Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Rover is on the Today Show!

Lefty said:
So does this guy, but he's pretty popular.
andre3000.jpg

Actually, Andre Benjamin should be a member here. He was featured in Menswear Magazine this month. The guy is nuts over vintage. He goes to one particular clothier; goes through their 30s catalogs and fabrics and chooses a style to be made for him with a vintage fabric. The company then has a mill in England weave only enough of that pattern cloth to make his one suit. His name is then embroidered on the selvedge. This guy is detail oriented. He also has launched his own clothing line based on his style and take on vintage style. Some pieces are based on vintage that he obtained on eBay. If you lose a vintage piece to someone on eBay--it might just have been him. Great guy. :D

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
. He also has launched his own clothing line based on his style and take on vintage style.
It's called Benjamin Bixby. I've mentioned it a few times here on the FL. I haven't seen it in person, but the one magazine spread I saw was pretty amazing.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I was just trying to find any of it for sale. I'm sure that he'll have some nice stuff out eventually, but right now, all I spotted was some overpriced ordinariness.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I watched Ray this morning, definitely should have won. Not only because of his style, but the way he was working it up on stage! Everyone else looked nervous; not Ray.

Cheers Ray, you're a winner for the Lounge.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I liked Ray's flash of his braces ;)

The guy won because his look was the most marketable. Urban, tailored, with a bit of uptown thrown in.

I just will never understand a sport coat (orange velvet or any) with jeans.

LD

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Congratulations on making it so far, Ray. "You was robbed," but you did yourself proud.

I liked Mr. Sullivan's point about how men today are "leapfrogging" over their t-shirt-wearing dads to their grandfathers and greatgrandfathers for fashion inspiration.

Rosie

One Too Many
Okay, I'm hone now, (internet is down at work). Yeah, Ray should have won. I called my mom so she could watch and she thought so too. Funniest thing all day: my mom, "Is that man wearing an orange VELVET blazer? Ugh!"

DerMann

Practically Family
In the words of Bertram Wooster:

"Of all the bally nerve!"

You're the real winner, Mr. Rover. This is the exact reason why I don't subscribe to Esquire or GQ.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
I watched Ray this morning, definitely should have won. Not only because of his style, but the way he was working it up on stage! Everyone else looked nervous; not Ray.

Cheers Ray, you're a winner for the Lounge.

Oh, I so agree with you...Ray knows how to work the runway!! :eusa_clap

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Congratulations Ray

I saw the video and you were really good.
You stated in your motto that style is a work in progress - I liked that!
You seem to have progressed quite far on the right path for the age of 19!

Your 'eccentrism' will namely result in a refined and good looking and first and foremost timelessly elegant wardrobe that is practical and actually much more fun to own than to regularly dump yer closet while trotting from one fashion caprice to the other .:eusa_doh:

Being a finalist with Esquire is already a quite big achievement - and a good reference - whether you have plans in the vintage clothing niche or not.

If you succeed to keep your silhouettes you will be able to wear these clothes even at the age of your most senior competitor - at least the accessoires (ties, hats, caps etc.) without any problem!

Just like me wearing my Vass Budapester shoes - I only received compliments.

Your competitors looked in a way where everybody knows from which fashion wave they were awashed to the catwalk.
Vest and jeans - I had them in the early 1990's
Bright orange color - it had its last prime-time already years ago even in Hungary which follows fashion with a meticulously accurate delay of 5-10 years.
Sneakers without laces- wasn't it Run DMC who have the merit of inventing them some 20+ years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8A0rhVG91U :p ?

Anyway congratulations.

Tom

Edward

Bartender
Johnnysan said:
Another example of how Esquire consistently gets it wrong. :rolleyes:
Hmmn, yeah... Esquier, G Q, whatever.... what amuses me is that they only ever seem to show you how to dress like you only shop in the Gap.... for ten times the price. I wish the "serious" men's mags would realise that we don't all have $1600 to spend on a pair of jeans! :rolleyes:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hands down knowing Rover's looks and hanging out with him in New York, he should have won. the winner to me is a bit throwback ostentatious... more as shown above, Andre 3000 than himself.

I liked the guy with the suit and the trainers.

I thought the older guy just didn't cut it. He looks too plain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21