Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My attitude is NOT free!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
That's the message I get.

These days it seems that more and more people expect to be tipped for performing routine jobs in a mediocre or substandard manner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the 40's and 50's, people in the service industry were tipped, and that was pretty much it. Now it seems that everyone expects a tip, even if they don't perform their job well. I always tip a server twenty percent, unless the service was lousy; I know their income is tip dependent. I tip my hair dresser 50 percent, because she does a great job, makes me not hate my hair, and is a single mother that I respect. But everyone else other than vallets, etc, I don't know. Why should I be obligated to tip? Here's a page on the topic:

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

What are you views and advice on tipping? do you think it has changed over the years?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
If the service is really lousy, I don't tip. They are there to do a job and to do it well. It does have to get pretty bad before I won't tip anything. But, I will definetely not give them as much as I would have if thier service stinks.
There are places around here that automatically add the tip into the bill...the people that work in these restraunts (at least I have experienced so far) really know how to please the customer.
I'm glad to hear you tip your hairdresser too! there's a lot of people out there who don't. My hair is a big deal to me. I like to keep the person who's cutting it happy as long as she keeps me happy and it's a great show of appreciation.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I throw out the idea of percentages... it's just not me. and I don't want to do math everytime i go out to eat... at least not fractions (I don't eat alot of pizza).

I've tipped nothing and I've tipped 50 for a good meal. It all depends on how well the server is. I can't tip on the meal's cost... that to me is just, well I don't understand the concept, the cook didn't serve me and have to deal with me.

If I get a good haircut I tip, if not I don't. If I check my hat... well depends on the hat check girl ... Tipped one in Chicago very well for the fact that she was not just checking my hat and coat, she was a very nice person to boot.

As a fur'ner, i really had trouble getting into the way of tipping.

So, i have to give a barman 1 dollar on a three dollar bottle of beer because he got it from the fridge and popped the cap? The very idea of tipping for such a service is ludicrous. That's not worth a dollar! But, as one of my fellow fur'ners found out, you get chucked out of the bar if you "didn't tip enough".

Hence i drink these days from the bar with an old beer engine - no Nitro here! If the beer isn't poured right it goes back and keeps going back until it's correctly poured. Then they can have a tip. They work for it. (they also learn quite quickly how to properly pour a beer.)

If these people had effective unions they wouldn't need to rely on tips.

bk

Rosie

One Too Many
I agree with Matt on this, I don't like the tipping by percentage thing. I tip according to service. If I go to a restaurant and the service is subpar then I leave a tiny tip, just because I don't like to stiff people. If the service is excellent, great big tip. I'm a lady who LOVES to take taxis and really great cab drivers (helping with my bags, making sure I'm confortable during the ride) get really great tips from me.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
So, i have to give a barman 1 dollar on a three dollar bottle of beer because he got it from the fridge and popped the cap?

If I may butt in as anover fur'ner - PrettySquareGal has already mentioned it: It's an important part of the bottle opener's wage. He's getting paid less than in, say, Britain because he's getting tips.

Very American in two ways:

a) it's the customers' free choice, and the bartender's got to be ambitious and do good work to earn his money, and

b) the customers are fooled by the prices stated on the menu.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Do anti-percentages people tip the same in Denny's as in a higher quality restaurant - all things service-wise being equal?

To me 20% of the pre-tax bill is the standard, higher for better service lower for poor. (And 20% is pretty easy to calculate: move the decimal one space to the left on the total and multiply by two.)

My barber always gets two bucks on a $12 dollar haircut and double that if I had a shave.

Bartenders always get a buck a drink if I'm at the bar, whether they mix it, pour it or pop a cap. For table service I use the 20% model.

Taxi drivers do best by me because I'm usually loaded when I'm doling out their tippage. Here send your kids to college. No wait, here's some more, send your neighbour's kids to college too.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
I throw out the idea of percentages... it's just not me. and I don't want to do math everytime i go out to eat... at least not fractions (I don't eat alot of pizza).

I've tipped nothing and I've tipped 50 for a good meal. It all depends on how well the server is. I can't tip on the meal's cost... that to me is just, well I don't understand the concept, the cook didn't serve me and have to deal with me.

If I get a good haircut I tip, if not I don't. If I check my hat... well depends on the hat check girl ... Tipped one in Chicago very well for the fact that she was not just checking my hat and coat, she was a very nice person to boot.
Oh, really?! ;)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
As a fur'ner, i really had trouble getting into the way of tipping.

So, i have to give a barman 1 dollar on a three dollar bottle of beer because he got it from the fridge and popped the cap? The very idea of tipping for such a service is ludicrous. That's not worth a dollar! But, as one of my fellow fur'ners found out, you get chucked out of the bar if you "didn't tip enough".

Hence i drink these days from the bar with an old beer engine - no Nitro here! If the beer isn't poured right it goes back and keeps going back until it's correctly poured. Then they can have a tip. They work for it. (they also learn quite quickly how to properly pour a beer.)

If these people had effective unions they wouldn't need to rely on tips.

bk

Oooh, you're tough! ;) I tip if I get the service, and don't if I don't. In the UK they want 10% as standard and in Italy and France the standard tip is 15% or was last time I was there. I really rail against being told what to tip, so watch out prospective tip acquisitors - you get what you deserve, and if you throw me out, I'll walk straight back in again, and out, and in again, and out.... I can be a tad persistent, and often bruised! :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here's a tip... do a good job!

Well, I tip waiters and waitresses in restaurants that do a good job. I’m a man of a meager income at the moment so, when I go out, I’m being served by some one who’s making more then I… but, I will tip them what I feel their service is worth… if they’re friendly and funny, they get a tip! If they’re friendly, funny and quick with the food and checking in on me often, they get a tip! If they bend over backwards to make me happy… yep, TIP! Now, I have been to places where I’ve seemed to be the lowest number on the list… in an empty restaurant!!! Yeah, sitting there wanting for A1 for my steak and it’s like no one’s around… X one… then, they bring my food cold… X two. And if they take forever to bring me the bill… X three, they’re out of a tip! Some people I’ve gone to dinner with in the past have insisted on tipping the server even if the service was lousy. I said: You fella’s can pay for bad service… I’m not! They all looked at me as if I was Adolph Hitler! I had to explain that if a tip is important to them, they should work for it like every one else! I’m not tipping any one for laziness… now, if the restaurant is full and they’re short on staff, then I’m flexible and knowing that they’re trying to do the best they can. I will leave a proper tip. I also try and promote good service by being a friendly courteous customer. I always smile and treat the server as if they’re my best friend. You’d be so surprised how they will put you on top of the list! I’ve made a friend at one place I like, her name is Bonny and she’s such a swell server! Comes and talks with us some times and just is a fun person.

Yes, I’ve rambled again… oh well, what else is new, now you know how I tip.

=WR=
8c33652r.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
But even if it's because the cook is slow that night...a good waiter should still make sure you're happy and give updates on how the food is progressing.
I am one who doesn't tip as much at a place like Denny's as I would a nice restraunt. Why? don't know, maybe cause with places like that, everything's on the mediocre side. [huh]
My biggie at restraunts is I want the waiter to keep my beverage filled.

Haversack

One Too Many
One thing I have noted over the years is that the standard acceptable percentage to tip has increased. I can remember when very young, (say 1960), the accepted standard for tipping in restaurants, (not high-end places), was 10%. Towards the end of the 1960s, it had increased to 12%. By 1980 it was 15%. Higher end places were 18-20%. (These are all for California in the US.) reading old tour guides is also illuminating for what used to be considered standard practice.

Haversack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have to make up for..

Dad. He tipped a dollar. Didn't matter if it was for breakfast for two at IHOP or dinner for six at The Ritz.
One dollar.

When I was grown, I'd make some excuse to go back to the table. "Rats. Left my pen..." Then go back and add a five spot or whatever.

I don't get why people in tipped jobs would be surly or unhelpful. One would think such servers would be winnowed out. But somehow they aren't!

I'm surprised you folks do 20% standard. I'm at 15%, higher for better than average service. My children will probably go back for their pen with ME someday.

BK: If they had effective unions your beer would be $18. AND you'd better tip as well!

Wild Root

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
But even if it's because the cook is slow that night...a good waiter should still make sure you're happy and give updates on how the food is progressing.
I am one who doesn't tip as much at a place like Denny's as I would a nice restraunt. Why? don't know, maybe cause with places like that, everything's on the mediocre side. [huh]
My biggie at restraunts is I want the waiter to keep my beverage filled.

Yes, I totally agree! If the waiter or waitress comes by and gives a play by play, I'm always happy to hear it, and when they stop by to top off the Coke, even better! ;)

=WR=

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I tip:

Waitresses/Waiters
The Pizza Delivery Guy
My Hairdresser

And that's it. I carry my own bags when I stay at a hotel, and I can't see the point in tipping someone who just stands there in the lobby like a stone image. I also park my own car, fetch my own ice cubes, make my own bed, etc. etc. etc., so I'm not too keen to pay for "services" that I've taken care of myself. And in all the times I've been in airports, bus stations, railroad stations, and the like, not once has anyone come up to me and offered to help with my bags. If they did, I'd tip -- but evidently our "service economy" tends to skimp a bit with the actual, you know, *services.*

When I do tip, it's 20 per cent across the board -- I'm terrible at math, don't have a calculator, and it's too much trouble to figure 15 or 18 percent. When I get my typical $5 meal at the lunchroom, the waitress gets a buck. Nice and simple. I've never stiffed a waitress, nor would I -- she'd have to dump soup over my head, throw my entree on the floor, and jump up on top of the table and blue the air with hair-raising obscenities before I'd consider not tipping her. But then, they'd probably nail me for a cover charge for the "floor show," and I'd end up paying even more.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The general rule...

I tip about 16-17%......based on the idea that tax in my part of CA is 8.something or other %......I can thus double the tax on the line item of the bill....

I can't do multiplication in my head, but I can add...so that works out easiest as a 'general idea' for me...I then add extra if it warrants....but at least that way I know I did tip that vague 15% suggested ideal....

Denise..the math impaired

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24