Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murder, My sweet

dostacos

Practically Family
Dick Powell as Phillip Marlowe. one of [I am still watching so not sure:eusa_doh: ] the bad guys says to Marlowe, looking out a window, "On a clear day you can see the ships in San Pedro" the movie was made in 1944

so I guess there were smog issues way back when lol lol lol

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh heck yeah. The Native Americans called what would become the L.A. Basin the "Valley of the Smokes." :)

I read a story in a 1945 issue of the Los Angeles Times that they had just outlawed back yard trash fires because of the smog.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Heh, I believe there have been smog issues for quite a long time...

Murder My Sweet is one of my favorite noirs...definitely one worth watching from time to time.

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
Great movie! As I remember it, it has a lot to do with geography. The air currents off the sea keep all the smog trapped against the mountains bordering the L.A. basin. It's pretty disgusting until it rains, but I never realised it until I moved away. Oddly, I still miss it!

dostacos

Practically Family
Oh, I know. I was born in East LA:D my grandparents had a backyard incinerator, like a big built in BBQ but NO WHERE to cook :) and there were people in the neighborhood that still used it in the 50s.

When I was growing up we had a view of LA to Palos Verdes and "ON a clear day" we could see Catalina Island;) On really clear days we would watch the boats going to Avalon [with a telescope]

SNIPPED the rant that was turning too political:eek:

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've often flown into Ontario, CA and looked down to see the soupy yellow haze we'd descend through as we landed.

It was very refreshing when the Santa Ana Winds were blowing west and all the pollution was blown out to sea.

dostacos

Practically Family
carter said:
I've often flown into Ontario, CA and looked down to see the soupy yellow haze we'd descend through as we landed.

It was very refreshing when the Santa Ana Winds were blowing west and all the pollution was blown out to sea.
LOL, when the Santa Ana's blow I think it all goes up my nose along with all the pollen in 4 counties:eek:

I remember in the late seventies in San Jose I would walk out of my office and looking across the street [a small street] the air was ORANGE:eek: maybe that's where the saying "never trust air you cannot see, or taste" comes from:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs