Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music to put you in the mood

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
It's Ivor Novello's "I Can Give you the Starlight". As far as I can tell, it was written for the show The Dancing Years in 1939 which surprised me--I'd have sworn it was from the 1920's, it just has that sound. I wish I could find a complete version of Northam singing it online but I've been unable to do so. Northam's version can be found on the Gosford Park soundtrack.

I agree with you about Northam--he saved Emma for me. Wish we'd see more of him on screen.

I LOVE Jeremy! For a nice vintage feel I watch him in Enigma, for an extra extra vintage feel I watch Emma or Posession

What can I hear him sing in??

zaika

One Too Many
this morning i was standing at my bus stop. it was gray and overcast and chilly...perfect weather. i called up my 1920's/30's playlist on my iPod and Ray Noble was the first to pop up. i had downloaded a ton of songs he did with the singer Al Bowlly. i'm sure you all have heard that combo. anyway, the song "Midnight, the Stars and You" came on and...boy, the biggest wave of nostaglia swept over me. i sat on that bus listening to the song over and over again. it's still playing in my head as i sit here "working." but i can't shake that nostalgic feeling. i feel closer to my relatives today. my grandfather, for instance, seems almost real to me even though i never knew him. it's like he's here listening to the music with me, hand on my shoulder, smiling along with me.

odd...isn't it? does music do that to anyone else? or am i just wierd? lol

CharlieH.

One Too Many
zaika said:
this morning i was standing at my bus stop. it was gray and overcast and chilly...perfect weather. i called up my 1920's/30's playlist on my iPod and Ray Noble was the first to pop up. i had downloaded a ton of songs he did with the singer Al Bowlly. i'm sure you all have heard that combo. anyway, the song "Midnight, the Stars and You" came on ...

Every time I hear that song I immediately think of myself in a 1920's group photo inside a haunted hotel...

zaika

One Too Many
CharlieH. said:
Every time I hear that song I immediately think of myself in a 1920's group photo inside a haunted hotel...

:rolleyes: haha. somehow i KNEW that would come up. that WAS my favorite part of the movie, though. i used to (and still do) wish that i was right there with jack. lol only not dead or absorbed by a haunted hotel or anything...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
zaika said:
this morning i was standing at my bus stop. it was gray and overcast and chilly...perfect weather. i called up my 1920's/30's playlist on my iPod and Ray Noble was the first to pop up. i had downloaded a ton of songs he did with the singer Al Bowlly. i'm sure you all have heard that combo. anyway, the song "Midnight, the Stars and You" came on and...boy, the biggest wave of nostaglia swept over me. i sat on that bus listening to the song over and over again. it's still playing in my head as i sit here "working." but i can't shake that nostalgic feeling. i feel closer to my relatives today. my grandfather, for instance, seems almost real to me even though i never knew him. it's like he's here listening to the music with me, hand on my shoulder, smiling along with me.

odd...isn't it? does music do that to anyone else? or am i just wierd? lol

In a previous version of myself, I was an Emergency Medical Technician. One of the things we learned during our training was that hearing is one of the last senses to fail someone as they lose consciousness. Therefore, I would think that music can stir very deep feelings, and remind us of places and people long ago. Happens to me frequently. Amazing that you can be so transported to a specific time and place :) :)

I'm out of town this week and am kicking myself for missing the storm!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR