Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Especially if they can drum. My first taste of The Band was "Big Pink." I was 16 at the time. That LP really woke up my ears.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Especially if they can drum. My first taste of The Band was "Big Pink." I was 16 at the time. That LP really woke up my ears.

and Levon could certainly play drums
he wasn't a technician ... none of my favorites are ... he played MUSIC on the drums
most of my favorite players ... like Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Roy Haynes, Levon Helm, Steve Jordan, Keith Moon, Jim Keltner, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Jim Gordon , Roger Hawkins , Zig Modeliste... etc... the guys were not supreme technicians doing drum acrobatics ... they were musicians playing the song ... feeling every note they played

that is what speaks to me ... and that is why my love for Levon is so deep

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
and Levon could certainly play drums
he wasn't a technician ... none of my favorites are ... he played MUSIC on the drums
most of my favorite players ... like Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Roy Haynes, Levon Helm, Steve Jordan, Keith Moon, Jim Keltner, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Gadd, Jim Gordon , Roger Hawkins , Zig Modeliste... etc... the guys were not supreme technicians doing drum acrobatics ... they were musicians playing the song ... feeling every note they played

that is what speaks to me ... and that is why my love for Levon is so deep
Right. I'm put off by sterile techicians. I dont care how technically proficient a player is. "It don't mean a thing..."

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Right. I'm put off by sterile techicians. I dont care how technically proficient a player is. "It don't mean a thing..."
yessir ... we agree there

in my world ... which happens to have me surrounded by musicians 24/7 ... the opinion we agree on is sometimes the minority .... unfortunately

all fireworks and no substance has me heading for the door

no grease in your groove, time for me to move

give me 4 meaningful notes in one measure over 50 that mean nothing

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
yessir ... we agree there

in my world ... which happens to have me surrounded by musicians 24/7 ... the opinion we agree on is sometimes the minority .... unfortunately

all fireworks and no substance has me heading for the door

no grease in your groove, time for me to move

give me 4 meaningful notes in one measure over 50 that mean nothing
You know it. "Less is more."

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
When I first heard GnR on a record, I thought "this is the greatest band in the world". Then I saw them live, and thought "this is the worst band in the world".

I never got to see the Appetite line up ... by the time I saw them Steven Alder and Izzy were gone and they had moved on to the piano rock sound of Use Your Illusion ... I always liked the rawness of the Appetite sound much better

when I saw them Slash was fantastic and flawless ... but the band as a whole was uninspired and bland ... and Axl was pretty horrible and seemed completely disinterested ... he also left the stage early two nights in a row and the band kept playing for about 30 minutes looking around as if to say ...oh no not again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters