Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first B! Wear cap

guitone

Familiar Face
I sent in two 1/2 yds of material, it seems more than needed as the material was as Brett said, very good, and he has a bit left over for another cap of each..the first is a grey herringbone that my daughter adopted very quickly and the second is a houndstooth that will stay with me. I have one more peice of material I want to get from this mill now that I know it will not be too thin for a hat and have one more hat done, very high quality. I like the drap of the thinner wool, the houndstooth a bit better, but the heavier one looks fabulous on my daughter... Fast service adn a quality item....Not sure how to post a pic on this site, tell me how and i will try.

guitone

Familiar Face
Thanks on both.....It would be nice to have time off from work and feel great, just doesn't work that way, but I have do have time to get in trouble and spend money on line.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
You are in my prayers

guitone said:
http://tinypic.com/2mcxv7

http://tinypic.com/2mcxtk

Disclosure....I am under the weather just having surgery so judge the hats only..I had to take these myself so no credit for good or bad shots..I think the Houndstooth drapes best, both nice hats..

Great caps!1
I hope you will feel better after your sugery. I know just buy another B ! Wear Cap.
Make you feel like a new man. LOL

Roger

guitone

Familiar Face
thanks

Well, today was my best day since my surgery last Thursday...probably no work for the next 3 weeks, but my ex may take me on sunday to the fabric shop so I can get that other piece of wool I really like the best anyway. I have had way to much time on the computer, bidding on a vintage fedora I found, ruled one out ( I thought a 5 inch crown a bit high, especially with a 1 7/8 brim)....My daughter will get some use out of the gray cap....it is a bit thick to drape as well as I would like, still nice and I bet it breaks in great, and it looks wonderful on her...the houndstooth thought, just what I was looking for....these custom caps put the borsalinos to shame...so my ivy borsalino I am happy with, and one more, from now Gatsby.....The caps are very easy for me as I can put them in a pocket so easily, my Fedora's take a bit more thought..thanks for the feedback and well wishes.

The only thing I am wondering about on these hats is if a wider bill would work better?

guitone

Familiar Face
same price even when you supply the fabric..the fabric is inexpensive though, you need a 1/2 yd per hat and that was $7 for each hat and Brett actually has enough left for another hat on each of these (I guess because it was easy to line up the pattern)...and I like the first one best as well....thinking about having him do a second one on that with a wider bill/brim (think these are called bills on these hats)... and I have one more piece of material that I saw that I now know is not too thin, so I am ready to have him make that one for me as soon as I get the wool. He does really nice work, I can't find anything to fault, with fit or look,I am very pleased. SHARPETOYS gave me a great lead.

Thanks

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Master Capper

:) B1 Wear Cap Co.

Brett, Will work with you on material. He gave me a great idea! Look around thrift stores for old jackets, Harris Tweed etc. Then send him a 1/2 yard of the fabric. I've seen some 20's and 1930's jackets with moth bites that I passed on. If I can find some great old jacket and it has at least 1/2 yard of good fabric left i'm buying it.

Just another idea for a super cap!!

guitone

Familiar Face
Just got my 3rd B!Wear and it is the best yet. I had Brett follow the pattern he used on the redo of one other, a slightly slimmer top and a little bigger brim. The material on this one is a bit thinner and the drape is great..I am having him do one in the same material for my daughter. Now this was a complicated plaid, it has many colors and pattern and there is just no way you can see any mismatching, Brett must take a very long time to do these, and for $30 plus shipping, well these are great. I like supplying my own material, the wool is cheap, $7 for 1/2 yd and sometimes you can get 2 hats out of it if you are lucky...When I looked at how he matched up the patterns on this last one I was just blown away..SHARPTOYS, thanks again for the lead, this hatmaker is a keeper for sure......I don't wear caps other than baseball style in the warmer weather, but next winter I will get lot's of use from these caps and my fedoras.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Baseball style caps are a thing of the past for me...

Linen and straw for summer, wool and felt for Fall and Winter. We don't have a spring here...and come to think of it not much of a Fall either. Winter weather starts around Feb. and lasts till the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Where do you live??

We have hot, hotter and still hotter here. I get to wear a Montecristi and linen caps most of the year.

When it just hot, I can wear a beaver Fedora and carry a small towel to wipe my brow. :rolleyes:

Sharpey

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
San Diego is Endless Summer. They shiver when it is below 65 degrees and complain of the heat when it is above 75. Native Southern Californians are what we called in Iowa "Weather Sissies."

Speaking of caps, Roger you posted earlier that you and Jo had purchased some denim caps from B!Wear. I recently bought a cheapie off of Ebay and, while it is decently made for the price I paid, and the color is good, I noticed that it just doesn't have that "lift" that my B!Wear caps do -- you know, they kind of puff up and then drape over. This cap pretty much falls fairly flat on my head and, when I try to bring it up, it stays for a minute or two and then falls again.

How are your demin caps in this respect? Do they fluff up and drape the way the other B!Wear caps do? Or is it in the nature of the material to flatten. They certainly look puffy on Brett's website, I believe you got one kind and Jo another.

Just wondering.....

karol

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I got another B! Wear cap.

guitone said:
http://tinypic.com/2mcxv7

http://tinypic.com/2mcxtk

Disclosure....I am under the weather just having surgery so judge the hats only..I had to take these myself so no credit for good or bad shots..I think the Houndstooth drapes best, both nice hats..

I just got the checked hat from you a few days ago. I had to use my Vintage hat stretcher and take it from a size 22 inch to a 23 1/25.

My new cap your picture. http://tinypic.com/2mcxv7 This is nice fabric!!

These caps are so well made that it worked just fine with no stress on the leather sweat band or the fine wool fabric. This is my first wool cap from B! Wear Cap Co. You and I have the only 2 caps made of this fabric. I just wanted to say thanks for a great deal on a very fine cap. I reblocked it by hand and the fit and drape is now perfect for me. :)

If the B! Cap buyers continue we will have to set up a B! Wear cap

owners/wearers reunion each year. http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/

Mr. G. and I will be the only 2 men with this cap there!! :) ;) :)

guitone

Familiar Face
SHARPETOYS,

It is a great looking cap, glad it worked out for you. I had mine made a tad slimmer and the brim a bit wider...when I get another I may have Brett leave the wire in the brim so I can shape it like in another post..I do like these caps, my lady friend likes me better in my ivy cap and my hats, but I think these caps are really well made and look great..enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner