Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My attitude is NOT free!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Having worked as a waitress for several years, I make sure to tip accordingly. If I get terrible service--the server is rude, delivers my food and disappears, forgets to top off my drink, or ignores his or her customers in favor of a personal chat with another employee, the tip goes down in amount. If I chose to be lazy or rude to a customer, why would I expect a good tip? I don’t blame the server for things that are out of their control, either. Also, if I have a coupon or discount, I will tip the server on the original, non-discounted amount, only because I think that’s fair.

However, the one thing I hate is serving a very demanding customer, meeting and exceeding their needs and requests, and then getting a measly tip after I spent an hour running around for the person.

One of my favorite things is when a patron (usually someone older), leaves your tip *and* a penny on the table--the penny means you did an excellent job :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Remember that your server must share a portion of "his"/"her" tip with the cooks and the busboys. If you're unhappy with the food, it may not be the server's fault. If you're unhappy with the service, it may not be the cooks' and busboys' faults. However, if you leave no tip, all of them are punished.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm a 20% tipper, across the board, for decent service. I do over-tip at my regular spots, partly to be assured of excellent service but mostly because I've become friendly with the staff and I know that the bulk of their income is dependent upon tips.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Remember that your server must share a portion of "his"/"her" tip with the cooks and the busboys. If you're unhappy with the food, it may not be the server's fault. If you're unhappy with the service, it may not be the cooks' and busboys' faults. However, if you leave no tip, all of them are punished.

And when that happens repeatedly, the busboys (you usually don't split tips with the cook--I've never worked in an establishment where that was the case) will punish you. For example, you generally tip a certain percentage, and if they are tipped well (either because you made good money or because you were generous and gave them a little extra,), they tend to clear your tables faster, allowing you to serve more customers. If you are stingy or have a reputation for not receiving good tips, well, guess whose tables get cleared first? Every one but yours!

Also, when service is especially bad (and also when it is very good), I do make it a point to tell the manager. Poor service does drive customers away, and word-of-mouth will keep new customers from patronizing your place of business. The general rule is that for every complaint you hear, four other people went home without saying anything--but you’d better believe that their friends heard an earful!

Wild Root

Gone Home
jitterbugdoll said:
However, the one thing I hate is serving a very demanding customer, meeting and exceeding their needs and requests, and then getting a measly tip after I spent an hour running around for the person.

One of my favorite things is when a patron (usually someone older), leaves your tip *and* a penny on the table--the penny means you did an excellent job :)

I can understand that! I'd be pretty put out if I jumped through hoops to get a lousy tip. I'm pretty savvy about the servers I get, I can tell if they're trying to do a good job. And part of my tip is being a very pleasant customer. It makes them feel good and puts a bounce in their step... I've worked in the food biz before and well, I've never had to wait on tables but, I have had to deal with demanding souls... they're just too much!

Yes, leaving a penny with a tip is a good sign... but, if it's just the penny and no cash... well, that's the biggest slap in the face... worse then not getting any tip.;)

I very, very rarely run into a place that has such disagreeable servers as to warrant a tip less meal... but, it has happened... the cooks are lazy, the server's lazy, and there is no one doing anything but standing around and gabbing with the co-workers or someone they're friends with walks in... sorry, they're getting paid hourly and if they want my gratuity, they'll have to put some effort in.

=WR=

Strider

One of the Regulars
I don't like the fact that tips are just expected these days. I understand their income is tip dependant and all, but hey, a fella's got to make his way in the world, too! Alas, this isn't a big deal for me, because I don't eat out in a sit down restaurant very often. I say someone has to earn their tip, and since their income is partially dependant on it, all the more reason to EARN it! If I recieve lousy service, I'm not going to leave any tip, and why should I? If they were nice to me, I'll leave them one. I'm in Wild Root's shoes right now, too. Sometimes, the server is making more than I am.

Not everyone can afford extra money on top of a meal that already ran them 25-30$! What with gas prices, and all.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
It's a queer thing, indeed, isn't it?

I accept tipping as a practiced custom of a whole lot of people.

I don't often do it. Guess I don't go out much. I do not at all agree with standard percentages, nor do I agree with a small tip being an insult to the server or cab driver, etc. The fact that someone thought enough to give more than what was asked should be most appreciated, regardless of the amount, or its relationship to the original cost of the service or product. Tipping out of obligation I don't feel is a good thing. Giving joyfully...Okay! It's terribly subjective, too, isn't it? That's why the tippee simply must be satisfied with anything over the asking price. The tipper may feel quite happy to give more, but his/her "more" (while possibly believed to be quite generous) is mediocre at best in the tippee's estimation. So whose problem is it?

The argument of those working in jobs where tips are a huge portion of their income...Make no complaints and do the absolute best you can. Trouble is, maybe, no matter how perky and attentive you are, there still might be no tip, or very little. That doesn't mean you should cease good behavior and stop doing your best. Find another job if you feel like you're just spinning your wheels. One thing I do not at all think is right is when the management splits the tips evenly among the wait staff. Should Matt's $50 be given to someone else when it was only this one groovy chick who waited on him (my paraphrasing here), and she really only gets $5? Should the dude who shlepped around all night and took one or two too many smoke breaks be entitled to part of Matt's tip? No way.

Ah, to each his own. If you want to tip, do it. If you don't, then don't. If you work for tips, do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Personally, I suppose my biggest concern with tipping is Amapola's differing views on it.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I overlooked the busboy/girl. How exactly is that tip shared with the server? 50/50? What if you have a server, a drink gal AND the busboy? 33-1/3 all around?

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Over here (in the UK) barmen/women get paid pretty close to minimum wage and don't get tipped and don't expect to be. There is the occasional have one for yourself which may be taken as a drink or sometimes as cash.

In restaurants 10% is usual, sometimes up to 18 is "suggested". I think 10% is plenty I used to work in a restaurant. 20% is over the odds. In fact I think a pound or 2 per diner is perfectly adequate. (about $2-3).

The server should be attentive and accurate, prompt and not overly fussy with the tableware. I'm not bothered with the overly gushy way some people act, friendly is one thing, I really don't want to see your holiday snaps!

Basically let me eat, make youself pretty invisible and I am happy.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't believe in tipping...

I believe in over-tipping.

Waiters and waitresses work for $2 an hour. Get another job?!! Most of the waiters and waitresses I knew when I was waitressing HAD another job. Or two.

If you don't want to tip your server, don't go out to dinner (or go to a cafeteria). If you don't want to pay for having someone else open your drink, drink at home. If the service is awful, feel free to undertip. But tip. Then talk to their manager.

decodoll

Practically Family
I tip:
waiters/waitresses (same as Miss Neecerie, I double the tax usually. Only works here because sales tax is so high.)

Hairdresser. Although not 50%! Geez, I really like her, but that would be like a $40 tip and I'm pretty sure she's already making more than me an hour anyway! I tip about 20%.

Taxi Drivers. $1-$3 depending on whether or not they had to get out and help me with anything. Only once have I not tipped, but he nearly gave me whiplash making an illegal U-turn and running into the center divider! :rolleyes:

Food Delivery People. About $3.

Now, that said, I only do it because it's expected, and I know these people rely on it. I would much prefer tips were done away with altogether. Just raise the price of the product accordingly and give the employee a decent wage. Good service should not be dependent on getting a big tip. It should be like any other job. My profession doesn't get tipped, but we still go out of our way to give our patients the best care possible.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I hadn't heard about the "penny" bit. That's good, but I'm not sure it's known in the UK. I stand by what I said previously, ie tip if it's worth it. There is no reason why bad or nonchalant service should be tipped, minimum wage or not. We all have to make our own way, and we all earn our money by being good at what we do. My company doesn't ask clients for extra just because I spent some time with them on the phone that wasn't in my scope of works, or did a bit more research than was needed. Yes, there are people who demand the earth and want to pay nothing for it, I've seen them at it, but generally a reasonable person knows how badly paid some jobs are and if it's in their means to do so will try and redress that balance via tips, but at least for reasonable service in return. Off the soapbox now! :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In Buenos Aires, Argentina, the waiters are famous for two things: incredible power of memory (they never need to write any orders down!) and an incredible dignity to their bearing. Down there, waiting tables is a PROFESSION held over a lifetime. Buenos Aires waiters have an enormous sense of pride: they let you know by the accomplished way they conduct themselves that they are your EQUALS, and that your tip doesn't make them any more or less of a person.

Very cool, those Buenos Aires waiters.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I normally tip 20% at a sit-down dinner, but I don't tip if I'm getting take-out or if I stand in line, get my food and walk out. To me, that's the same thing as take-out.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I too am glad you shared the penny with the tip idea. There have been waiters I would of really liked to have known that they did an excellent job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24