Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music to put you in the mood

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Billie, Ella, Glenn, Ray, "Yardbird", Basie, Duke, Sarah, Dinah, Artie, Mingus, Monk, Coltrane, Davis, Benny, Dizzy, Dorsey, Lionel, Nat, The Temptations, The Supremes, Marvin...all these folks get me in the mood and i just can't help but to do "The Cosby" all over the place...such great music you can't get anymore...to me that is...

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've been listening to old CDs of mine lately and here's another song I love. The video isn't great but it's the only one I could find. Ivor Novello had quite a range--And Her Mother Came Too is very funny and this one will break your heart with it's sweetness. Jeremy Northam has a very nice voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TAEzFuPXYo

I can give you the starlight
Love unchanging and true
I can give you the ocean
Deep and tender devotion
I can give you the mountains
Pools of shimmering blue
Call and I can be
All you ask of me
Music in spring
Flowers for a king
All these I bring to you

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
Some tunes I just can't live without:

Let's fall in love - Any version/Cole Porter
Moonglow
Let's misbehave - another Cole Porter
Fever - Peggy Lee version
Alexanders Ragtime Band - Al Jolson
Que Sera Sara - Doris day and Frank
Sway - Dino
You made me love you - Al Jolson ( I do my hair to this one!)

and so many more I cant even think of right now! lol

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
JitterBugJenny said:
Some tunes I just can't live without:

Let's fall in love - Any version/Cole Porter

I think it's called "Let's Do It" and/or "Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)" either way its a greeeat song...i love the Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald version :D

and my favorite Billie song is a tie between "Until The Real Thing Comes Along" and "The Very Thought Of You" but any song of hers will do....she even puts me to sleep when i can't :eusa_doh: lol

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Flivver said:
A while back, I was visiting a friend in Michigan who owns a 1941 Cadillac Convertible Sedan. We took the car out for a ride and he was careful to tune the radio to CKLW-AM which, at that time, was broadcasting only big band music.

So there we were, cruising up I-75 at 80 mph, top down, with Glenn Miller blaring from the radio! Possibly the closest thing to a time machine I've ever experienced!

OT, but I had to say something...CKLW! Oh Flivver, I know the station so well and was thrilled to see it mentioned! I grew up on Lake Erie and lived with my grandparents for a number of years and this was ALWAYS on the radio in the car. There's a special place in my heart for that radio station :) What I wouldn't do to have a moment like that, you lucky duck!

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Sway by Dean Martin. And surprisingly, the version made by the Pussycat Dolls ain't that bad either albeit a bit more rythmy.

Bebop

Practically Family
As I look out my window, just past my computer, I can't help but think that "Autumn Leaves" would be the appropriate "mood" song at this moment.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Sam_Marlow_PI said:
Good ol' King Cole and "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" ooooh boy, now thats a song, jack!

Good call! I love that song, and it's so vintage too with the verses about vests and powder and combs. (sigh).

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Not a huge fan of Jazz, Swing, Big Band etc, but something about "Sing Sing Sing" by Benny Goodman makes me just want to get up and dance!

carter

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
I've been listening to old CDs of mine lately and here's another song I love....Ivor Novello had quite a range...this one will break your heart with it's sweetness. Jeremy Northam has a very nice voice.

I can give you the starlight
Love unchanging and true
I can give you the ocean
Deep and tender devotion
I can give you the mountains
Pools of shimmering blue
Call and I can be
All you ask of me
Music in spring
Flowers for a king
All these I bring to you

I love this song and this film! What is the name of the song and the decade?

Jeremy Northam is an actor we don't see nearly enough of. I thought he'd be excellent as James Bond in the classic Ian Fleming style.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
I love this song and this film! What is the name of the song and the decade?

Jeremy Northam is an actor we don't see nearly enough of. I thought he'd be excellent as James Bond in the classic Ian Fleming style.

It's Ivor Novello's "I Can Give you the Starlight". As far as I can tell, it was written for the show The Dancing Years in 1939 which surprised me--I'd have sworn it was from the 1920's, it just has that sound. I wish I could find a complete version of Northam singing it online but I've been unable to do so. Northam's version can be found on the Gosford Park soundtrack.

I agree with you about Northam--he saved Emma for me. Wish we'd see more of him on screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot