Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Neither does this guy anymore.

0b6cfc8717bea543ec7701640f425bcf.JPG

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Eric, great anecdote! I'll have to keep an ear out for this guy. Blues are an area in which I need to dig into some serious education.

Jared, I've always wanted to get into The Pogues, but for some reason haven't yet. I've been hearing about this loss all day. I suppose there's no time like the present to start listening. What would you recommend for a first album?

JT, you guys look great up there!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
GamaH, if you look at pics of Chabad chassidim in the 60s and 70s (and you probably know this already) you'll see a lot of variety in the hats--definitely more stingies, if nothing else. Rav Shmuel is just hearkening to another time! And to stay on topic, I really dig 8th Day. ^.^

A

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments guys. I have been finding out that the music communitee is friendly, open and supportive of more novice players like me. They really love the music and are quite open to sharing the music. This is different from the athletic or business enviornments I have experienced. Roy was a genuine fellow, who I admire for his vast experience and being a honest to gosh travleing modern acoustic bluesman. He is a 70 year old bluesman who is a national treasure.

The house concert and local club circuit here in MPLS. is superb. They work hard on supporting and booking musicnas. I can sit less than 10 ft. from national class acoustic musicians almost every week. It is a luxury that I do not take for granted. This coming week I have to choose to listen to Pat Donohue (of Prairrie Home Companion fame) or the duo of Phil Heywood (Winfield winner) and Tim Sparks(another Winfield winner). It is a hard choice.:D;)

Lots and Gama; Thanks for introducing me to the music you fellows listen to. I have had a listen to the guys you have referenced. Good listen.

Glad to share. best to all, Eric -

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Jared, I've always wanted to get into The Pogues, but for some reason haven't yet. I've been hearing about this loss all day. I suppose there's no time like the present to start listening. What would you recommend for a first album?

JT, you guys look great up there!

I'd go for If I Should Fall From Grace with God. The title track is one of their best known songs. It also has the Christmas classic "Fairytale of New York," which to this day is routinely voted Britain's favorite Christmas song, as well as the excellent "Thousands are Sailing," penned by Mr. Chevron.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Lots and Gama; Thanks for introducing me to the music you fellows listen to. I have had a listen to the guys you have referenced. Good listen.

Glad you enjoyed it, Eric! I'm sure you'd find some really bluesy stuff amongst klezmer music, too, that might fit your ear just right.

klezmatics-por.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
bowlerman - for Pogues, it's "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash" for sure. Lots of good stuff on there, produced by Elvis Costello, I believe. More Irish-themed stuff than later albums, and it's got the classic "Dirty Old Town." Just my .02, but I've been listening to the Pogues since they had most of their own teeth. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran