview HERE

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
My daughter is six, and she watches all Disney and Pixar. Plus The Iron Giant, Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang, Muppets Movies, Powerpuff Girls Movie.

And we have seen at the theatre all the other animated fare for the last several years. She liked Open Season and Happy Feet the most, I'm going to take her to Surfs Up this week.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I always like to show movies like The Neverending Story, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice when I'm babysitting. It's what I grew up with and the kids are always intrigued. A good age for these films are right around 6 years and older.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
My daughter loves to watch what she calls "Daddy's Favoriate Movie" "The Princess Bride".

Cars
Incredibles
Cinderella
Happy Feet
Grease
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Mary Popins

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I just read a book on this topic. It was called: The Best Old Movies for Families. It was by Ty Burr.

I didn't agree with everything he said, but he had a lot of suggestions and interesting thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I loved musicals as a youngster. The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music and The King and I were some of my favorites. There are also a bunch of Shirley Temple movies with musical bits that are a hoot. :)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Lesvinyl said:
...The Neverending Story, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice...

Beetlejuice scared the bejeezus out of me when I was little, but then again, I'm scared easily, even now.

My favorites: The Little Mermaid, National Velvet, Home Alone, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Princess Bride, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Incredibles, The Goonies, and pretty much any Pixar/Dreamworks movie out there.

I'm looking forward to taking my nephew to Ratatouille this summer. :)

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
My children (two boys aged 11 & 7) like action/adventure and comedy for the most part. A couple of our favorite films to watch together as a family have been:

Second Hand Lions
My Dog Skip

Both period pieces, well acted with great stories!!!

Hondo

One Too Many
Good ones and also the rest of you folks,
The Muppets movies, The Princess Bride, The Lion King,
if their not too young, teaches about life, and death :)

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase. Hakuna Matata, ain't no passing craze.
It means no worries for the rest of you days, it's our problem free philosphy,
Hakuna Matata.

Timon and Pumba, The Lion King

Zig2k143 said:
My daughter loves to watch what she calls "Daddy's Favoriate Movie" "The Princess Bride".

Cars
Incredibles
Cinderella
Happy Feet
Grease
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Mary Popins

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
My two and a half year old loves "Mister Gunby" (Gumby) and Sky Captain. Perhaps Sky Captain has finally found its audience.

I agree with most of the films mentioned.

I do have to object to the the showing of "Greese" to anyone under the age of e teens. I know it is considered a "classic" by many but I just don't like the message it gives little kids and the whole pregnancy thing and having to change who you are to "belong". If you want them to watch a good musical give them "Singing In the Rain" Or State Fair"
My step-daughter always wanted to see Greese and I never let her until recently (she's 16 now) and mature enough to understand it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
A nice pair is the old shirley Temple movie, The Little Princess and the modern version from the nineties.

The original is really sweet and well done, and the modern has a great story adn aexpanded scenes of indian gods come to life in her stories. Great for young girls I would think.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
CherryRed said:
I agree with most of the films mentioned.

I do have to object to the the showing of "Greese" to anyone under the age of e teens. I know it is considered a "classic" by many but I just don't like the message it gives little kids and the whole pregnancy thing and having to change who you are to "belong". If you want them to watch a good musical give them "Singing In the Rain" Or State Fair"
My step-daughter always wanted to see Greese and I never let her until recently (she's 16 now) and mature enough to understand it.

I don't know if I would be too concerned, but then I don't have kids. But I did always think it was odd that the original features a bad boy who makes the girl become bad too, then the second one features a bad girl who corrupts the studious good boy. Not much of a message. But then, I never could stand either of them.

Foofoogal

Banned
My 7 and 9 year old grandaughters were just mesmerized by Hayley Mills in Pollyanna and the remake of Shirly Temple in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. I am all for letting them know the general goodness in most people.
They also love the Homeward Bound movies about dogs. The 7 yr. old watched it constantly. (She wants to be a vet and is also horse crazy so anything with a horse and G-rated.) Of course also "Annie" with Carol Burnett.
The only PG-13 the 9 yr. old has seen is the recent Transformers and she loved it.

Foofoogal said:
My 7 and 9 year old grandaughters were just mesmerized by Hayley Mills in Pollyanna and the remake of Shirly Temple in Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm. I am all for letting them know the general goodness in most people.
They also love the Homeward Bound movies about dogs. The 7 yr. old watched it constantly. (She wants to be a vet and is also horse crazy so anything with a horse and G-rated.) Of course also "Annie" with Carol Burnett.
The only PG-13 the 9 yr. old has seen is the recent Transformers and she loved it.

Speaking of Hayley Mills...I loved all her films when I was little, especially "The Parent Trap". I know there is a newer version but I still love the old one best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR