Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

ii-5-i

New in Town
FAMILIAR STORY

Nice thread and interesting stories about the common need to perform music.

I'm one of the posters referred to in the original post who promote my band's performances on the FL. I play guitar (primarily rhythm) in a 17 piece jazz big band called "The Big Band Sound of Deerfield". We perform all over the Chicago metro area and are especially busy during the summer months, playing all sorts of outdoor events.

My personal playing history can be summarized thusly;

1- Played lead guitar in a rock band my high school years ('63 to '67).

2- Switched to bass guitar and played in a blues band during college ('67 to '71).

3- Did no performing from 1972 to 2001.

4- At the suggestion of my wife, I took up guitar again in early 2000 and taught myself (with the help of two good instruction books) how to play rudamentary jazz guitar.

5- Joined the big band and re-taught myself the Freddie Green method of big band rhythm guitar (chord reduction) with the huge help of a fantastic web site, www.freddiegreen.org. Michael Petterson runs the site and is a big band rhythm guitar maestro. I fill in for him from time to time with his band, the "In Full Swing" big band.

If you're still with me, the most important activity I've done in my developement as a musician, (I won't say jazz musician because I'm not of that caliber) is listening as much as I can to as much jazz music of all kinds as possible. You need to be a fan before you can be serious about it.

I own a Guild X170. It's a versatile guitar for the variety of styles we play. Of course if I had my Alladin's lamp I would own an Epi Triumph for comping quarter notes and a nice bright G&L ASAT or an American Telecaster for funky leads.

Happy playing, guys.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
I am a symphony orchestra conductor, bass player and composer. Past posts have been with the Richmond VA Symphony, Buffalo Philharmonic, Phoenix Symphony and Music Director of the Monterey Symphony in Carmel CA. I did outdoor concerts and wore an Akubra, black of course. Recently for a music festival in Lexingtion MI that featured WWII style singers, I work a black fedora while playing the bass. Play in the Michigan Opera Theater orchestra...no hats but I have been on stage with a powered wig (does that count??) Although my career has been mostly in classical music, I have been fortunate enough to work with many of the great jazz singers including Ella Fitzgerald, Cab Calloway, Bobby Short, Rita Moreno, Doc Severnsen and many others.

rrog

A-List Customer
An old thread has been revived, so I'll add my two cents worth. I've played trumpet for 34 years now: school, Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, college (majored in trumpet performance) and semi-pro. As an associate pastor in a local church I'm responsible for all music. We do a full-fledged Christmas cantata/program every year with a full orchestra. I've taught trumpet for years, but have given up teaching the past few years. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day. The other reason is because it seems the parents of my students wanted their kids to play like me, but the kids didn't want to practice like me! It got to a point where I just told them they were wasting their money and my time if their kids didn't practice every day. Although I play in church fairly regularly, I only gig occasionally. Many of the gigs I get calls for are for other churches so I'm not able to play in their events because I'm expected to be in my own church during regular church times. Most of my gigs these days are weddings and funerals.

rrog

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
318088380_86a109b526.jpg

30 years playing sax, 29 on clarinet, about 3 on flute. Specialty jazz, bop and before. Used to gig quite regularly in NYC but my day seems to have passed there. I'm now in grad school (English) in Iowa and pulling in a few markers to play in local groups.

Until recently I collected saxes and clarinets the way some guys collect guitars. The above alto is a 1932 Buescher New Aristocrat, a cult instrument used mostly by a subset of classical players, and very briefly Charlie Parker (who pawned his).

I also sing Big Band style, mess around with the cornet (I have a whole octave range!), and I have a Harmony archtop in the coat closet waiting for the inevitable day when no one wants to hear music with horns anymore.

I wear hats to play when it's appropriate, which is not often, as my jobs tend to be a. too classy or b. not classy enough.

thinkfloyd

New in Town
ii-5-i said:
Nice thread and interesting stories about the common need to perform music.

I'm one of the posters referred to in the original post who promote my band's performances on the FL. I play guitar (primarily rhythm) in a 17 piece jazz big band called "The Big Band Sound of Deerfield". We perform all over the Chicago metro area and are especially busy during the summer months, playing all sorts of outdoor events.

My personal playing history can be summarized thusly;

1- Played lead guitar in a rock band my high school years ('63 to '67).

2- Switched to bass guitar and played in a blues band during college ('67 to '71).

3- Did no performing from 1972 to 2001.

4- At the suggestion of my wife, I took up guitar again in early 2000 and taught myself (with the help of two good instruction books) how to play rudamentary jazz guitar.

5- Joined the big band and re-taught myself the Freddie Green method of big band rhythm guitar (chord reduction) with the huge help of a fantastic web site, www.freddiegreen.org. Michael Petterson runs the site and is a big band rhythm guitar maestro. I fill in for him from time to time with his band, the "In Full Swing" big band.

If you're still with me, the most important activity I've done in my developement as a musician, (I won't say jazz musician because I'm not of that caliber) is listening as much as I can to as much jazz music of all kinds as possible. You need to be a fan before you can be serious about it.

I own a Guild X170. It's a versatile guitar for the variety of styles we play. Of course if I had my Alladin's lamp I would own an Epi Triumph for comping quarter notes and a nice bright G&L ASAT or an American Telecaster for funky leads.

Happy playing, guys.

Good for you sir! I was a musician (lead in a rock band), but quit a couple of months ago, just before our second album was nationally released. I just grew tired of the "rock n roll" lifestyle and wanted to devote myself to my family first... but am now learning to play Jazz myself, and plan to play professionally again in the future (if I get good enough with my jazz playing. Studying Manouche, or Gypsy jazz).

*my avatar is from my rock band days. :)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
havershaw said:
I did a record for a fellow from Halifax, Nova Scotia - Joel Plaskett - and that's probably my favorite record I've done. Sort of folky in an old 70s sort of way. And yes, I always wear a vintage hat and suit in the studio.

La De Da is a fantastic album. One of my all time favorites. You should be proud.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Fletch, it's good to see another sax man on the Lounge. I'm a doubler, mostly woodwinds but also on brass in some local university groups for fun. I've played since I was eight. The local Band Director moved into the house across the street and the next thing I know my mom has me sitting in his living room taking lessons. That was 42 years ago. I've earned a M.S. Ed. in music and an M.M. in saxophone. I studied saxophone with Eugene Rousseau and Tom Walsh at I.U. Bloomington. I'm a public school Band Director when I go to my day gig, grades 5-12. I teach sax, clarinet and bassoon at Bethel College and sax at Notre Dame Univ. I've played everything from Italian songs at a pizzaria for a birthday party, (last night) to a wake for a young boy, not fun. I've done pit orchestra for musicals, jazz, blues, jump swing, big band, orchestra, classical solo recitals and church ( my wife is our music dir ). I've played in pristine auditoriums for people who spend more in an evening than I make in a year and I've played in basement bars that are so smoke filled you can't see the other side of the room for people who haven't made as much money in their lifetime as I make in a year. I've made my living as a musician from the time I graduated college till now. It amazes me still that I can get paid to have fun, which it still is. I am a self proclaimed "gig whore", if someone is payin' I'm playin'. I almost always play with a hat on unless it is inappropriate, ie orchestra gig with white tie and tails or church.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
318088380_86a109b526.jpg

30 years playing sax, 29 on clarinet, about 3 on flute. Specialty jazz, bop and before. Used to gig quite regularly in NYC but my day seems to have passed there. I'm now in grad school (English) in Iowa and pulling in a few markers to play in local groups.

Until recently I collected saxes and clarinets the way some guys collect guitars. The above alto is a 1932 Buescher New Aristocrat, a cult instrument used mostly by a subset of classical players, and very briefly Charlie Parker (who pawned his).

I also sing Big Band style, mess around with the cornet (I have a whole octave range!), and I have a Harmony archtop in the coat closet waiting for the inevitable day when no one wants to hear music with horns anymore.

I wear hats to play when it's appropriate, which is not often, as my jobs tend to be a. too classy or b. not classy enough.

Hey Fletch,

I'm interested what else you have. I have a 1920's Beuscher Tru-tone alto, an old three digit serial number Evette clarinet and a full system high pitch Buffet clarinet with the low Eb key and all the extra trill keys etc. I'm not really a collector but things have a way of accumulating over the years. I have six children of my own, they have all been in band when they were in school and I never had to buy or rent an instrument for any of them because I just had them laying around the house. My teacher gave me a whole lot of instruments when he retired and left town.

Viper Man

Banned
Electric Bass

I have played electric bass since June 1990 and am mainly self taught, although after playing for about 15 years, I spent about 2 years taking private lessons from a local university. I started out playing hard rock and metal and have been in about 6 local rock bands since. While in college, I began to explore blues and jazz and that's where my true passion lies. I bought my first jazz cd in 1994 and now have in the neighborhood of 700-800 albums and another 100-200 compilations, box sets, etc. (I'm a huge Mosaic records fan!). I probably own 100-200 blues cds and I love all things "roots" music. I am currently playing in a classic rock cover band but I'm always listening and learning from the music I love. I wear hats while I perform and rehearse because it's comfortable for me.

5330_146639648454_101583118454_3619033_4613192_n.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear this Borsalino Como when I perform(I have posted this pic previously time to get a new one)

IMG_0632_edited-1.jpg

Fletch I was not aware that you were in school . Very cool...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I started playing the guitar in 1965. The guitar has been a passion of mine for many years. I studied jazz privately for a few years, but always enjoyed playing rock, country, pop, folk, etc. I just couldn't devote the time required to be proficient at playing jazz. About 17 years ago, I started a new career and a family. I liked to record music at home for fun, or play out with friends occasionally.

About 10 years ago, I started working on chord/melody playing. I started with Chet Atkins, then listened to other players that inspired me to play. I assembled a couple of telecaster style guitars or parts-casters as they're referred to. Presently, I've been in a bit of a lull with playing, but I've found some new players that inspire, so it's about time to go back in the woodshed again and work on some new chops. I put together a pc for digital recording and still try to spend some time with that. That is so much quicker and easier than the old 4 track cassette I used years ago. I jammed with the country musician in-laws recently, that's always a fun time. I didn't wear a fedora though.

IMG_4029-1.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Nice Gibson CB!
I played classical ( and flamenco) guitar for years. Now and since I got my Steinway 3 years ago all I do is play it. Mostly Beethoven and Chopin. Liszt... I wish, too darn hard:(

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aureliano said:
Nice Gibson CB!
I played classical ( and flamenco) guitar for years. Now and since I got my Steinway 3 years ago all I do is play it. Mostly Beethoven and Chopin. Liszt... I wish, too darn hard:(

Too cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not surprised.

I wrote a flamenco/classical influenced piece that took years. It is a love story with differing voices and tempos depending on where the listener is in the story.:)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
Playing my maracas in my Puerto Vallarta Pete sombrero...

394022063_gn25t-S-1.jpg

Thanks, Goose, now get back to your vacation! Good hat choice down there, BTW! Does it have a Fedora Lounge sticker?*

*I'd buy some!

billysmom

One Too Many
I played classical guitar for years and accompanied many folk groups. But now I'm just a church choir grunt. Gotta love that Renaissance polyphonic repertoire!

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24