Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music for a wedding

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Hello all,

While I do not post here often, I read and browse the pictures far too often. As such I have noticed that there is a certain taste & culture here on this board which is hard to find elsewhere, and therefore I'm hoping you might be able to help me figure out a question for the music choice at a wedding. Yes, I'm getting married :)

As I'm rather terrible at planning such an event,the lady takes care of most of the details. However, I was asked to put together the 'playlist' for over dinner. Now, we know exactly what we want to hear, and I'm ashamed I can not 'google' search the songs by name, simply because I do not know the names of the songs! But I am 100% sure you will know, or at least some of you.

The music I'm after, probably only exists in MONO versions (which is part of the charm!). It is jazz and the period where everyone put mufflers on the trumpets and so on. I found some songs from the 'roaring twenties' era, which all fit the bill so I'm guessing it is music typical for that period, but again I don't know. But there is one issue, in the twenties everyone felt the need to sing in the songs. As it is for background music during the dinner (which lasts many hours over here) I want it to give an old school 'garden party' vibe, and be without voice. So purely instrumental (without being boring). If you take an artist like Herbie Hancock for example, that is NOT what I'm after. It is not that same feeling as that very old but very nice jazz.

Can anyone point me to some names of artists or groups or even compilations I can buy on internet, that regroup this type of music? If you take for example Edith Piaf's "La vie en rose" but imagine the song without her voice (like in the Pixar movie Wall-e), that's the type of music we're after. I think it is the greatest music ever made on this planet. Luckily, my future wife thinks the same :)

Now, just to be clear, I'm not asking for jazz from the roaring twenties, just that style of jazz and preferably without too much lyrics. I will link here to a youtube song which should point in the 'taste 'direction I'm after.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qb_sxn68Yw
Now, here at the middle/end Rudy starts singing, we'd rather not have this for most songs. So the minority of songs to have vocals, but the rest of it just instrumentals where the voice is replaced by say a sax or a trumpet.

Other example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmBJQT4JrCU&feature=related
This one is right on the money. EVen though there is voice, I mean, it is perfect :)

You can not imagine how much I am thankful for ANY help on this one. I'm sure this question is totally unclear, but perhaps after some of your suggestions I'll be able to narrow it down a little :)

Edit: Oh another thing, if anyone watched or watches the series a BoardWalk Empire, there's a lot of this type of music in there in the background as well. Can never figure out the song names though.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations, I'm very happy for you! :)

I have a suggestion for a compilation that fits your description. It's not period music, but it's beautifully romantic: Werner Tautz's "Sweet and Swing". You can listen and download it at this site (search "Werner Tautz" and click on "Sweet and Swing"). The song "Honeymoon Swoon" is my favourite, and ever since I've heard it I've wanted to play it at my own wedding.

You might find some other songs by Tautz that work. All of his music is instrumental, and he compiles it according to mood. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner