Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Boardwalk Empire" Borsalino...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I've been working on Scorcese's "Boardwalk Empire" for HBO this month and just thought I'd share the fedora from my wardrobe. The show is about 1920s organized crime, so the clothes are probably what a lot of you folks enjoy.

After rummaging through lots of vintage fedoras for my outfit, wardrobe found a crummy old blue hat which she thought was a Borsalino. She replaced the ribbon and once I got to set I rebashed it Indy style. I just wish they let me keep it! (after the first few shots wardrobe noticed my rebash and wasn't happy at all! They couldn't change it for continuity reasons though...good!)

IndyBoardwalk.jpg

Tommer

Chinaski

One Too Many
Interesting - I think I could see you breaking a few legs or arms with a fedora like that one! Let me guess, in the script you work for the Sanitation Department?

So anything on the liner or sweatband? Is it a Borsalino?

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I'm no hat expert...or even really that knowledgeable about them, but wardrobe was pretty certain it was a Borsalino. Most of the other fedoras were, and although my hat had no sweat anymore and no liner it had nearly an exact ribbon as some of the other Borsalinos. Maybe a lot of hat makers used the same ribbon back then.. I don't know. The ribbon was old and very narrow so they switched it out for the one in the pics.

Yes in the script I am the garbage guy. Actually they called me in to drive a Model T ford and since I was established as part of the "lawmen" group they need to keep me around for all of the lawmen scenes which works out nicely for me.

Here's almost the full wardrobe (sans overcoat and 12 gauge)...

photo.jpg

Tommer

Chinaski

One Too Many
Well I'd say you look the part! Congrats on the paying gig. You'll have to keep the Lounge posted on when Boardwalk Empire airs - with fedoras involved I'm sure there's a few folks around here that might tune in to see the show.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Very cool hat, For something that early I still would have kept it more teens or 20s in style.
In some ways I think Indiana Jones has ruined the uniqueness and personality that can come from playing with the felt to make it your own.

1928%20SR%20Fall-Win%20p401%20Men%20Hats,%20Fedora%201.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Great trailer. I have never seen this show, but have always admired Mr. Buscemi's hat in photos posted here. Lots of great hats that really stand out, but that one would make me fall to my knees and worship. Whetting appetite now.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Agreed.

Am I so predictable? ;) I should have bid on that stingy Dobbs 'burg Joshbru listed a few months ago, but the timing was bad. There's always custom. Who makes the best custom Homburg? I have seen nice examples on Dave Brown's , Texas Hatters', and Optimo's websites, but none from the lounge's usual suspects: VS, Black Sheep, Falcon Park, etc.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I also like the look of Nucky's "Shorter than normal" brimmed Homburg, I normally stick to the 2 1/4/2 1/2 range, however he looks great in the shorter brim.

Though, my favorite hat in the trailer was the Commadore's Black/Navy Homburg.

ryanc

Familiar Face
ya i would love to do the hair for some of the actors for the show. i have a client that is moving back to nyc and maybe getting some kind of role in it. and he already has a friend thats in it. i hope they take his advice on me if he gets it, as in me flying up there and doing some hair for them. from what he says its actually hard to get a legit cut from that era in nyc, wich is suprising considering its nyc. but whover does most of theres now it looks amazing

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I also like the look of Nucky's "Shorter than normal" brimmed Homburg, I normally stick to the 2 1/4/2 1/2 range, however he looks great in the shorter brim.

Though, my favorite hat in the trailer was the Commadore's Black/Navy Homburg.

Apparently Gary White made that one, as well as a number of others for the series.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Apparently Gary White made that one, as well as a number of others for the series.
Where did you come by that info?

This hatter claims to have made hats for EB as well. Though it's not unusual for a film/series to have multiple suppliers of new and vintage lids.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Where did you come by that info?

This hatter claims to have made hats for EB as well. Though it's not unusual for a film/series to have multiple suppliers of new and vintage lids.

I visited with Gary yesterday, and he told me himself. He also has several pictures of the hats and the stars wearing them on the walls of his shop. He mentioned that it had come to his attention that another hatter was taking credit for the work on his website, and that HBO assured him (Gary) that they would settle the issue. He didn't name anyone.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
He didn't name anyone.
Well, it's got to be Dave Brown. The description of his "Boardwalk Empire" model makes the claim. Funny that he would steal credit (if in fact he did) as he is a bonafide movie hatter.

Nuckys hat most worn hat in the drama “Boardwalk Empire” is now available to the public. Created from the finest fur felt available. An exact duplicate of “Nuckys” hat made by me, the only difference is it’s yours in your size. Be the first on your block to own “the real thing”

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This conversation has come up before with regard to a Johnny Depp hat. The words in his description can be interpreted in two ways (at least). "An exact duplicate of Nucky's hat [which was] made by me..." or "An exact duplicate of Nucky's hat [only it is] made by me..." etc., etc. and he had been a bit defensive about it previously, but I think the ambiguity of the wording is deliberate. Cleary the hat pictured on his website has a wider brim, too.

To his credit, what Tomasso said about films using multiple suppliers of both vintage and new hats is correct, and plus the unnamed hatter's hats still look pretty darned nice to me from his website photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy