Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Favorite Husband

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
In the Summer of 1948, two couples appeared on the radio, one by the name of Liz Cugat, the other by the name of George Cugat, played by Lucille Ball and Richard Denning. The show ran into 1951, until Miss Ball was asked of doing what would be one of the most watched televisions programs of the century. Mr. Denning did not make it into that show. What are your opinions of the radio program known as "My Favorite Husband"?

For those who haven't heard an episode, here's a few starters to get the idea of the program,
http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/myfavoritehusband.htm

Sunny

One Too Many
Since I practically grew up on "I Love Lucy" reruns, it wasn't hard to get into "My Favorite Husband." A number of the radio plots made it to television, as well. Sometimes I'll begin an episode and realize I know what happens. There have been some surprise endings, though!

I'll be honest here: I really don't enjoy MFH very much. Don't get me wrong; Lucille Ball is amazing and Richard Denning is by no means a shabby prequel to Ricky. He's got plenty of flightiness and volatility himself. It's just the whole storyline that jades me after a while. So many of the stories center around petty squabbles, jumping to conclusions, hair-trigger tempers, touchy egos, and a whole lot of distrust. And the ridiculous physical situations that Lucy ended up in on television (making chocolates, crushing grapes, home permanent, &c.), that Lucille Ball did extremely well, naturally can't be effective on the radio.

I can't help comparing with another sitcom couple, Phil Harris and Alice Faye. There simply isn't the petty aspect to that show. Sure, there's plenty of conflict, but it usually begins with ordinary situations that domino. The conflict isn't so much in the personalities. And somehow, although Phil (and crony Remley) had an appreciative eye for feminine beauty, and he and Remley made plenty of snide remarks about marriage when Alice cracks the whip, there was never any serious issue between them. But in how many episodes did Lucy think Ricky was playing around? The "April Fools Day" episode of MFH was completely centered about the idea. I just don't find that distrust amusing.

Also being honest: I may be overly sensitive because I've seen ILL so many, many times. I have nearly 10 6-8 hour videotapes that have been watched ad nauseum. The bickering and suspicion really gets me down after a while. So perhaps I haven't given MFH as fair a chance as I should have. I'd be happy to hear what others' opinions are. :)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I know what you mean by how their conflicts really were wrong from the start, I'm also more intuned with the setups that "I Love Lucy" brought, not so much the stories, but how they began and how they ended. They were all well known for either Lucy or Ricky to be playing tricks on one another, ultimately ending with them figuring each other out and having a good laugh about it. I guess I enjoy My Favorite Husband because it was an early start for the kinds of episodes that brewed later in "I Love Lucy". I imagine for anyone who started listening to the program, eventually turning to the television, was much more comfortable and skeptical, probably comparing the two as well. Looking at it now may seem a bit different, both "I Love Lucy" and "My Favorite Husband" are available to hear and view. But to hear the first and see the next was probably a unique experience and it all goes back to the husband/wife dilemma's that took place between both shows.

I'd be happy to hear what others' opinions are.

me too. :D

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
In the minority...

I got acclimated to "I Love Lucy" first, like you guys did.

But then, it drove me nuts. She never seemed real, and every episode was a little stressful... she's GOING to upset Ricky, pull something silly, perhaps enlist Ethel in her hijinx. And sure, they always hugged and smiled at the end, but MAN what a stressful relationship those two characters had.

Now, "MFH" seems a little more real and charming, and Lucy's Liz character is less whiny and bumbling. She's like a real dame. Often on XM, they'll play "MFH" adjacent to "Fibber McGee and Molly" who just jab at one another the whole time, making me wonder, "Why are these folks even married? I can't hear this!" "MFH" will come on, and it's a little spot of comfort after all that arguing of "FM&M."

Perhaps I haven't heard enough episodes where they REALLY go at each other.

Rosie

One Too Many
Thanks for this, I'm a big fan of Ms. Ball's. The original links are leading to a 404 error message. I've found this site: http://www.cheezylu.com/cheezylu/mfh.php

denninglucycolor.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Sounds like I need to listen to MFH some more! I think I'd really enjoy a "better" version of "I Love Lucy."

I have a tape of Lucille Ball guesting on the Abbot and Costello show. Lou Costello is trying to con Lucille out of a pair of nylon stockings to give to his girl. It's pretty darned good!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Sunny said:
I have a tape of Lucille Ball guesting on the Abbot and Costello show. Lou Costello is trying to con Lucille out of a pair of nylon stockings to give to his girl. It's pretty darned good!

I love that episode!

I also like when Mel Blanc brings out Bugs Bunny in that episode. Good comedy never dies...

Rosie

One Too Many
I've listened to a few episodes over the last few days and I like it. This is actually the first radio show I've listened to and it may sound weird but listening to a show is way different that watching a show. While watching a show, I can be online, clean the house but, I've found that I really need to sit and listen to this in order to not miss out on something. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Rosie

One Too Many
Question

I've been listening to episodes of My Favorite Husband and you know how the announcer announces the program in the beginning of the show? Sometimes I swear it sounds as though he is saying Mr. and Mrs. Cooper even though I was under the impression their name was Cugat. Which is right?

Sunny

One Too Many
Ooh, I forgot about that. I suppose at some time the name changed, because I'm certain that certain episodes have them as the Coopers. And others are just as definitely the Cugats. I don't know which came first or why they changed, though.

nick1909

:eek:fftopic: Did we mention that when creating the pilot for the television series "I Love Lucy" Desi and Lucy also recorded a pilot for a radio show of the same name?
They figured if the networks didn't pick up one, they might pick up the other!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21