Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Vintage hat!

D00R

One of the Regulars
I spent the weekend with my exgirlfriend in her home town Sparta New Jersey. It was beautiful there.
we went to Lafayette Village and there was an antique store. Shannon saw a vintage hat and told me to try it on.
it was a Vintage Stetson Royal. I couldn't believe it, she liked it so much on me she bought it for me.

87840796ja4.jpg

The hat has some droplet stains on the brim thats not to noticeable and some major stains on the inside lining. anyone know if its unhealthy to just go and wear it? I want to have it steamed and cleaned.

dscf0230gf0.jpg

58589215jy5.jpg

I like it so much, I got compliments while I was wearing it.
Its amazing how well it fits. It fits me best out of any of the hats I have.

13304333hn7.jpg

We both saw this crazy chair, she thought it suited me. she said it should be my pimp chair, i said it looks like a kings chair. so I picked it up for 60 bucks at the same antique store, I thought it was to interesting to pass up.

dscf0221tw3.png

D00R

One of the Regulars
haha yeah the purple is cool. It just stood out amongst everything there I had to have it.:eek:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey DOOR - good job on the hat (the chair's cool too)!

The Whippet is a fairly sought after hat among us fedora collectors. And the medium brown/tan color seems to me to be uncommon compared to how many brown ones and grey ones I see on EB.

You might try using a stiff(ish) old, clean toothbrush and some Coleman's liquid camp fuel to see if you can get the spots out of the brim.

Also, for discolored satin linings, I have removed them and soaked them in OxyClean to get them good as new.

Your call on whether to address those problems or wear it as is.

G

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Also, for discolored satin linings, I have removed them and soaked them in OxyClean to get them good as new.

To clarify; that is to say remove the liner and soak it - not soak the hat in Oxy to remove the stains in liner. I dunno what might happen then.

D00R

One of the Regulars
haha yeah I always checked out the Stetson Royals but was always nervous about bidding on one and having it not fit. I was so unsure about the size since they were vintage.

mine still has the tag inside, it's cardboard and says 1/8

I would love to have a Royal Stetston in a light gray.
I mentioned that to Shannon how a lot of the people on the Fedora Lounge have and really enjoy there Stetson Royals. I was really shocked that's what the hat was when she pointed it out to me. I'm really thankful and really happy to own it.

I will take your tips on cleaning the hat. first I will get it steamed when I can, then I will work on the rest.
It's really a cool hat, I don't mind the imperfections at all I'm just happy to have one :eek:

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you know Dinerman?

And my trip to an antique mall today turned up nothing. :eusa_doh:

You've found one of the most sought after vintage hats--a hearty congratulations!

Is this the ex-girlfriend the break-up with whom led to your Mom buying you the Borsalino to cheer you up? And you still ended up spending the weekend with her while getting her to buy you a Whippet?

*sigh*

Does your girlfriend have a sister? Or a mother, even?

Seriously ... you may well have entered the land of no return. Careful with those old hats, man. You could find yourself incapable of driving past small-town antique shops and flea markets. You'll get to where you swear you can detect in the breeze the aroma of a vintage Mallory. You'll tell yourself that if you allow yourself to buy that pristine Knox 20 with the Custom Edge and the windstring, you'll stop for awhile.

D00R

One of the Regulars
I tired my best with my girlfriend and she tried the only way she could with me...

I just believed her to be someone she never was.

I will always care about her but I can't protect her life while she continues to only hurt me.

She has done very specially things for me but I don't need stuff I just needed her trust and she couldn't give me that.

this weekend together was a way for us to let go of each other on a good note.

I did my best for five years...

D00R

One of the Regulars
yeah I'm already thinking more and more about vintage hats and antique stores. It's a great way to look back on her when I wear this hat.

D00R

One of the Regulars
I also thought the chair was a cool find becuase I like Alice in Wonderland and it would go cool when I wore my cheshire cat shirt.

thought I'd share that with you guys..

30122948wf7.jpg

dscf0226eg8.png

haha yes it's my throne :)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner