Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Original A2... Before and after.

mrpeppe

New in Town
Recently purchased my first original A2 jacket. It looked a bit of a state from the pictures but I was assured the leather was still thick and supple. I was a bit unsure but went for it anyway.

I received the jacket and immediately gave it some TLC! Cleaning, leather feed, cream, darning etc...

It has turned out amazingly and fits better than any repro I have tried. I particularly love the small collar, which is a detail I think many of the copies struggle with.

I have posted a couple of before and after shots.

Thought it could be interesting to see other members before and after pics of jackets they have restored.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Stunning. People would give their eye teeth to get a jacket looking that good. What did you do to bring the colour back in the bare parts?

mrpeppe

New in Town
Hi Sloan,
I first use some 4 way care leather conditioner, basically soak the jacket in the stuff, and give a good wipe to remove any dirt. Then let it dry and cover in Drk brown leather cream, and repeat the cream process a couple of times. Give it a buff and voila!
I love doing this, as I often get a good deal on a jacket that looks knackered, and bring it back to life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good work fella, what a fantastic resurrection of a lovely vintage A2. :cool:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Recently purchased my first original A2 jacket. It looked a bit of a state from the pictures but I was assured the leather was still thick and supple. I was a bit unsure but went for it anyway.

I received the jacket and immediately gave it some TLC! Cleaning, leather feed, cream, darning etc...

It has turned out amazingly and fits better than any repro I have tried. I particularly love the small collar, which is a detail I think many of the copies struggle with.

I have posted a couple of before and after shots.

Thought it could be interesting to see other members before and after pics of jackets they have restored.

View attachment 6148 View attachment 6146 View attachment 6147

Lovely restoration mrpeppe. Nicer job than the wartime re-issue A-2s.

My A-2s are from known veterans and their unit, so I do not want to restore them.

But, your work has shown me that if I do come across a jacket that does not have a history and is in rough shape to go for it!

John

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, but i can't help but think it's a bit of a shame to re dye, or at least use brown cream on it.
For me the discoloration is part of the jacket's history, i mean , why buy a 60 years old jacket to make it look brand new?
I would have just used non colored products to feed the leather, but keep it as it was.

Any way, really nice jacket, enjoy it.

Very nice, but i can't help but think it's a bit of a shame to re dye, or at least use brown cream on it.
For me the discoloration is part of the jacket's history, i mean , why buy a 60 years old jacket to make it look brand new?
I would have just used non colored products to feed the leather, but keep it as it was.

When you buy one you can do just that ;)

HeyMoe

Practically Family

I actually like the restoration he did, it makes it look used but not like it is about to fall apart.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's hardly shining like a new penny, but I think by turning the clock back a bit the op-er will get more use out of the jacket. :thumb:

nerkg

Familiar Face

I agree, I feel it looks better in the before pictures.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, I feel it looks better in the before pictures.

You guys are crazy! That jacket looks great now.

I like a jacket to have a bit of distressing but the state it was in in the before pic was just too much, maybe ok for a display piece but not to wear. Now...it looks great!

Stand By

One Too Many
You guys are crazy! That jacket looks great now.

I like a jacket to have a bit of distressing but the state it was in in the before pic was just too much, maybe ok for a display piece but not to wear. Now...it looks great!

I totally agree. Beautifully done (and not over done!). Bravo!

devilish

A-List Customer
Nicely done. I think you've struck a good balance with that restoration, especially if you plan to wear it. I've done much the same thing with a Hercules half belt I found at a vintage store a year or so ago. The worn spots were very dry and a very pink color. Some feeding and a mixture of cordovan/brown cream did the trick. The jacket still looks vintage and original but just a little less 'ratty'. If it had been in the restored state when I bought it, I think I would of had to pay another $200 for it.

mrpeppe

New in Town
Hello, thanks for all the comments. Restoration is always a contentious issue! Difficult to decide to keep something in completely original condition. As I really wanted to wear this one,I felt that the jacket hadn't been looked after and needed the treatment. The leather was pretty dry and soaked up the conditioner like anything. I tried to apply just the right amount of brown to keep the character that had developed and in no way have made the jacket look new. In fact some of the brown has faded after a few wears and now the jacket looks even better. I think if the jacket had provenance and a story behind it I would have been less likely restore as much...

It is a pretty small size. Label says 38, but the back across the shoulders is very small, about 16". It fits pretty tight but I think that's how they look best. Also, a good reason to stay in shape!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart