Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My brand new shiny HH jacket via washer and dryer

No way on god's green earth I would wash and dry an expensive (or even cheap) leather jacket.
As for drying it, I've personally ruined items made of good leather when I was younger living in Pennsylvania when I came in wet/cold and hung on the radiators.
It never recovered, even using treatments.
I've never had any horsehide, so I suppose that might be different, but you'll never catch me doing this. I can live with rain/snow and a hanger, but not this accelerated method with an expensive jacket.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I wouldn't be putting Pecards on a wet jacket, seems like a waste of time.

The leather was virtually dry when I applied the Pecards. I may have panicked a little prematurely. When I woke this morning the majority of the silvery deposit has been rectified by the Pecards and by some elbow grease.

The jacket is certainly now looking a little more worn in with a lot more character to the grain. It is not yet daylight so I can't really judge the colour change.

If I get time and some good light I'll take some pictures later today.

Apehanger13

New in Town
ButteMT61, I wouldn't hang a jacket on a radiator ever. However bouncing around in a dryer with little or no heat with lots of air worked well for me.
Papa M, your last post seems a little more upbeat than your previous lol. I really look forward to hearing how it goes!
Good luck

Papa M

A-List Customer
As promised. Photos of Cordovan Highwayman after machine wash at 40 degree and 1200 rpm spin.
Pecards applied when virtually dry.

You can just notice some slight silvering (deposits) and on the rear right yoke some slight stripping of colour - nothing too horrendous.
Otherwise the cordovan colour has remained almost the same.

l1000489.jpg

l1000490.jpg

l1000491.jpg

l1000492.jpg

l1000493.jpg

l1000496.jpg

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Williams' Saddle Dressing

Peacoat and others - as a former leather worker, you guys are right on the money about RM Williams Saddle Dressing. I won't use anything else on my leather. It is available in the U.S., try Big Bend Saddlery. It's not cheap, but you don't have to use tons of it at once. The nice thing about this product is that it won't usually oversaturate, like many oils and other leather products. The leather soaks up what it needs, you wipe off the excess. It won't rot stitching, and it doesn't put a semi-permanent shellac on your leather, preventing breathability. It's got old-school ingredients, if I remember, like rendered animal fat and beeswax. I've used it on all my leather horse tack and clothing for the last 20 years, and it beats anything I've used, and I've used them all. Also doesn't have an unpleasant smell. Not a commercial, just a product I trust. Frank

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Thanks for posting your photos Papa M.. I do like the way the grain of the leather looks. I've read others mention it before but didn't realize how much rain and water really makes the grain pop. I do hope the fading around the yoke blends in a bit with time.

Papa M

A-List Customer
I do hope the fading around the yoke blends in a bit with time.

I shall start wearing this jacket more frequently and monitor that odd colour fade on the yoke. In a way I quite like it but if it becomes too prominent I guess I could gently apply some dark shoe polish in that area in order to blend it in?

Apehanger13

New in Town
Papa M.. That is one really nice looking jacket (cut and style) And although impossible to tell without a before photo, the wash seems to have worked a treat!!! I like that jacket a LOT, very cool!!! The colour fade on the yoke just ads loads of character in my opinion. Great stuff!!

Frussell, If someone in the good ol US of A is recommending RMW and has been using it for 20 odd yrs you've sold me! Does it waterproof (showerproof) ok? And does it shine right up or leave a matt finish? I dont like shine, ,lol.
Cheers

Papa M

A-List Customer
Papa M.. That is one really nice looking jacket (cut and style) And although impossible to tell without a before photo, the wash seems to have worked a treat!!! I like that jacket a LOT, very cool!!! The colour fade on the yoke just ads loads of character in my opinion. Great stuff!!

I must admit that despite my early panic I agree that the wash treatment has worked well. The jacket now feels a little more worn in.

It is still a bit too red for my liking - the photos taken outside are pretty true to the colour. I'll probably put it in my Sale Pile.

frussell

One Too Many
In regards to the question about Williams' Saddle Dressing being waterproof, I'd say that it definitely helps. It's not meant to be an actual waterproofer, but I've always used it on my riding boots, and have been on several week-long horse camping trips where it rained every day, and I was the only one who didn't have to use galoshes. I'd say it would be a good "shower proof" remedy, or at least would negate the ill effects of a good shower on a nice leather garment. It does not leave a shiny finish, more of a "matte," I suppose. I usually try to rub it in with a clean cloth. As far as better than Pecards, that's subjective. It's just what I trust. I use Williams on my boots, saddle, spur straps, belts, leather gloves, bridles, chinks, and leather jackets. My grandfather used it on his father's saddle (that's him in my avatar), an 1880s rig from Miles City, and the thing still feels as supple as my own "using" saddle. I like it because it's pretty "idiot proof." I've seen lots of well-meaning folks use neatsfoot or Lexol in huge amounts, trying to soften up a pair of stiff chaps, or cure a squeaky saddle, only to end up with rotted stitches, easily torn leather, or a never-drying, greasy mess. If they had used Williams, they could not have oversaturated, as whatever the leather does not need will stay on the surface to be wiped off. Sounds like a commercial, but that's been my experience. Frank

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I know the Japanese wash a lot of garments, leather and wool, from American manufacturers to get a trimmer fit. It's no crime. I mean, its YOUR jacket and it looks great!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran