Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My eBay account got hacked

Trickeration

Practically Family
Has this happened to anyone else lately? I've re-claimed it, but it was a pain. When I couldn't log in, at first I thought it was a glitch on their end. But when I tried the "forgot password" link, I got a secret question I would never have picked. I checked our email account that we used for eBay (I hadn't checked it over the weekend) and found that there were messages confirming a change of email address, secret question, and password. Fortunately, eBay puts a backdoor in those messages so you can re-set things if you weren't the one making the changes.

I'm happy to say they didn't win any auctions or intecept my husbands new guitar in the few days they had my account. In fact, they just seemed to go in and mess with the address and name. They didn't even put in a usuable address, just a corny made up one like you'd find on the fake credit card you get in the mail with an offer. Some future scammer testing his wings I guess.

Anyway, I just thought I'd see if anyone else had had the pleasure of this little annoyance. And I also want to remind you to actually log in when you browse eBay. Some hacked accounts have their emails switched and you may not know right away that you've been hacked.

Hope you're all well. Trix-the Hacked :eusa_doh:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ugh Trix that just stinks! I'm glad you got it all handled though.
I have yet to be hacked, but about 2 times a month I receive an email from someone claiming that they are part of Ebay security or something like that. They ask me all sorts of questions like what my password is, my social security number, all sorts of questions ebay personnel would never ask. I report/forward all of these to ebay and get the standard "we'll look into it" from them, but unfortunately there is nothing they can do, or at least they don't know how to trace the emails. Although this seems odd to me. I think that they would be able to trace them, they just have so many of them each day that they don't do it. OH well, just remember, ebay will never ask you any type of personal information, especially your social security number.

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the "heads up" on this. It is easy to become complacent when spending so much time online.
It is time to go change my various online passwords.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Trickeration said:
Has this happened to anyone else lately? I've re-claimed it, but it was a pain. When I couldn't log in, at first I thought it was a glitch on their end. But when I tried the "forgot password" link, I got a secret question I would never have picked. I checked our email account that we used for eBay (I hadn't checked it over the weekend) and found that there were messages confirming a change of email address, secret question, and password. Fortunately, eBay puts a backdoor in those messages so you can re-set things if you weren't the one making the changes.

I'm happy to say they didn't win any auctions or intecept my husbands new guitar in the few days they had my account. In fact, they just seemed to go in and mess with the address and name. They didn't even put in a usuable address, just a corny made up one like you'd find on the fake credit card you get in the mail with an offer. Some future scammer testing his wings I guess.

Anyway, I just thought I'd see if anyone else had had the pleasure of this little annoyance. And I also want to remind you to actually log in when you browse eBay. Some hacked accounts have their emails switched and you may not know right away that you've been hacked.

Hope you're all well. Trix-the Hacked :eusa_doh:

You mean log in properly and don't tick the stay open for 1 day box under the password? Please advise. My computer guy says you should also always log out of eBay rather than just close down. But who remembers to do that?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
It happened to me earlier this year. My account had been dormant for awhile and someone hacked it. Apparently eBay caught it before I did and suspended activity on my account before any real damage was done. It was a pain to re-establish access to the account. :mad:

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
My account was hacked two years ago. I took care of it by speaking directly to EBay and getting my name cleared.

I was actually rather surprised at how easy it was to repair the damage.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
My condolences!

I had this happen probably a year and a half ago.

I got one of those emails that say "sign up for your Silver Seller membership", and since it was the first time I got it, I was confused (I knew I hadn't sold enough volume for that), so I logged in through the link the email provided to see if there was some mistake, and yes there was...my mistake in "logging in"!

Right away I started getting all kinds of questions from ebay members on stuff I wasn't selling (like a Yamaha motorcycle for one), and tried to log in and see what was going on. Sure enough, someone had changed my password and were selling stuff on my seller acct. I notified Ebay and they shut it down right away.

I guess it was heading for a ripoff on the buyers' part, and negatives for me when they didn't get their stuff.

Trickeration

Practically Family
It's a bummer it's happened some others of you, but I'm glad you also got the problems fixed without serious damage. Ebay seems to be pretty good about this stuff. They send you plenty of notices about changes on your account, and the messages come up as alerts on your "my ebay" message page. My last alert from them was letting me know that activity was becoming suspicious and recommending I check everything. It was definately kind of weird to go to my personal information page and see things were changed.

cookie said:
You mean log in properly and don't tick the stay open for 1 day box under the password? Please advise. My computer guy says you should also always log out of eBay rather than just close down. But who remembers to do that?

I'm sure you could stay logged in for the day, as long as anyone else who has access to your computer throughout the day is trustworthy.

Daisy - I've gotten the "update your info" emails, too. Some claim to be from ebay and some from paypal, and some from bank names similar to our bank. I also forward them on to the proper address then delete them. Who knows what goes on from there, I guess it takes a lot of time and court orders to actually dig into them.

Maj.Nick Danger- Here, here!

Well, off to change more passwords. I was long overdue anyway. Trix

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Now, mine hasn't been hacked, but....

.... something fishy's going on. Everything is fine, I've had no mysterious charges and eBay says there has been no suspicious activity, but occaisionally (three times that I know of now), a seller has had my shipping address pop up as that of one "Reinhart Richter" in Germany. [huh] :eek: Thankfully the sellers have caught it and contacted me about it, and things have gotten straightened out. It doesn't happen with my registered PayPal addresses, only on the eBay one. Anyone ever had something similar happen to them before? eBay claims there's nothing wrong... [huh]

Pilgrim

One Too Many
A good rule to remember - don't EVER use a link in an email messgae to login to any site where you have an account.

Go to that site on your own, login as normal and then see if you have any messages within the site or get any pop-up notices. If anything requires your attention, you will find out about it through the normal login.

If there are no notices or pop-ups when you enter via this route, then the message was an attempt to hijack your account.

Some of them are sneaky - like the "Silver Seller" messge, or "You've won a prize", or questions about shipping for an item.

Just login to the site and work ONLY through that interface.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24