Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Aero Two Tone J106 in FQHH

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
If it helps, I'm around the same height/weight and the 40 was perfect for me.

@Monitor, now I'm stressed out :p I usually wear a 38R Ike Jacket, and see the attached photos of my wearing a 38 highwayman. I was keen set on 38, but now I fear that I might be a secret 40! IMG_1492.jpeg IMG_1493.jpeg IMG_1494.jpeg

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
I got the HWM cheap off of ebay, 200 pounds I think, but the zipper was pretty broken, and I like more pockets etc. Liked it, didn't love it, sold it for what I paid, talking to Aero about a brown J106 now (I wanted them to make a leather Ike jacket for me, but they said no--an Ike jacket is what I usually wear).

The picture helps--I think I wouldn't be bad off with a 40, but I do like a slightly fitted look--and since the 38 HWM worked, I guess we'll see. I sent them these and other photos, along with height and weight. I haven't seen anyone post detail pictures of a brown J106 here, so I'll do that once I get it.

I got the HWM cheap off of ebay, 200 pounds I think, but the zipper was pretty broken, and I like more pockets etc. Liked it, didn't love it, sold it for what I paid, talking to Aero about a brown J106 now (I wanted them to make a leather Ike jacket for me, but they said no--an Ike jacket is what I usually wear).

The picture helps--I think I wouldn't be bad off with a 40, but I do like a slightly fitted look--and since the 38 HWM worked, I guess we'll see. I sent them these and other photos, along with height and weight. I haven't seen anyone post detail pictures of a brown J106 here, so I'll do that once I get it.

J106 is a LOT trimmer than the HWM. In fact, I think I could wear a 36 in HWM while this jacket I could barely zip up over a hoodie. I've had a few HWM jackets, all in different sizes and each was at least 2" wider in the chest than what would be a standard for any given size.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
J106 is a LOT trimmer than the HWM. In fact, I think I could wear a 36 in HWM while this jacket I could barely zip up over a hoodie. I've had a few HWM jackets, all in different sizes and each was at least 2" wider in the chest than what would be a standard for any given size.

There we go, that's the info I needed! Boom, thanks. My intent is for this to be a 4 seasons jacket, so I've asked if they can do a removable lining, if not, something thin and then a 40-42 I guess so I can put a wool sweater underneath!

There we go, that's the info I needed! Boom, thanks. My intent is for this to be a 4 seasons jacket, so I've asked if they can do a removable lining, if not, something thin and then a 40-42 I guess so I can put a wool sweater underneath!

The first J106 I ordered was a size 42 but that one was way too large so I exchanged it for this 40. Had 3" too much gut room and it looked like a bell when I zipped it up. It was... Sorta okay on a ton of layering but the jacket was objectively too large.

If I'm to compare it against different Aero sizes, size 42 was exactly the same as a HWM in a size 40. J106 sz. 40 and Cafe Racer sz. 40 were exactly the same and just the right size for me. I think you should go with a size 40. I mean, best ask Aero or Thurston Bros to make sure but I'd say that the size 40 will be good on you.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
The first J106 I ordered was a size 42 but that one was way too large so I exchanged it for this 40. Had 3" too much gut room and it looked like a bell when I zipped it up. It was... Sorta okay on a ton of layering but the jacket was objectively too large.

Man, even better! Ok, this remind me of bracketing in the army :p Drop arty a little bit too far, then a little bit too close, and eventually, you get onto target :D

Now how about treating the leather? I'm a big fan of Hubert's Shoe Grease, and I used it on my horsehide William Lennon boots, but the brown horsehide goes full chestnut, permanently, if you do. Might try a little on the bottom edge or something just to see how it goes.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
While we're here, as part of a custom build, I'd like to get a top and bottom yolk, both for style, and for function: I'm always with an army backpack, and those places tend to wear down more than the flat back; i reckon that a yolk, while also stylish to my eye (the jacket will be brown), might be able to be replaced if need be? Also, in the two-tone king of the road, I have no idea what the picture shows or what a bi-swing centre panel is. Help a brother out? Cheers :D

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello sir and welcome to FL. I've owned a Size 42 J106 by Aero and a few observations based off prior posts I thought might be helpful
  • Monitor is awesome - he knows his stuff! :)
  • Yoke should not be bothered by a backpack, I have V yokes on most of my jackets, wear computer backpacks in and out of work daily, never had an issue.
  • The Zippered sleeve cuffs are good with a backpack
  • Might consider CXL Steerhide if planning for heavy use, it's just durable, breaks in easily, and has a great feel to it as well
  • With a backpack, I might recommend against the action back panels, (they are at the sides, around the sleeve mounting areas) as it seems there would be more wear points.
  • "Number sizing" in Aero's are not what you want to go off. Get measured at a suit shop, there compare the dimensions with that.
  • Any other questions? For a heavy use jacket, Cotton Drill is a good choice for lining as it's almost in-destructible.
  • For Break-in and "treating" the leather, read this page: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Hello sir and welcome to FL. I've owned a Size 42 J106 by Aero and a few observations based off prior posts I thought might be helpful
  • Monitor is awesome - he knows his stuff! :)
  • Yoke should not be bothered by a backpack, I have V yokes on most of my jackets, wear computer backpacks in and out of work daily, never had an issue.
  • The Zippered sleeve cuffs are good with a backpack
  • Might consider CXL Steerhide if planning for heavy use, it's just durable, breaks in easily, and has a great feel to it as well
  • With a backpack, I might recommend against the action back panels, (they are at the sides, around the sleeve mounting areas) as it seems there would be more wear points.
  • "Number sizing" in Aero's are not what you want to go off. Get measured at a suit shop, there compare the dimensions with that.
  • Any other questions? For a heavy use jacket, Cotton Drill is a good choice for lining as it's almost in-destructible.
  • For Break-in and "treating" the leather, read this page: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

@AeroFan_07 , thanks for the tips!

By backpack, I mean rucksack :D I have this whole "adventurer" style I'm cultivating since leaving the army, and also plan to do real camping and ruck marching with the jacket; my wool Ike jackets last about 4 years before the back gets worn through, but I've recently switched to another backpack, so we'll have to see.

I'm one of those annoying horsehide folk, alas--ever since I started buying DHF William Lennon boots, it's horse hides all the way down ;)

What are action panels? I know little about leather jackets, being an Ike jacket man for many years. Or rather, what recommendation would you make for a J-106 whose intended is a 4 seasons hiking jacket? Here's my plan, you can tell me how crazy this sounds:

1. Size 40 J-106;
2. Natural brown, not the dark regular brown, as I'm going to do a crazy thing and use Hubert's Shoe Grease on the whole jacket, which will darken it significantly, which is why I don't want it super dark to start;
3. Olive cotton drill, as per your recommendation; this should also be cool enough in the summer, and leave room for a wool sweater etc in the winter;
4. Antique brass accessories, partially because I'd like them to blend in with the jacket and stand out *less*;
5. Top and bottom yoke, maybe also have the belt hidden, since I'm afraid a rucksack my rub on it.

I was going to get an inside pocket, but Aero recommends against it. I believe them, but I also don't believe them :D Do you have any inside pockets?

Do you have any other recommendations for a tank build? 4 seasons, rain-or-shine, carrying heavy loads through the bush :D

Cheers,

-F

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
just for practicality, if you wear backpack omit the epaulette, and prefer as little panels as possible on the back as backpack could get snagged with the panel connection, and eventually the stitches is more wear prone to just an undisturbed leather panel.

if you want to make the backpack rest as little as possible to back panel to reduce wear, and less sweaty back, you should consider vertical piping/ seams design on the back so maybe 3 panel back i think it would be more backpack friendly than any horizontal seams + backpack

inside pocket is super useful, perhaps for cross zip then only one on the left that is needed.

I don't have aero, so those are just basic ideas/ opinion

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sorry was offline, been traveling.
The biggest reccommendation I could make, if you are intending this for heavy use like Rucksacking, is the go with a #10 Talon Main Zipper. You will be very dissapointed by the "period correct" #5 Talon zip that is standard. Much to small and fragile...

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
This is also excellent advice--I asked Holly for the heaviest duty zipper, and she said that they don't do heavy duty zippers--but I guess I'll add this to the build instructions! If anything else comes to mind, please let me know!

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Sorry was offline, been traveling.
The biggest reccommendation I could make, if you are intending this for heavy use like Rucksacking, is the go with a #10 Talon Main Zipper. You will be very dissapointed by the "period correct" #5 Talon zip that is standard. Much to small and fragile...

Holly said that this isn't an option--maybe that was old administration, but no such zipper, and no heavy-duty zippers in general, are on offer.

@AeroFan_07, what should I do? Should I get a local cobbler to switch out the zippers after I get the jacket? I'm wary of punching more holes in my custom J-106 than absolutely necessary...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Ok well if that's not an option, I'd just deal with the #5 for now until it's needed. I had an Amish shop put a #10 in my '30's half-belt which is heavy steerhide. It didn't come out too bad but some of the stitching didn't line up perfectly. Did not bother me, I bought it to work in and live in it!
IMG_4753.JPG

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
@AeroFan_07, how do you feel about slightly different coloured stitching on a brown/tan jacket? I'm toying with the idea of getting olive drab stitching to go with my ex-army adventurer look, but fear it might be over the top, as the J-106 is already a busy jacket, especially the ba***rd version I'm having built with a King of the Road back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112