Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Aero B3

highhope

New in Town
Hi

Just wanted to share with you my new Aero B3 flying jacket...

Went round the houses trying to settle on who I should go with and what colors I'd prefer for about 3 weeks; in the end, it boiled down to 3 choices, Eastman's .50cal, Aero's seal with russet trim and Alexander's redskin.

Talked to all 3 but eventually, Aero won me over :)

In the process of choosing, I've read an awful lot of sometimes vicious comments about 'authenticity' and precise details with every man and his dog heralding Eastman as the flat out best.

It depends entirely on what you want though. for me, the spice of this hobby is in the variety of subtle differences between each jacket manufacturer. I'm not a WW2 pilot, I'm not in the USAAF so for me, I wanted a jacket which has been honestly created by a modern manufacturer to an extremely high standard but has its OWN subtle differences, in its own right.

I'd like to think that I can recognize an Aero (Scotland) just by looking at it, in the same way an expert can recognize a Rough Wear in the same scenario :)

Anyway, doesn't seem to be a great number of photos on here of other Aero B3's - let's have a look, if you got em, show em off...!!

Tom

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Very nice Tom. I've had a few Aero's over the years but never a sheepskin flyer, if I did though it'd have to be a B3, it looks great.

Also, it's nice that it turned up in the winter so you can actually get some wear out of it!

Stand By

One Too Many
Good for you for not being concerned over who is "the best" - some people like Pepsi and some like Coke. At the end of the day, it's all decent cola - and I think it's the same with the jackets - and as much as it's about the personal fit of the jacket, it's about the preference of fit of the customer experience too and that's a personal choice too.
The jacket looks great on you - and my, it looks a bit brisk on top of those moors (Great photo. Look at that sky! Beautiful) ! Not that you'll be as bothered about that, now!
Thanks for posting!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just picked up an late 80's - early 90's one of these in stunning condition. They are GREAT jackets.

Wear it well man ... looks awesome :)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
looks great! Fit looks spot on as well. Doesn't look as oversized as some sheepskin flight jackets often do.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
Your new Jacket looks great! I've had a B3 San Diego Leather Repo jacket for 16 years or so. I live in the southwest, Arizona, Texas and did some work in So Cal (NAS North Island). I have worn that jacket in various weather and temperatures, From -20 and snow to around +50 and rain. Its an ALL weather coat. The sheepskin breathes and when a nylon or leather jacket might have been too warm, the sheepskin (much like on car seats) allows air to flow and by adjusting the zipper regulates warmth. Someday soon, I'll be getting an "Authentic B3" to replace my repo (handwarmer pockets and no arm trim) but this coat has seen it all and looks better now than when I purchased it.

highhope

New in Town
Thanks for all the positive comments folks - really appreciate it!

Went to Duxford Air Museum today for a nosy around, with the temps as low as 2C, it'd be rude not to wear it!

Spent most of my time (as I always do) nosying around the AAF section - in particular, my all time favourite, the B17.

Coming out, the hangar is surrounded with a high glass fence, frosted with silhouettes showing the number of American aircraft lost during the war.

Stood for 10 minutes staring at the number of B17's lost during daylight raids. It's hard to see. Each containing 9(?) 18-30 year olds. All sweating it in their own A2's and B3's.

Anyway, love the jacket, will fly in it happily ever after :)

Thanks for the comments! Anyone out there got a B3 they wanna show off? Just love these jackets!!

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Just wanted to share with you my new Aero B3 flying jacket...

Went round the houses trying to settle on who I should go with and what colors I'd prefer for about 3 weeks; in the end, it boiled down to 3 choices, Eastman's .50cal, Aero's seal with russet trim and Alexander's redskin.

Talked to all 3 but eventually, Aero won me over :)

In the process of choosing, I've read an awful lot of sometimes vicious comments about 'authenticity' and precise details with every man and his dog heralding Eastman as the flat out best.

It depends entirely on what you want though. for me, the spice of this hobby is in the variety of subtle differences between each jacket manufacturer. I'm not a WW2 pilot, I'm not in the USAAF so for me, I wanted a jacket which has been honestly created by a modern manufacturer to an extremely high standard but has its OWN subtle differences, in its own right.

I'd like to think that I can recognize an Aero (Scotland) just by looking at it, in the same way an expert can recognize a Rough Wear in the same scenario :)

Anyway, doesn't seem to be a great number of photos on here of other Aero B3's - let's have a look, if you got em, show em off...!!

Tom

View attachment 23783

View attachment 23784

Highhope, very nice jacket! The one thing that bars me from approaching an Aero sheepskin, at least in the past, is its stiffness. I feel like a stuffed bear. I had a Aero redskin D1, my girlfriend has an Aero house hybrid, I also tried a US Authentic B3, the Aero D1 is wearable and stylish, but compared to my current GW D-1, it's night and day. The Redskin makes me FEEL like a stuffed toy. So, if the D1 is like that, let alone the B3. However, looking at you, it doesn't seem to be too bulky and stiff, or is it? Does the sleeve bounce back after bending? Gibson Barnes makes a specific claim that their B3 is soft. I think ELC is also. Aero lately changed their sheepskin so maybe it's softened up?

Stand By

One Too Many
You'd need that jacket for the Land Warfare Museum at Duxford too - I was in there one September as I was there for the air show and wore my then A2 from ELC - and jinkies, it was sooooo cold in there! In September! I think all the metal from all those tanks just sucked any heat out of the place. I was frozen - despite the lashings of tea and bacon sandwiches ($$!) I was scarfing around the airfield just trying to keep warm.
Doesn't sound like you had that problem! Nice one.

highhope

New in Town
Highhope, very nice jacket! The one thing that bars me from approaching an Aero sheepskin, at least in the past, is its stiffness. I feel like a stuffed bear. I had a Aero redskin D1, my girlfriend has an Aero house hybrid, I also tried a US Authentic B3, the Aero D1 is wearable and stylish, but compared to my current GW D-1, it's night and day. The Redskin makes me FEEL like a stuffed toy. So, if the D1 is like that, let alone the B3. However, looking at you, it doesn't seem to be too bulky and stiff, or is it? Does the sleeve bounce back after bending? Gibson Barnes makes a specific claim that their B3 is soft. I think ELC is also. Aero lately changed their sheepskin so maybe it's softened up?

Thanks mate - yeah, it certainly was stiff to begin with but it's like anything...the more you wear it, the more it'll stretch, the better it fits!!

It's still a bit tough but the more I use it, the easier it's getting - take a look at the attached photo...the Evans VP1 has one of the smallest cockpits I've flown in (can't even get full travel on the rudder pedals, being approx 6ft!) but I can still safely operate the controls despite the size...!! True, it's a bulky jacket - but I used to fly in an aero barnstormer and as I'm sure you'll imagine, alighting was far from easy...back in the 40's, I'm sure they were every bit as stiff and bulky...my view...the more I wear it, be sick in it, cover it in oil and beat it...the better it'll look and fit...

Hope this doesn't sound pretentious but - to me - good flying jacket is a living logbook, every stain has a story...!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 579

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR