Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

rrog

A-List Customer
billysmom said:
But now I'm just a church choir grunt. Gotta love that Renaissance polyphonic repertoire!

Sue

I'm thankful for the choir grunts! And I gotta say, there aren't many people in my choir who know what "polyphonic" means. I've used the term a few times over the years and I usually get the "huh?" stare. Of course, I usually use the term facetiously when the tenors are completely out of tune with the altos or something like that, so they at least know that I'm not using it to compliment them!

rrog

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
From school days piano lessons, to clarinet in band, to electric guitar in college, I've messed about with assorted instruments. These days, I mostly make a noise on a small concertina, or my button accordion:
2879786275_92c25bd779.jpg

My mr. has experimented a lot since we've been together, but his biggest musical investment (in both time and money) would be the bagpipes. He played in area bands for a number of years, until the med. student life forced him to take a break from it.

High Pockets

Practically Family
ThesFlishThngs said:
From school days piano lessons, to clarinet in band, to electric guitar in college, I've messed about with assorted instruments. These days, I mostly make a noise on a small concertina, or my button accordion:
2879786275_92c25bd779.jpg

My mr. has experimented a lot since we've been together, but his biggest musical investment (in both time and money) would be the bagpipes. He played in area bands for a number of years, until the med. student life forced him to take a break from it.

:) If he played in bands here recently, I bet I've drummed for him!
Or at least with some of his friends.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It's been 4 or 5 years since he was active in a band (I think, time flies!), but he began playing bass drum with the Highlanders, and ended up helping to form OSPD. That was his last band; we've got a wall of photos documenting the process.

We used to go to the Tulsa games, and the ones here, first in MWC then in Edmond, before they went defunct. Tony always played and competed; I always sold my art and face painted.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I play trumpet. Here is a photo from a show I played that came through town last Fall, "The Rat Pack, Live at the Sands". There were some great Quincy Jones arrangements in the show, and a particularly beautiful dancer from London to boot! I'm at the right, the Lead Tpt Bryan Davis is in the center (travels with the show from London) and my friend Kirk at left, a monster lead trumpet player.
006copy.jpg

Classified00 said:
I can't quite call myself a musician but I did take up guitar about two years ago. It's been very slow going but I am making progress. :eek:
This is about the category of my bass playing but I've not practiced in a spell. 2 new foals this breeding season have taken all my spare time...

Jabos

A-List Customer
rrog said:
:eusa_clap

And would that be a Bach Strad you're holding?

rrog
I'm holding a Schilke B5 (Bach mpc), Bryan an expensive Yamaha, and Kirk a Callichio. But, the Bach strad is certainly the "gold standard" of trumpets in many ways and your question shows you know that! You? rrog, we must be in the same boat-playing for fun but not to try and make a living at it. I wonder if I'd enjoy it if I were putting Fruit Loops on the table with it. Sounds like you are quite accomplished. Its hard to find time to play with another life, isn't it? When I think of the hours wasted in college when I "thought" I was busy. Oh, and to tie this in, I sometimes wear my hats while practicing and my wife makes fun of me for wearing them in the house! I haven't had a hat friendly gig yet, but I'm looking for one! We should get together and play some Amsdens.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Jabos said:
I'm holding a Schilke B5 (Bach mpc), Bryan an expensive Yamaha, and Kirk a Callichio. But, the Bach strad is certainly the "gold standard" of trumpets in many ways and your question shows you know that! You? rrog, we must be in the same boat-playing for fun but not to try and make a living at it. I wonder if I'd enjoy it if I were putting Fruit Loops on the table with it. Sounds like you are quite accomplished. Its hard to find time to play with another life, isn't it? When I think of the hours wasted in college when I "thought" I was busy. Oh, and to tie this in, I sometimes wear my hats while practicing and my wife makes fun of me for wearing them in the house! I haven't had a hat friendly gig yet, but I'm looking for one! We should get together and play some Amsdens.

I used to have an Amsdens. I think one of my students must have "borrowed" it.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Wow, so many musicians in our midst. And even some wind players!

1. Mostly flute, usually keyed wooden (McGee Rudall model, Olwell Pratten model) but also silver Boehm (Brio). Sometimes guitar, fiddle, mandolin, trying to take up flugelhorn...

2. Play flute and whistles in contra dance bands (reels, jigs, waltzes, French Canadian tunes, that sort of thing).

3. Mostly hatless - brims distort and amplify sound near ears...but sometimes do when I can't hear myself in the monitors!

- Bill

rrog

A-List Customer
Jabos said:
We should get together and play some Amsdens.

I'd love to find someone who enjoyed hanging out and doing that. At this stage in my life, it's really a pleasure to sit down and just play for fun. I had a buddy in college who liked to sit around and play Amsdens; we played the Arban's duets a lot too. My wife and I will occasionally play together. But she plays a clarinet, so it's just not the same. Besides, she's not a super-fantastic sight reader (i.e. she has trouble keeping up!) so we don't do it very often. I guess it's just as well because truth be told, I really only have director's chops now. I can't play for hours like I used to. And you must have pretty good chops yourself. I've never yet met anyone who had a Schilke who couldn't play.

rrog

High Pockets

Practically Family
Jabos said:
I play trumpet. Here is a photo from a show I played that came through town last Fall, "The Rat Pack, Live at the Sands". There were some great Quincy Jones arrangements in the show, and a particularly beautiful dancer from London to boot! I'm at the right, the Lead Tpt Bryan Davis is in the center (travels with the show from London) and my friend Kirk at left, a monster lead trumpet player.
006copy.jpg

:) Nice photo.

Last night at Oktoberfest, one of the bands featured a killer horn player! One of the best I've heard in years.
I had to go up to the stage to make sure it wasn't you!

jwalls

Vendor
Clarinet, alto sax, and baritone sax. I just acquired a set of bagpipes, but practice seems to up set the locals.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I dabble on a variety of stringed instruments. My wife and I play occasionally with a local string band (square/contra dances, Irish stuff). I started with the tenor banjo, and have since added mandola (of course), mandolin, ukulele, and clawhammer 5-string banjo to the repertoire. Oh, and washboard, of course!:p

Keep in mind that I am self taught on all of these instruments and, consequently, not particularly good. They do, however, afford me much enjoyment and the opportunity to wear my favorite hats.

In fact, we have a gig this Saturday in Rochester. What to wear...lol

The Mick

New in Town
I'm a guitarist have played professorially for 25 years. I am now retired at 40 due to health issues. I usually wore my Leather western. I have only just began waring Fedoras.

The guitar pictured is a Modified '78 Les Paul Pro Deluxe. It's my #1 go to guitar.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Mick said:
I'm a guitarist have played professorially for 25 years. I am now retired at 40 due to health issues. I usually wore my Leather western. I have only just began waring Fedoras.

The guitar pictured is a Modified '78 Les Paul Pro Deluxe. It's my #1 go to guitar.

Welcome Mick you are amongst friends here. I think you find this place to be friendly, informative and hilarious..;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
1. I play mostly acoustic steels stringed guitars (fingerstyle as well as flatpicking), but I also played bass, mandolin, bouzouki, banjo and Irish whistle and even dabbled with the fiddle and the viol, but these days I tend to stick with the guitar. I write for a number of other instruments, like accordion, marimba and various brass instruments.

2. Folk, old time, chanson, musette, jazz, blues, vaudeville/music hall

3. I tend to keep my hat on when playing live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24