Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I play guitar, but not well enough to play out. Nevertheless, I dream of owning this one day:

eed8648b.jpg

1939 Epiphone Emperor

I think I need to be alone for a bit...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yeah Reno! That's beautiful!

I play a 1994 model Epiphone Emperor Regent, it's a smooth axe to play jazz on. One of my best buddies puts down his Gretsch White Falcon to dash out a tune or two on the Epiphone! The look of my box hasn't changed much from the '39, but the quality of those vinatge instruments, the richness of the sound they generate, is something else!

What music do you like to play?

jay_b

Familiar Face
I play guitar and do perform live from time to time. I play for church services every now and then, and I played with the Acadia University Jazz Big Band this past year. That has been a great experiance. Right now I'm trying to put together a rockabilly band. I'm playing an '05 Gretsch 6120SSU and an Epiphone Wildkat right now, though the Epi. doesn't see much action now that I have the Gretsch. And I haven't worn a fedora yet while performing but that could always change.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
What music do you like to play?

I love the "chunk-chunk" Freddie Green stuff. I enjoy just about anything that was written before about 1960, but my heart is in the 30s. I have to admit I even like the occasional classic rock tune.:eek:

I agree about the Emperor Regent. I have one ('98) and I probably play it more than anything else I have. Unfortunately, I have more toys than talent.:)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dig Freddie Green too

When I first played a lot of jazz chords, I listened to his comping a lot. He had a rhythm style that was something else.

The last year or so I've gotten into Django big time, courtesy of Robin Nolan's easy-to-follow books and CD's. Of course, now that means I want to buy a Maccaferri-style guitar to get that chunky sound . . .

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Cabinetman said:
Not trying to be a moderator, just offering a suggestion or two.
You're right. I often have to watch my tongue, not have to, but am compelled to out of simple consideration for others; but it's harder when you're online because, well, because you're not using your tongue :eusa_doh:Isn't there an old saying something like: you can take the boy out of the New Yorker but you can't take the New Yorker out of the boy? If there isn't, I just said it, and that'd be me.

magneto

Practically Family
I started out playing punk-rock bass (in my closet), while bored and unemployed taught myself to read music and play guitar (also in my closet) on a Les Paul Deluxe (now have a Danelectro, 'tho I really haven't played seriously in a couple years). I like Wes Montgomery and play with 3 fingers in the same fashion (perhaps this should go in the "weird things about you" thread.) Never played onstage, and happy not to :)

Magus

Practically Family
What I am playing

I currently play a 1969 Martin D18 ( amazing sound) and this sweetie...a Heritage 575, perhaps one of the best guitars I have ever played....simply wonderful.

Heritage%20575.jpg

M

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Piano, but not in public. Last time I did play in public was at my FIL's 60th-birthday party, where I gave the background pianist, playing roughly jazz from Jelly Roll Morton and Gershwin through to Sinatra-style arrangements. Ah yes, and some Art Tatum transcriptions. And some more Art Tatum transcriptions.

Classical piano, singing, out of cantorial, and (serious) recorder - well, I was a teenager when I last played for a larger crowd.

_tone

New in Town
i always wear hat, usually a porkpie, when i play out. i play guitars and guitarish things like ukes and banjos and play jazzy bluesy folky original music. i apologize for having no avatar or photo. you can go to our website for a look or a listen. www.darylectones.com
this is a great site by the way.

Fedora

Vendor
I play guitar. I currently only own 2. A Heritage LP clone, and a G and L Strat clone. Both better than the current Gibsons and Fenders. I use the Strat for blues and the LP for heavier stuff, mostly what some would call southern rock, like the old Allman Bros, and Skynyrd. I grew up around lots of music, but it was what is today called Bluegrass. I play the blues, so I wear a hat. I like to steal from Robert Johnson and create new arrangements. Electrofied compositions, with influences of Hendrix, Trower and SRV. Fedora

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Magus, lovely guitar indeed. I'm fortunate to have a 1963 Precision bass that my parents bought for me in 1967 or so. Wonderful instrument. I enjoy some of the older off-brands such as Univox and Lyle as well. I have hollow-body Univox and Lyle basses and a hollow-body Lyle six-string, all electrics.

My daughter has a nice Alvarez dreadnought guitar that has a lovely warm sound, and an Ovation Celebrity that's a great player.

Here's the Univox bass - prettiest sunburst finish I've ever seen:

Univox335copy.jpg

Here's the Lyle six-string (click on the shot for a larger view:

157844583XKJYgx_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]​

Michael D

Familiar Face
I play guitar in my folk group. I've been playing for 40 years. Whenever I play out I wear a hat, have for years. It's just part of my 'look'.

I've got a 12 string Martin, and an OM18 and an M38 (Martins too).

I went to GIT (Guitar Insititue of Technology) in 1981. I was in Scott Henderson's (of Tribal Tech) class. He was so far beyond me it wasn't funny. :(

Mike

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Michael D said:
I play guitar in my folk group. I've been playing for 40 years. Whenever I play out I wear a hat, have for years. It's just part of my 'look'.

I've got a 12 string Martin, and an OM18 and an M38 (Martins too).

I went to GIT (Guitar Insititue of Technology) in 1981. I was in Scott Henderson's (of Tribal Tech) class. He was so far beyond me it wasn't funny. :(

Mike
That's way cool. Howard Roberts, who I think helped started GIT?, is the baddest jazz guitarist ever in my book (as they say, H.R. is a dirty guitar player).

I once did a week-long master's-class with Tuck Andress of Tuck and Patti, who is doing things with solo fingerstyle that simply have never been done before. To say that he was way beyond me would be an understatement. He liked me because everyone else in the class was like his devotee, where I had come across the workshop by accident, so I sort of brought him back down to earth a bit (I'd say things like, "So this piece we're looking at, is this something you recorded?" to find the whole room turned to look at me in horror). At the time I was all folk/blues/acoustic/Michael-Hedges-esque, surrounded by a dozen pro jazz players. Tuck was very encouraging of me to play in front of the others, as he'd heard my demo tape, but I felt like an elephant in a China shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo