Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies That Make You Smile

Flivver

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne and Lizzie, you both have more of my all time favorites on your lists.

Clara Bow's "It" may be the best of the 1920s flapper movies...I can never get enough of the lovely Miss Bow. The scenes from Coney Island are just outstanding!

And Harold Lloyd's "Girl Shy" has to be one of the funniest movies I have ever seen (in the beginning when Harold Lamb is dreaming of his immaginary conquests) as well as one of the most heartwarming (when Harold finally gets the girl). It even contains that great chase scene through 1920s Los Angeles.

"Sunnyside Up" is so thoroughly entertaining with the wonderful pairing of Janet Gaynor and New England's own Charlie Farrell. And the roster of hit songs in this movie is great.

Who couldn't get excited about "It Happened One Night"? Gable and Colbert and a magnificent 1934 Greyhound bus.

And "My Man Godfrey"...my favorite Carole Lombard film. I'm crazy about EVERYTHING she did.

You ladies have exquisite taste!

Hondo

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
A Hard Day's Night makes me smile and cry at the same time. [huh]

I don't know about "cry" for me its "sighing" those were the days, I guess even how innocent the times were. Black/white film worked well.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Flivver said:
You ladies have exquisite taste!

Well, thank ya!!

I thought of some more: *must keep it reasonably lengthed, Amy*
Ella Cinders (1926)
Bare Knees (1928)
Speedy (1928)
Walking Back (1928)
The Broadway Melody (1929)
Tanned Legs (1929)
*really, ANY creaky musical from 1929!*
God's Gift To Women (1931)
Lonely Wives (1931)
The Greeks Had A Word For Them (1932)
Flying Down To Rio (1933)
Professional Sweetheart (1933)
Young & Beautiful (1934)
Hollywood Hotel (1937)
Varsity Show (1937)
The Goldwyn Follies (1938)
Mad Youth (1939)

Alright, let me stop.....

Flivver

Practically Family
Amy...all your 1920s picks are among my favorites too! I'm going to have to watch the movies on your list that I haven't seen. I suspect I'll like them a lot.

I have to comment on "Walking Back", my favorite teen angst film of the 1920s. Smoke's blowup with his dad, and the way it is portrayed with title cards is great. And for a car nut like me, the demolition derby in the parking lot is the high point of the film. For those of you who haven't seen it, picture a demolition derby between a 1925 Flint phaeton and a 1926 Dianna roadster. It's gut wrenching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner