Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music recommendations

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Can anyone recommend me some great Jazz or Swing or Big Band artists from the 20s-40s? I'm talking along the lines of Duke Ellington or Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman....I'm talking mostly the stuff that would've been in dancing halls in the WWII era, all the sort of boppy Swing that's in the old Disney films/shorts from that era.

Also need some great 50s-early 60s Doo Wop and/or R&B artists or songs, along the lines of Hello Stranger by Barbara Lewis or Smokey Places by The Corsairs

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Disney film swing", but there are hundreds of jazz, dancehall and big band orchestras.

You can't go wrong with Duke Ellington - he covers the spectrum of commercial to artistic and experimental swing, and a lot of this kind of music originates with him.

Plus, his career and development of swing spans from the 1920s Cotton Club material, through 1930s smaller orchestras, through 40s big band, right though to big band soundtracks, such as Anatomy of a Murder, and reworkings of Shakespeare in the 50s & 60s (Such Sweet Thunder)

You might add to your list: Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Earl Hines, Stan Kenton, Artie Shaw, Benny Carter, Buddy Rich...the list goes on...

Check out the Chronological Classics CD releases. There are about 900 discs, many covering this period.

You probably want to check out this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?49077-Music-suggestions-20-s-30-s-big-band-amp-jazz

Last edited:

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
the sort of boppy Swing that's in the old Disney films/shorts from that era.

Try George Gershwin's music. :rolleyes: He wrote a lot of popular jazz music, but his "classical" pieces sound more like what you mention: Rhapsody in Blue, American in Paris, but also some less known gems like the Second Rhapsody, Cathfish Row suite, Variations on 'I got rhythm', Cuban Overture or Lullaby.

Best regards, Dr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo