Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

Michael D

Familiar Face
adamgottschalk said:
That's way cool. Howard Roberts, who I think helped started GIT?, is the baddest jazz guitarist ever in my book (as they say, H.R. is a dirty guitar player).

Yeah, Howard was one of the founding members of GIT in 1977. He got together with Pat Hicks and Tommy Tedesco and founded the school. Tommy was one of Howard's top pupils. He went from playing Italian mandolin style to being a studio guitarist in a year by following Howard's curriculum. This curriculum was the basis for GIT. Tommy was one of LA's top studio ace guitarists in the 60's, 70's and 80's, playing on records, and movie and TV soundtracks.

I thought, if Tommy can do it why not me? Well, I learned a lot but didn't become a studio guitarist.

Gibson developed the Howard Roberts model guitar (according to his specs) and it was a prize to the voted best guitarist in the class the year I went to GIT. I didn't win it. :p

Coincidentally it looks a lot like the Heritage guitar displayed in an earlier post in this thread.

Mike

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Only for (dreaded) ceremonies....

I played bass trombone for 36 years, (well, tenor trombone for the first six). Almost never wore a hat in performance (and never a fedora) because twenty-two of those years were for the U.S. Air Force...... we wore a "different" sort of hat when required.

I developed a condition that ended my playing about a year before I retired to Library Land. I started trying to learn classical guitar a year ago -- -- a S-L-O-W but enjoyable struggle. Can't quite get my brain around trying to use so many fingers simultaneously after years of just moving my right wrist and left thumb.

It's great to see so many musicians in the Lounge. No surprise to see such talent in people with the taste to wear hats well, I guess.;)

- Mark

MattC

A-List Customer
Adam can you steer

me toward some modern cutting edge jazz that has some swing, or even a little life in it? My last two trips to the Jazz Standard in Manhattan have really left me cold. If you could name an album or two you thought embodied cutting edge but not ugly, that would be great.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
MattC said:
me toward some modern cutting edge jazz that has some swing, or even a little life in it? My last two trips to the Jazz Standard in Manhattan have really left me cold. If you could name an album or two you thought embodied cutting edge but not ugly, that would be great.
Gladly:

1. Angel Song, Kenny Wheeler/Lee Konitz/Bill Frisell/Dave Holland

2. John McLaughlin, After the Rain: the music of John Coltrane; Kenny Garrett, Pursuance: the music of John Coltrane (both albums show musicianship and sublime music far above average)

3. Courtney Pine, Devotion; if you like that, try Underground and Modern Day Jazz Stories (an insanely good player, thought by young folks to be THE voice of English jazz

4. Stephen Bernstein, Diaspora Soul (my non-jazz-listening step-mother says this is the best record she's ever heard)

5. Bugge Wesseltoft, Film Ing (an amazing keyboardists who started out mainstream and now makes 21st century music like no other. As far as I'm concerned, this one album is the best jazz record I've heard in 10 years)

6. Pachora, Astereotypical (also, band member Brad Shepik's Drip and The Well; and Chris Speed's Emit with Cuong Vu)

7. Cassandra Wilson, Blue Light 'Til Dawn, New Moon Daughter, Thunderbird, etc.

8. Kurt Elling, everything

9. Patricia Barber, Modern Cool, Fortnight in France (check the track Crash!), etc.

10. List wouldn't be complete without JOHN SCOFIELD: Meant to Be (with Lovano), What We Do (ditto), Hand Jive, En Route (great recent live trio), I Can See Your House From Here (with Metheny), Grace Under Pressure (with Frisell), That's What I Say: the music of Ray Charles, etc.

There are so many more, I don't know where to start...but, oops, I already did!

MattC

A-List Customer
Thank you very much

This is a great list, and I will get right on it this weekend. I know a few of these folks (I loved Konitz's Alone Togehter with Meldau, I've listend to a fair amount of Lovano, Frisell's stuff with Fred Hersh, Wilson of coure). I appreciate the tips.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
...Missed this thread...

Wow, I must've missed this thread while I was on vacation!

From the response to this thread, sounds like we could plan LoungeFest 2007, with musicians and lids from around the world!

Started piano/organ by 6, violin at 9, gave 'em up for guitar and bass at 13 - when the Beatles hit. I would probably be quite wealthy now if I had kept all the guitars and amps that passed through my hands by the time I was 21!!!

I have eclectic tastes from Beatles to Bosstones, Straitjackets to Setzer, and King Oliver to Kay Kyser, but currently playing surf/garage and 60's rock in the local venues a few nights a month. http://www.mcflyrecords.com/nitros/
arrgghhh! the May calendar is still on the site!!!!

I know this isn't the 'show off your guitars' thread, :eek:fftopic: but here are a few of my tools:
telesm.jpg

Fenders480.jpg

5ricks.jpg

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Barbershop!

I took up Barbershop chorus singing (I sing bass) when I retired, which gives me plenty of opportunities to perform in my favorite hats, as we often wear period costume of some kind. I still don't have a straw boater, but I suppose it's inevitable. Our next show, Barbershop and Bluegrass, is August 12th in Cleveland, TN, if anyone will be in or near SE Tennessee (just north of Chattanooga). In addition to our local chorus, the show includes Grammy nominated Bluegrass group 3rd Tyme Out, and the 2002 International Barbershop Gold-medal Champion Quartet, Four Voices. Also sing in church choir, and working on some classical vocal pieces for future growth.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
My Two Cents...

funneman said:
I've noticed a few avatars featuring FL members performing, some have made references to performing and even in some other rooms of the lounge I've seen some pretty nice instruments.

So, here's the questions, what if any instrument do you play. Do you perform live and do you wear your fedora when you are performing.

I'll start:

1-Guitar, mandolin, harmonica.

2-I played out all through high school, and then from '91 to '01, then started having kids.

3-Hatless in my R&B band, (my partner wore a Panama). An "Open Road" style Resistol and a Tom Mix style Larry Mahan made by Milano in my country band (not at the same time, LOL.)

And you....?

I myself come from a very musical family. Having sung in the church like a good Baptist boy, I've sung for years and continue. I went from Sacred Choral, to Showtunes...then to Jazz Standards. I've played Clarinet, did so for years, then went to the Sax, eventually to the Flute, then to piano. I've been thinking of starting to sing regularly again. I did it for tips in college and made some money for books and stuff. I just love to sing, and sing occasionally in San Francisco. Mostly music from our beloved period and sometimes up to the late 60's.

Again, my two cents...

Jon

Pilgrim

One Too Many
It's not surprising that we have a number ofguitar and bass players here - but Adam especially appears to be a dedicated student.

He nailed two things -

1) The bass really sets the tempo and holds the band together.

2) Singing while playing bass is one of the most difficult tasks in popular music. Singing just doesn't go with the rhythm of bass.

My compliments to Adam for managing to do both!

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Pilgrim said:
It's not surprising that we have a number ofguitar and bass players here - but Adam especially appears to be a dedicated student.

He nailed two things -

2) Singing while playing bass is one of the most difficult tasks in popular music. Singing just doesn't go with the rhythm of bass.

Thank you kindly! I still have a ways to go before I can do it as well as, say, Sting :kick:

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Qwerty's query

Well qwerty, my current favorite is the flamed tele with the Jazzmaser pickups. I wanted a Fender custom shop Will Ray model, but $4000 was steep, so I built the one you see in the picture. I played the Rick 360V64 for about 8 years, 4 nights a week; I guess it would be my long-time favorite.

Maybe in another thread we can discuss the more important component - the amp...:eek:fftopic:

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
It's not surprising that we have a number of guitar and bass players here - but Adam especially appears to be a dedicated student.

He nailed two things -

I really started on bass because nobody wanted to buy the gear back when I was in Jr High in the 60's, so I bought an Inca silver Precision and a used blonde Bassman. Truth be known, on stage I'd still rather be thumping one of my Fender basses...:cheers1:
So, Pilgrim, what genre of surf do you favor??

silvershadow

New in Town
nice to be in company with so many musicians

Hello everyone. It certainly is nice to be in the company of so many fellow musicians. I have been playing the piano professionally since the age of twelve. I play piano in the style of Liberace, and sing a bit like a combination of Mario Lanza and Robert Goulet.

I wear a Homberg mainly (occasionally a fedora) but don't wear it on stage.

regards, Glenn.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Silvershadow

Ah, another Sydneysider! Great to have you with us. Perform around the traps much, bud?

PutALidOnIt, those guitars are all simply hideous. I think you should give them all to me, and I promise I'll never tell anyone you had them . . . ;) lol

The Fedora Lounge not only looks good, it's got bucketloads of talent to boot!

havershaw

Practically Family
I've been a musician for about fifteen years, I guess. I started on piano, then played drums and wrote the songs for an alterntaive rock band for six or seven years, put out five albums, toured the States eight or nine times. Good times.

In more recent years, I moved to piano and vocals as frontman of my new band. I guess you could say it's like a combination of Ben Folds Five and the Flaming Lips. It's probably more Flaming Lips on the recordings, more Ben Folds live. There's a lot of Beach Boys in there, too, as I do love me some six-part harmony (although I have to sing all the parts myself on the record, so it's not always there live). I've been so busy lately, though, that we haven't played any shows in a year or so - longer since I recorded.

I own a recording studio now and produce records for bands. Like most working folks, I have to take a lot of jobs I don't like to pay the bills (particularly the ebay and diaper service bills). I do everything from alt-country to hardcore to rock and roll to folk. Don't get me wrong - I love my job - but the screamy bands are wearing a bit thin on me. Punk rock I can handle fine, as my musical roots are punk rock - but yeah, the screaming thing is not my favorite. As far as my favorites, it's hard to say. I did a record for a fellow from Halifax, Nova Scotia - Joel Plaskett - and that's probably my favorite record I've done. Sort of folky in an old 70s sort of way. And yes, I always wear a vintage hat and suit in the studio.

oh, I also got hired recently as piano/keyboard man for a fairly well-known alternative rock group. I managed to tour England with them recently, and it should please Lounge members to know that I played in a 30s suit in front of 12,000 rocker kids in London. In fact, on this trip, I just packed four vintage suits and that was it, so I wore suits on stage every night. I think the kids were a bit bewildered - "who's the gangster-looking guy on stage?" - but I got lots and lots of compliments, and I fended off requests to buy either my hats or ties pretty much every night. I don't normally wear suits on stage, but when playing with this group, I always do - I just like the ridiculous contrast since the other dudes all look like rockers. well, anyway, it's a job.
The hat goes on stage, then gets set on my amp. (I find that with stage lighting, if you wear a hat, the brim just shadows your face and no one can see you.) Once in a while, they'll aim a light at my eyes in a painful enough way that I'll wear the hat for the set because I can't see otherwise.

PutALidOnIt - holy smokes are those beautiful guitars. I am indeed jealous. I'll bet you have some fine, fine amps. I have quite an extensive guitar, drum, amp and bass collection myself - I bought it all for my recording studio. I wanted folks to feel like they really had a lot of choices. if you're so inclined, check it out:
www.flyingblanket.com
and then go to the gear section. you can click on each item and a photo will pop up.
Jazzmaster pickups are my favorite - although I also love P-90s and I've always wanted to put some in a Tele.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Another vocalist here

I played trombone when I was younger, and have a guitar for occasional noodling (I keep promising myself I'll pick it up again, but haven't yet), but the only thing I've gigged is voice. My tastes run to '20s and '30s stuff, crooning and the occasional comedy with as much Noel Coward as I can get away with.

No hat on stage, but it certainly appeared in pictures at the time. One of these days I'd like to get back to it.

silvershadow

New in Town
Thanks Benny

Benny Holiday said:
Ah, another Sydneysider! Great to have you with us. Perform around the traps much, bud?

Thanks Benny! Yes play quite alot, especially with Captain Cook Cruises, and the "Nostalgia" shows at the Sydney Town Hall every two or three months. 2MBS plays my recordings regularly too! Thanks for the warm welcome. When you see me around town say hello - you'll know it's me cause I don't think anyone else wears a Homberg here anymore.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
You Rock, Havershaw!

Nice studio stuff! Wish I had 1/4 of the gear you have - especially would like to have a couple of old Ampex decks and (any) tube-based setup. Of, course I would also like to have the room for it :rolleyes: !

Well, sometimes you must endure the less-than-rewarding gigs (a kind way of saying 'the screamers') to be rewarded for those that command your soul. Of course I'm a screamer myself, but more along the lines of Little Richard, Larry Williams and the rest of the rockabilly - R&B crossover legends...except with a guitar...

I have 3 custom-made amps (the "new" 58 Twin clone is one of the best I have had over 40 years) and several old and recent (80's) Fenders, and recently acquired a '68 Kustom in silver tuck 'n' roll - one of only 2 solidstates I have...:eek:fftopic:

Back on topic - I wear stingies or Panamas with Hawaiian shirts for gigs, depending upon the weather.

havershaw

Practically Family
Thanks!
Yeah, I'm fortunate to have gotten as much stuff as I have. I just picked up a sweet 1940s WFL drum set - a snare, a 13" tom, and a 26" bass drum in black and gold duco - for $350! when you see that on the Buy It Now, you pounce! I of course prefer the vintage recording gear, and don't use any computers at all in the recording. When recording heavy bands especially, the record labels love to lean on this heavily in the press. I think they think it's a gimmick. I just hate computer recording. It may be fine for some, but it ain't music to me.
But 60s and 70s are about as old as I can go in terms of gear. 30s and 40s gear isn't really practical, though I have two or three 1940s ribbon mics (which sound unbelievable) as well as a handful of 50s tube compressors. I find late 60s and 70s stuff, in terms of recording gear, to be my cup of tea sonically, though my 50s RCA tube compressor is maybe my single favorite compressor.
Those 40s ribbon mics are amazing, though. Any of the RCA mics - the 77, 44, the 74 - they are all worth every penny you'd pay for them. They don't sound dated in the slightest, and they're just beautiful. (They also look really cool, too.)
My favorite amps are the Fender Super Six and maybe the little Airline. Both amps get a lot of studio use, as well as the Vox AC-30 and the Fender Vibrochamp. the Bassman is pretty invaluable too. When we move into our new studio building, we'll have two studios running at the same time, and it won't seem like we have nearly as much stuff as we do, just because it'll be spread between two rooms. But I figure there's enough to go around, for now.
And I can totally handle the rock-n-roll screaming. I've done some of that myself from time to time. it's the 'new metal' screamy stuff I can't abide. I'm the only one of my friends who never had a metal phase. punk, yes. metal, no.
kudos again on your guitar collection. I love Fenders!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo