Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As has been mentioned earlier, Stevie Ray Vaugh was one musician that cannot be remembered without his Strat and iconic flat telescoped crowned flat brimmed hat. I knew him having met him in Dallas in the eary 70s and after he got to Austin and Texas Hatters you almost never saw him without this hat or a variation of it on his head. As he told me , "...Manny will always make my hats" ( Manny Gammage original owner of Texas Hatters in Austin) . They still make the SAME hat as Stevie wore. One which many folks think is a western hat was a light tan version of the dark one which had the brim slightly curled at the sides from handling. Here's a pic of it with a white plume in it from the early 80s when he started putting them in the hatband.

imagesCAWR51HX.jpg

here are two are earlier versions of the hat Manny made for him:

imagesCAOCE94F.jpg

imagesCAOUL038.jpg

James71

A-List Customer
Ive got a gig tonight at a swish black tie party.... Im thinking Black suit with a subtle pin stripe, waistcoat, white shirt and black tie. Its hot here at the moment so I will probably end up losing the jacket.

The question is..... Black Akubra Bogart or Moonstone Akubra Stylemaster?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Because its black tie Id say to wear the black Bogart, although I think the Moonstone would look super, too.

What I think I would do in that situation is to switch hats back and forth just before leaving for the gig, and go with the gut.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Some of my favorite hat-wearing musicians: Giacomo Puccini, Erik Satie, Les Claypool.
giacomo6.jpg
[/IMG]
ahynhmv3lnlhjr0rycbnn24.jpg
[/IMG]
lesclaypool1.jpg
[/IMG]

found from google searches.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
one of my fun ones... with Golden Gate Western Wear's wool felt Bat Masterson.
Actually am a full-time musician, but the ole guitfiddle leans more toward the hobby side.
ggwwfun.jpg
[/IMG]

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
For those of you who wear hats and play in bands... Do you have a go to hat for shows, that differs than one you would normally go for?

I've found my fedora's are more practical for live show, over say a western hat. So I have my go to hat when my band has a gig, but its not the one I would normally grab when I leave the house.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Most the places I play don't really have that No-Hat feel to them. Very rough, country folks for the most part. I also play for church, but I would never wear a hat there, unless I was involved with a play or the like.
I find a hat is very useful on stage for me.

It's his 70th birthday.

Great post and pictures. I saw him on 12th Avenue in NYC a few years back, walking with two big bodyguards. We were the only people on the block. As we walked past each other he glanced up and said with his eyes - I know you know who I am, now just keep walking. I did. It was a big thrill.

Man, that was a fast 50 years.

ebb

New in Town
I dont know how many of you ar Lynyrd Skynyrd fans. Most of you know them by the popular hits "Free Bird" , and "Sweet Home Alabama". Recetnly the lead guitarist Gary Rossington has started wearing a cool Fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner