Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Frankenjacket has arrived

KilroyCD

One Too Many
This was a bit of an experiment. I decided that I should have a leather jacket to help protect me in case I should wipe out while riding one of my motorized bikes. However, being on a budget, I decided to look at the "Harbor Freight" of clothing, Haband.
I duly ordered this leather jacket, in black: http://www.haband.com/index.cfm/fus...oductID/704d5985-f151-4c5f-8d5f-aee1fa586b4b/
Well, the jacket arrived yesterday, and yes it is leather. Will it help protect me in case of a fall? At the slower speeds these motorized bikes travel at, possibly.
I'm calling it a "Frankenjacket" because it would be generous to call it a multi-panel jacket. It appears as though the hides were made of leather scrap pieces that are sewn together, so it has somewhat of a patchwork look to it. It's not particularly thick leather, but considering the price, it was actually heavier than I thought. The leather is very supple, and has a rich aroma.
We'll see how it works out. My only concern is how or if the multiple panels (if you want to call them that) will stay together if I unexpectedly depart from my normal riding position and unceremoniously deposit myself on the roadway. I just hope that doesn't happen.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't get it to open, but I think I know what you're talking about. They are pretty readily available around here at various discount clothing stores. Most of them have a very 1980s baggy-and-padded look to them, but I suspect that in the right design they could be alright looking. The woman in front of me in my Bar Review class wears one.

As to its protection value, it's probably minimal, but an extra layer is always good regardless: more to burn away before the asphalt meets your skin.

-Dave

KilroyCD

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I couldn't get it to open, but I think I know what you're talking about...

Here's a link to a photo I copied from the seller's website. I haven't taken a photo of mine yet. http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z21/KilroyCD/38425_zoom_3.jpg
I thought the style was reasonably classic, unlike most of the biker jackets I regularly see on the roads in my area. What I assumed to be a wrinkle pattern in the leather turned out to be multiple pieces sewn together. One must get fairly close to see the stitching, as they have done a great job in making sure it doesn't contrast in any way.
All in all it's an inexpensive jacket, but it should do what I need it to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21