Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Work of Art!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you for all the kind words Gentlemen. The Sportaire is my attempt at casual/formal in the same hat. You wear it well MrFusion.

I like the proportions in crown and brim. Very Squatter-esque

uhh what? I'm glad you like the proportions Jereckson, but if you owned one of mine you would never compare it to an akubra nor confuse it for one.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
Thank you for all the kind words Gentlemen. The Sportaire is my attempt at casual/formal in the same hat. You wear it well MrFusion.

Thanks Art! I was going for a hat that met the above description.
I do computer networking for a living and my clothes for work tend to be on the casual side due to the fact that I could be installing a server or building a rack at any given point during the day. The last thing I wanted to do was get a hat from Art that I could only wear on special occasions - kind of a waste of such a nice hat (at least for my first VS).
Now that I have the VS addiction, I can branch out into some of the other designs. My eyes at this point are way bigger than my wallet but for those of you that are like me and have to scrape the pennies together over a period of time, Art's hats are well worth the wait.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrFusion said:
Say, Feltfan - any pictures of that custom Sportaire?
Your wish is my command.
This was taken on the way back from the post office, so
the hat is straight out of the box and dusty. And yes, it's
in Japan. BTW, that's not me- it was a gift.

This one was made using Art's lightweight felt, and obviously
not the standard colors.

2235185669_7429afab9e_o.jpg

feltfan

MrFusion said:
Wow, I really like the color! I guess your friend was very happy with his gift?
He better be!
He was aprehensive about the crown height
at first, but I am guessing he'll get used to it.
I think it's a good height for him.

The actual color appears a bit darker in some
settings. Probably it looks about like you see
in the sun. Some felt colors can be that way.

pgoat

One Too Many
MrFusion said:
Thanks!
My wife is giving me looks because I have hardly taken it off! (I know - bad manners to have it on in the house but I can't help myself!)
Art is quite a guy. I hope I didn't bother him too much during this process. Guess I'll find out if he ignores my emils when I want to buy another hat from him! ;)

Nah, I felt the same way but if anything he was even more accomodating with my second order. Though the bang for the buck is extremely good, I'm sure Art realizes this is an expensive purchase for many of us (hence obsessing over details) and I see it as a collaborative labor of love in coming up with a great result.

Your hat is beautiful and looks great on you. You can't beat the fit on Art's hats imo. Enjoy!

pgoat

One Too Many
MrFusion said:
It's a bit darker than it looks in the pictures. Goes well with browns like my leather jacket. As you can see from the liner it goes well with red too and I have a few red dress shirts.

what was the actual color called? I think that's the same color I am ordering next.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
He better be!
He was aprehensive about the crown height
at first, but I am guessing he'll get used to it.
I think it's a good height for him.

Funny you should say that. That is the one comment my wife made. She isn't use to me in a hat with that high a crown. Threw me for a minute too but I think it looks good - just took me a few times seeing myself in the mirror.

pgoat - The color is Dark Moss. The picture of the Sportaire on Art's site looks much lighter. The Goodfellow hat on the site is a better color match. Getting the felt samples from Art is a big help in determining the color.

feltfan

MrFusion said:
Funny you should say that. That is the one comment my wife made. She isn't use to me in a hat with that high a crown. Threw me for a minute too but I think it looks good - just took me a few times seeing myself in the mirror.
People aren't used to seeing hats these days.
The proportions of the Sportaire are great for you, MrFusion.

duggap

Banned
The tallness of the crown just shows the difference between the old and the new styles. After buying several of Art's hats, my new Boralinos look too tapered and too small a crown. My last hat from Art, the Jazzman, was the tallest yet. And people notice. I have had no less than three people comment on the hat being taller than the ones I was used to wearing. But, if you are like me, your taste for higher crowns will grow the more you get and wear them.:p

Mustang

One of the Regulars
2235185669_7429afab9e_o.jpg

Man, I really like the looks of that one too! :eusa_clap

duggap said:
The tallness of the crown just shows the difference between the old and the new styles. After buying several of Art's hats, my new Boralinos look too tapered and too small a crown. My last hat from Art, the Jazzman, was the tallest yet. And people notice. I have had no less than three people comment on the hat being taller than the ones I was used to wearing. But, if you are like me, your taste for higher crowns will grow the more you get and wear them.:p

That's very true. I only have one hat right now (Akubra Sydney), but just from looking at the photos on this site, and from reading posts, I am beginning to like the taller, untapered crowns more and more. I'm sure a big part of it is peer pressure, since everyone else seems to like them that way. :eusa_doh: lol

pgoat

One Too Many
duggap said:

I had the same experience

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
People aren't used to seeing hats these days.
The proportions of the Sportaire are great for you, MrFusion.

Thanks! I have a wool felt beater that I wear when it's bad weather that has a shorter crown and already it looks too short now.

Toobacat -
I wll try to get a few more shots of the hat today that show the bash.

Duggap -
The Jazzman is one of the other hats that I am considering. Have you posted any pictures of it? The crown is listed as 6" on the VS site (1/2'" taller than the Sportaire) but it appears to have a deep center dent. (hard to tell for sure from the pictures) I'm thinking that the center dent would make the bashed crown about the same as the Sportaire. All guesswork of course.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Wowie!

Great hats all gentlemen!

My compliments to Mr. Fawcett for turning out such beautiful pieces of Art. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles