Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My attitude is NOT free!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When you assume...

I once bought a drink, handed the bartender a $5 (about $1.50 more than what the drink cost, I think) and didn't get any change back. I said, "Bartender, could I get my change?" He said he didn't like to be called bartender, and he assumed that he could keep the change.

Even though I have a gift certificate for this place, I haven't been back. I guess you could say that you couldn't pay me to go back there.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
You guys are cracking me up!!! I'm dieing over here!!! What started out as tipping servers in restaurants has now moved to the art of tipping Holsteins! Then, tipping C.O.W... hahahahahaha!

I'm just dieing over here, it's funny!!! I like this thread!

=WR=

I like this whole Lounge!

Don't wanna get too mushy here, but MK and the bartenders make this a wonderful place. I felt "at home" here from day one. I've been here what, two months? Look at my post count!

I've never met any Loungers in person (to be remedied tout de suite) but I've really gotten to know a lot of you here.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I'm one of the overtippers as well. I hope to someday do what Abe Reles did: buy a nickel newspaper with a fifty. When you overtip, you're not throwing money away, you're contributing to your legend.

That said, I start at 20% and depending on how much bread I've got on me and how good the service was, I work up from there. Hey, I'm probably making way less than my waiters at this point anyway.

Tips really can make a person's day. I've been tipped twice, once as a Pet Store Clerk, and once as an EMT, both jobs you don't get tipped for.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
decodoll said:
I'm beginning to think this is the San Francisco/San Franciscan bashing forum. Every other thread someone has something insulting to say. Does anyone have anything nice to say about The City by the Bay?? Sheesh! :rolleyes:
O.K., here goes (in no particular order and incomplete to boot);
Still has some decent people (natives and newbies)
Beautiful buildings and man-made marvels (Golden Gate Park built on former sand dunes)
A few movie palaces still standing and showing movies (visit the Castro and hear the pipe organ before the film!)
Lots of restaurants (The Tibetan ones gone though...Exit Lamont Cranston...)
There's more of course but I'll not risk taking this farther into :eek:fftopic: ;)

Tony in Tarzana

I was born near there, at Stanford Medical Center, actually. I haven't been there since 1975. I remember it being a lovely place and I'd love to visit again. Have to scrape the AuH2O sticker off my bumper first, though. ;)

Doh!

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I said, "Bartender, could I get my change?" He said he didn't like to be called bartender, and he assumed that he could keep the change.

With that attitude, there are a few other words starting with "B" you could've called him, the most polite of which is "Butthead"...

I usually tip 20% for "expected" service, or more or less depending on how things go. Now that I carry a cell phone with a calculator, I figured out a pretty simple math equation to calculate a tip AND tax: take the pre-tax meal amount and divide it by .77 ($X.XX / .77). This only works if your state tax is 8.25% like it is in California.

I know, it's pretty nerdy -- but it sure saves time.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Paisley said:
I once bought a drink, handed the bartender a $5 (about $1.50 more than what the drink cost, I think) and didn't get any change back. I said, "Bartender, could I get my change?" He said he didn't like to be called bartender, and he assumed that he could keep the change.

Even though I have a gift certificate for this place, I haven't been back. I guess you could say that you couldn't pay me to go back there.

That bartender has no idea how to tend bar! Unless it was his first day, there's no excuse for not immediately giving someone their change, whether it's $1.50 or $.25. You give the customer their money back as a sign of respect, even if it's exactly $1, unless they say keep the change. It's sort of a "I respect your money, please leave me some of it" thing. lol Now, if you had stiffed him before (which I am sure you hadn't!) then that's different.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
What a tangled weave we web. The way this thread has evolved.

RE: Cow Tipping.

I hung out with some cow tippers in high school. I never thought it was a particulalry nice thing to do. When it works, which isn't every time, the poor animal is terrified. Seems pointlessly nasty to me. On the plus side though, we were all tanked when we went and one night person A* managed to trip over a clod of earth and drape himself over the electric fence where he then began to shimmy and tremble and go, "guh-guh-guh-guh-guh." That became known as his Electric Boogaloo, after a film that was then - inexplicably - popular. :eusa_clap

* name withheld to protect the cow

Lincsong said:
In regards to the 83 year old man complaining about a buck tip, you should have told him to mind his own darn business . I'd like to see him get out there and wait tables. My friends Dad grew up in the Depression, fought in Korea and his father was an immigrant who couldn't stand FDR. He always told me and my friend two things when we were growing up; 1. spend one day's wages on a pair of shoes. 2. always tip good because the waitstaff works hard and doesn't get paid well. So there was no excuse for that old man to complain, he probably has money buried in coffee cans in the back yard, aiming to be the richest man in the graveyard when he dies. He must be a native to San Francisco Bay Area, as one myself, I can say the people out here are the worst tippers, but they love paying taxes to government.:rage: Excluding me of course.

lol He is a native. lol So am I though. I was the guy leaving the tip. [huh]
I don't think he is starving either. Maybe I should go digging in his backyard when he goes away on vacation. :D Next time you go on vaction, let me know where to dig for the coffee cans. :p
I do have to agree that this area has the worst tippers ever. To get 50 cents out of them you have to wring them like a sponge. I wonder how all the bums in Freako get so much out of the people---probably tourists. lol

Regards,

J

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I tip according to service. If it is fair/average, I'll tip 20%. If it is good, I tip even more. I've been known to leave a $10 tip for a $5 meal if the service is exceptional (and it is near the holidays.) lol However, if the service is lousy - I'll leave a measly tip, and I've been known to do that. Sorry, but if a server is rude to me and I sit there waiting for my drink for 15 minutes while the restaurant is practically empty - and it takes another 30 to get my check, then yeah, I'm tipping $1. I realize that it is a difficult job - but come on, it is still your JOB! It isn't my fault that your boss made you work 3 hours over, or the other waitstaff are slacking, or anything else - so please don't take it out on me. Because if you do, you can expect the tip to reflect that. And, if I don't receive my full change back, I always, always, ALWAYS ask for it. A tip should be earned.

I tip my hairdresser, and I'll occasionally tip at a bar if I'm ordering a mixed drink or if the bartender goes out of their way for me. If they have to turn around, take an overpriced beer out of the case and pop it open, then no, I usually don't tip for that.

I don't tip at places like Starbucks or Subway, and honestly, I find it kind of offensive that they even have tip jars out. What's next - tipping my cashier at the grocery store?

Wild Root

Gone Home
fortworthgal said:
I don't tip at places like Starbucks or Subway, and honestly, I find it kind of offensive that they even have tip jars out. What's next - tipping my cashier at the grocery store?

Tip Jars… hahahaha well, my first job was at a Subway sandwich place… some people were so happy with how I treated them and made their sandwiches they insisted on tipping me something… they also mentioned to us that we should have a tip cup or jar… so, we made one. My boss didn’t want that! He said that he doesn’t want people to feel they have to tip us for doing our job… well, I worked the night shift mostly and he wasn’t ever there for the most part so, we put up a little tip cup… we’d get some tips now and again… nothing major but, it helped us balance the till if we were short a few cents.

If I get really good service any where by any one when they don’t have to, I try and tip them. In fact, last night Neecerie, Matt and I went to The Pantry, we had a great server, he was good at keeping us happy… we gave him a nice tip… and as we walked out he bid us a good night and I stopped and shook his hand and said told him thank you for the good service! Tipped my hat to all the other employees and walked out. I really enjoy that place… they have a good staff and the food is always hot when they bring it to you. Not to mention the steaks are good and thick… the prices aren’t too bad either.

=WR=

magneto

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I do have to agree that this area has the worst tippers ever. To get 50 cents out of them you have to wring them like a sponge. I wonder how all the bums in Freako get so much out of the people---probably tourists. lol

Oh no, you see from SFBAF perspective, it's bad to tip the working stiff because he's an evil participant in the captialist system and by not tipping, the SFBAF is forcing the even-more-evil capitalist-pig biz owner to pay a "working wage". It's OK to give the street bum/wino $5 because his mere presence is oppositional to "the system" and he's a noble independent urban pioneer who has a heaven-given right to support his drug habit!
Etc.
(SFBAF==SF Bay Area freako-resident)
I give tips for good service because I have also worked service jobs where I took the concept of doing a good job seriously and reward people who do the same, and I know that an extra buck or two can make the difference between buying groceries and not.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Tips...

My nephew worked Pizza Delivery and sent me a link...

http://tipthepizzaguy.com/

He went on to defend the tip especially after his store started charging a mandatory "delivery fee" and most people thought that the "tip" went to the employee but instead it was another charge to fatten the Pizza Chain's profits. (Anyone want to play DOMINO's ????)

I usually do 20% for Pizza...I didn't realize how dangerous the job can be at times.

magneto said:
Oh no, you see from SFBAF perspective, it's bad to tip the working stiff because he's an evil participant in the captialist system and by not tipping, the SFBAF is forcing the even-more-evil capitalist-pig biz owner to pay a "working wage". It's OK to give the street bum/wino $5 because his mere presence is oppositional to "the system" and he's a noble independent urban pioneer who has a heaven-given right to support his drug habit!
Etc.
(SFBAF==SF Bay Area freako-resident)

Hahahahhahah! Now I get it. "Bring it all down man." :rolleyes: :p

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
That 83 year old skin-flint sounds like the typical cry baby SF Bay Native. He probably talks longily of Harry Bridges and the 1934 General Strike.:eusa_doh: I have never seen more inconsiderate people than in San Francisco. Whose business is it of anyone how much you tip? But over here; they'll gladly pay 1% more in sales tax, property tax assessments for BART or $5 to cross a bridge, but tip some waitress $1 for a $5 drink and all hell breaks out. By the way, within the city limits of the City and County of San Francisco the minimum wage is $9.25 per hour. FLAT! The restaurant owner must pay the minimum wage and any and all tips are extra. It's not like that in the rest of the Bay Area. They follow the state minimum wage of $6.75 per hour. I'm sure that old man wants the minimum wage increased.:eek:

Lincsong said:
That 83 year old skin-flint sounds like the typical cry baby SF Bay Native. He probably talks longily of Harry Bridges and the 1934 General Strike.:eusa_doh: I have never seen more inconsiderate people than in San Francisco. Whose business is it of anyone how much you tip? But over here; they'll gladly pay 1% more in sales tax, property tax assessments for BART or $5 to cross a bridge, but tip some waitress $1 for a $5 drink and all hell breaks out. By the way, within the city limits of the City and County of San Francisco the minimum wage is $9.25 per hour. FLAT! The restaurant owner must pay the minimum wage and any and all tips are extra. It's not like that in the rest of the Bay Area. They follow the state minimum wage of $6.75 per hour. I'm sure that old man wants the minimum wage increased.:eek:

Holy Crimony! $9.25 an hour is the base pay!? I am not tipping anyone if I ever decide to make the trek across the bay. They got their tip already. :eek: :eusa_doh: My tip is not to spend it all in one place. Geez, no wonder everything costs so much more over there. :eek:

Regards,

J

decodoll

Practically Family
Not that it's that big a difference, but the minimum wage is not $9.25, it's $8.82. I was not aware that waitpersons were not exempt from the minimum wage in SF. Good to know.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
In the bars of New York if you don't tip you will find yourself waiting a looooooong time for your drink, often indefinitely. Whether or not you think uncapping a beer is worth a buck's tip makes absolutely no difference, that's just how it works.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
What about the attendant in the mens room of a club? A buck a trip?:eusa_doh: How about the dealers in Vegas? I was reading in the Wall St. Journal a couple years back that the dealers said their tips have sunk with the Titanic in the last 30 years.
(Sorry for my mistake on the minimum wage in SF.;) )

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Amen

decodoll said:
I'm beginning to think this is the San Francisco/San Franciscan bashing forum. Every other thread someone has something insulting to say. Does anyone have anything nice to say about The City by the Bay?? Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Yeah Im gettin that vibe too. Those that dont tip are mainly tourists and people who LIVE in the citay who cant afford to tip cause they have to pay rent. :)

People who work jobs that require tips arnt in the most lucrative jobs, so just give what can, if you want.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24