Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Murder Mystery Party / Evenings

Edward

Bartender
Ethan Bentley said:
Edward, I was interested that you said that you have written a few yourself. What role do you play in the stories that you have written? Naturally you know who the murderer is.

Glad this thread has popped up again, I missed this question the last time... The ones I wrote were designed for a rather larger group than an in-home dinner party (around 70 people, split into five or so teams). One I fronted myself as the detective, the other I played one of the suspects (a priest). The format I ran these on was actually based on the old Cluedo TV series in the UK - back in the 80s, if you remember it. There were three pre-scripted scenes, each with a different pairing of the suspects, with teams also being given written clues and allowed several opportunities to question the suspects in between each 'scene'.

A friend who has written a few, one of which I have attended, has variously played the detective, the murderer and the victim / victim's ghost.

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Now though I haven't hosted a murder mystery game.. I am a member of a group who host our own living-history weekend. Now the difference between what we do and what you will see at your typical reenactments is that there are no spectators and you are encouraged to really live the adventure.

We hold our weekends on private land with a turn of the century styled town (about ten buildings, including a hotel and saloon). Players arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday. each player is issued game money, which is spent on food and drink (All of which is provided through the weekend)Everyone assumes the persona of a character and go from there. If for some reason your character meets a tragic fate, you return to your room, change to a different character and start over, with the understanding that your new character cannot blindly go looking for revenge or has any knowledge from the first character.

Now though most of the games have been wild west. Last October we threw in a supernatural theme, which was lots of work to keep everything timed correctly and keep the story on track.

The problem that we had was that these events are geared to be enjoyed in more of a free-styled manner. If you take away people's option to make their own decisions or restrict their options, it's not going to be fun. But in order to keep the storyline moving, you still need to have some control...Hence the balancing act!

Don't even ask about trying to implement smoke and special effects...GRRRR!

You are very brave for taking the helm on such a venture. But my advice is don't try to do it alone!! If you recruit one or two additional hands to help with certain things, you will be able to enjoy yourself that much more. Plus if you delegate tasks to others, you don't necessarily need to inform them about the other.

Also, don't break the bank trying to fund this yourself. This is a slippery slope when trying to create a budget for such events. You want it to be huge, but you have to be realistic.

Drop me a PM if you need any other advice or suggestions

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
She is very suspicious and she was a Congresswomen. Only one person guessed her though, most thought it was Dowling but I think that is just because my friend was rather shifty.

All of the pre-written I have come across (including the Tim Curry Cluedo Movie) have been rather racy, this subsequently has influenced my own style. Lots of affairs etc. has anyone else noticed this?

I do have a friend who want to write another Star Trek themed one ( a prebox is available) and would like to me to collaborate so we'll see how that goes.

My next project (for Christmas) is a Pirate-themed one which will have ten characters (instead of the usual eight).

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Edward said:
A friend who has written a few, one of which I have attended, has variously played the detective, the murderer and the victim / victim's ghost.

I like these ideas. So far I have played a suspect (really didn't work) the Barman (Ted Teddington) at the Hotel where the murder occurred and Dr. Watson. In the next one I'm going to be the Governor of Sellers Island (where the mystery is set).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters