Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murder Mystery Party / Evenings

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I know that other people have mentioned attending Murder Mystery Parties but I couldn't find a dedicated thread, where people could share experience and perhaps recommend some good ones.

I had my experience in July when a friend asked me to arrange one for his 21st, so it was on to eBay and I pick one up for about £5.00 all in.
We had a splendid time and everyone thoughroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I have undertaken the task of writing my own. I'm hoping to host it this Saturday.

I'll post an update after the event.

Has anyone else done something similar?

Inky

One Too Many
I did one for my husband's 30th birthday some years ago. I don't remember much except that it was really fun and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It really got folks to socialize and wander around the house and mingle.

Ours was 30's themed and folks seemed to enjoy dressing up!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
zetwal said:
I have not. But it sounds interesting. How does it work?

There are some variations I think. But this is the type we are doing:

You are given a setting, for example 1920s Jazz Club.
Someone has been murdered, the victim isn't played by anyone.
Each of the guests plays a character who was in the vicinity at the time and so is a suspect.
The aim is to guess which character committed the murder.

Characters are given a back-story booklet that they don't show to anyone else. The murderer knows who they are from the booklet, this must be kept secret.
The booklet is divided into sections, one for each round.
Each round you read the information about your character and then have to talk the other characters tying to find out more infomation.

Each section has facts about your character, questions that you have to ask certain characters and facts about your character that you have to tell.

In the final round, seven is this case, each character make their accusation and states why.

You usually invite 6 - 12 people, 8 seems typical, to the party.
Each is given a character in advance, with directions of dress and personality.
Once the guests have arrived they have to remain in charcter for the whole evening.

There are quite a number of sets available which have all you need inside "Murder Mystery Party" is one particular brand.
I hope this helps.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the Swan River Colony the local lending libraries have copies of the how to host a murder board games,however, they usually provide photocopies of the original documents/intructions, but they are topping fun!!, do allow the game to play out over a four or five course dinner though!!"

103312_AffairDismemberContents_400x294.jpg

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
but they are topping fun!!, do allow the game to play out over a four or five course dinner though!!"

103312_AffairDismemberContents_400x294.jpg

now thats the type of evening id love to host!!
but my small flat isnt suitable....oi love cooking for dinner parties.:eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Never been to a commercially run 'event' type evening, but I have been to a few amateur nights, and written and run a coupel of those myself. Also been at friends' when they have had them, one written by the host, and one a commercial product. Good fun.

Friends did it at home and it was fun but there's a fair amount of work to doing it. Some people seem to a a natural ability for this type of play acting and as one participates in these the ability to bring added realism and better flow should improve too.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
There are some variations I think. But this is the type we are doing:

You are given a setting, for example 1920s Jazz Club.
Someone has been murdered, the victim isn't played by anyone.
Each of the guests plays a character who was in the vicinity at the time and so is a suspect.
The aim is to guess which character committed the murder.

Characters are given a back-story booklet that they don't show to anyone else. The murderer knows who they are from the booklet, this must be kept secret.
The booklet is divided into sections, one for each round.
Each round you read the information about your character and then have to talk the other characters tying to find out more infomation.

Each section has facts about your character, questions that you have to ask certain characters and facts about your character that you have to tell.

In the final round, seven is this case, each character make their accusation and states why.

You usually invite 6 - 12 people, 8 seems typical, to the party.
Each is given a character in advance, with directions of dress and personality.
Once the guests have arrived they have to remain in charcter for the whole evening.

There are quite a number of sets available which have all you need inside "Murder Mystery Party" is one particular brand.
I hope this helps.

That's exactly the murder mystery party I attended once. It's fun to stay in character the whole time. One of the men at the party came dressed as a jazz age matron, with seamed stockings, great makeup and very realistic, uh, breasts. At the end of the evening, we all wanted to check out his outfit and feel the padding - the neighbors, shocked, could see us clearly thru the big window and must have wondered just what type of event was being hosted. :D

Panache

A-List Customer
I and a group of friends went through the whole catalogue of "How to Host a Murder" games many years ago. We always dressed up and had great fun.

I should note that these games feature horrible puns and that some are more enjoyable than others.

If it still available "Last Train to Paris" was the very best of the bunch in our group's collective opinion.

I rather enjoyed playing a character named Khover T. Agente ... ;)

Cheers

Jamie

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Well the murder mystery party "Murder Hits The Headlines" seemed to go off quite well night, everyone seemed to have enjoyed themselves, which was certainly my aim.

I was actually impressed at how some of my friends who are usually a little more reserved took to their roles. I think the key to a good party is for everyone to play the roles with gusto (hopefully not too much in the case of the murderer's character).

We also did a bit of a mock up of the crime scene with a white chalk outline and the murder weapon (a cricket bat) and few other props.

There were a variety of accusations, no-one thought that I did it though; I must have a honest face, luckily one person did correctly identify the murderer and so they did not manage to escape, free to commit again.

Edward, I was interested that you said that you have written a few yourself. What role do you play in the stories that you have written? Naturally you know who the murderer is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo