Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mustang Paste

Dav

One Too Many
Just wondered if anyone has ever tried this on their Horsehide jacket?
http://www.ironheart.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=208
I can't say I've ever heard of it myself. It is quite expensive and my jacket doesn't need it but being as it's from the same animal it does sound like the very best thing to use when the time comes. I know a lot of folks round here use Pecards or Obanufs just thought this might be even better.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Any natural oil or fat applied to leather will eventually become rancid i. e. it oxidizes. Some oils hold up better (mink oil) some not (linseed oil). This does also apply to most mineral oil based products. Given time they will severly affect the molecular fibre structure of the skin. This process also offers an ideal nutritient medium for spores and germs which in return leads to further weakening of the leather.
Use only synthetic conditioners on your leathers. FQHH doesn't need to be conditioned for the first couple of years.
Vegetable tanned leather requires a certain degree of attention. Especially if it gets wet from time to time.

"Elephant leather preserver" is the best stuff there is. Period. It's fully synthetic and no direct mineral or natural oils are included in its formula. It's odourless, it doesn't alter the appearance of spray finished hides and it doesn't leave a sticky film on the surface.
It's not cheap but much better than Pecard's (which also is a good product).

I've used it on many jackets and quality shoes.

Here's is an excerpt from an international site:

Preserving Leather

Elephant Leather Preserver is practically odourless and easy to apply. A technologically advanced product that is ideal for protecting and waterproofing bags, shoes, motorcycle-leathers, harnesses and for restoring antique or brittle leather.

Applying Colourlock Elephant Leather Preserver:

Elephant Leather Preserver is applied to natural leather with a soft, clean cloth. Using a circular motion, work the elephant Leather Preserver into the article. To enhance the penetration of the 'Elephant' into the leather article, it is recommended that the item be slightly warmed before and after applications. (Items may be placed into a warm place away from direct heat for this purpose)

Features:

Waterproofs and protects semi-aniline leather (expensive bags, garments, shoes, boat shoes).
Very effective in preventing salt damage to leather. (Used by Peter Blake and Team New Zealand).
Revives faded colours.
Preserves leather and threads. (Used by museums in conservation and preservation).
Inhibits mildew growth.

RiteStuffBryan

One of the Regulars
I’ve used Mustang Paste for years now on boots to no ill effect. It’s fairly light, doesn’t soak, darken, or cause leathers to go limp and matte IME. I recently put a bit on my SC horsehide jacket and it made some of her squeak go down but otherwise no discernible effect.

It does leave a bit of white residue in the seams at times if you use too much but nothing that a horsehair brush or toothbrush can’t fix.

Last edited:

Tca46

Familiar Face
I just bought the mustang paste a few days ago and tried it on a 10years old McCoy j100 that was pretty dried out and squeaking a whole lot, it makes the jacket more shiny and does a good job soaking up the oil and reducing the squeaks.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I recently got some Mustang Paste in May this year, been using it and it goes very well on oil tanned boot leathers. Gives it nice depth of colour and restores a little lustre. Will use it for my Onderhouds soon, they don't look very dry yet but they are Tochigi Oil Vachetta leather so I think they will take nicely to Mustang Paste.

Pre-conditioning (take note more on the quarter, seems more dull and flat)
20230604_174930.jpg

20231016_123139.jpg

After conditioning with Mustang Paste very light layer as well as polishing, looks much better I feel. Sheen has returned on the surface. Also kinda removed that black stain I got from kicking my luggage by accident.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner