Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new DM Akubra Adventurer

citRon

A-List Customer
I am trying to decide between these two hats right now! How would you compare the fur between the two? Is the Adventurer fur much nicer than the Fed given the difference in price? -I can't tell a difference in crown height either!

K

Kaosharper1

Felt and Price

The felt is the same imperial quality, and don't be confused by the price. Once you factor in shipping from Australia vs. shipping from Washington state the costs are virtually identical. I'm sure that's not a coincidence.

So from a cost and quality stand-point the hats are identical. If you want a slightly lower crown, a narrower ribbon and a slightly wider brim the Adventurer is the one to go for. The big difference is choice of colors. The Fed has many, the Adventurer only comes in mid-brown.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I gave my Adventurer the Indy bash, and if I think it came out pretty good, just cold bashed it for now. How do you guys shape the brim on your Indy style hats. I was watching Temple of Doom last night, and really like the brim shape on that hat. It starts to curve up about the middle of the brim, and has a curl to it all the way around the back. How would I do this, would this require steam, or could you wet it to get ths look?

genphideaux

New in Town
D.W. Suratt said:
I gave my Adventurer the Indy bash, and if I think it came out pretty good, just cold bashed it for now. How do you guys shape the brim on your Indy style hats. I was watching Temple of Doom last night, and really like the brim shape on that hat. It starts to curve up about the middle of the brim, and has a curl to it all the way around the back. How would I do this, would this require steam, or could you wet it to get ths look?

I think without reblocking the brim on a snap brim ring you will never get a turned up back. I have been hand curling the brim for more than a week wet and dry and I have yet to get a med to low curl in the back. If anyone has a way to do this without sending to a hatter please post.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
genphideaux said:
I think without reblocking the brim on a snap brim ring you will never get a turned up back. I have been hand curling the brim for more than a week wet and dry and I have yet to get a med to low curl in the back. If anyone has a way to do this without sending to a hatter please post.

I have accomplished it this way: Remove the liner. Dunk the entire hat in cold water for 30 minutes. Hang on long neck faucett (i.e. kitchen sink) to drip dry (30 minutes to an hour). Shape the crown to your liking, and turn the brim up in front and back. Place the hat, right side up, on a flat surface. Finish shaping the upturns, and let dry for two to three days. Toward the end, be sure to try it on, so the oval will be shaped to your head. When dry, the hat will hold the shape in which it dried. If it was a snap brim, it will still be a snap brim. (If it was not a snap brim, you may have to let it dry with the front brim turned down and hanging over the edge of your flat surface.)

Warning: It takes a certain amount of courage to do this. It also should not be attempted if you have no aptitude for any sort of craft projects. :)

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
genphideaux, you're a lot braver then me, guess I'll just leave mine like it is for now. If I get a chance I may run by a hat shop and see how much they charge. I look foward to seeing how your's turns out though. Good luck with it.

genphideaux

New in Town
D.W. Suratt said:
genphideaux, you're a lot braver then me, guess I'll just leave mine like it is for now. If I get a chance I may run by a hat shop and see how much they charge. I look foward to seeing how your's turns out though. Good luck with it.

Thanks, my brim is a 1/4 of an inch shorter than your's and I have heard this and a dimisional cut make it had to be a snap brim. Time and water will tell.

kiltie

Practically Family
working on it now...

I got my Adventurer about an hour ago. Man, that thing fits really well, in spite of what I've heard about the Akubras running a shade big. I'd been keeping up with this thread, and I too was looking to get a little "flipty-do" action in the back. Reluctant to take the plunge ( pun intended... ) but wanting instant results, I used a spray bottle and soaked the brim from middle to back. I shaped it with my fingers till I had about a quarter inch curl ( that's all she seems to want to take so far ) around the back, then used my hat brush to smooth out the little finger ripples with one smooth motion. When it's dried out here in a bit, I'll put up a pic.

On a seperate note, I got a Squatter in the same order. Neat looking hat, but I'm not sold on this whole Akubra thing. The fit isn't nearly as good as the Adventurer ( Frankly, it's almost as though it came from another manufacuturer, so different it is...) Most everyone on this site speaks highly of their quality and consistency... The funny thing is, I really wanted the Squatter and got the Adventurer as kind of a lark. But man, I really like the way the Adventurer sits. Squatter...Not so much. Like I say, I looks REAL cool, but feels real wrong. We'll see what happens with some tweaking...

K

Kaosharper1

Akubra fit

I think you got lucky with your Adventurer. Mine is a little big, and I had to use the pads, while the Fed (which I bought second hand) fits perfectly. Felt quality is the same on both.

kiltie

Practically Family
pics of Adventurer

Two and a half hours in, and this is what I've got so far. The quarter inch curl ( sounds like the name of a band...) stuck fairly well, but the flash kinda masks it. Anywhos, so far, so good. I'm sure I'll be horsing around with it all night.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a4.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a3.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a2.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a1.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
kiltie said:
Two and a half hours in, and this is what I've got so far. The quarter inch curl ( sounds like the name of a band...) stuck fairly well, but the flash kinda masks it. Anywhos, so far, so good. I'm sure I'll be horsing around with it all night.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a4.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a3.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a2.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/a1.jpg

Nice job Kiltie.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Looking Good

Looks good, I just hope I get the nerve up to wear mine out soon. So far it's been limited to around the house, and outside for short walks. I been wearing the Riverina everywhere. That style of hat doesn't draw to much attention around here, but I can imagine what kinda of looks the Adventurer will get.

ed_bollix

New in Town
Hey All...

Due to this thread AND a $100 AM EX gift card from my employer I joined the ranks of Adventurer owners today. This is my first post and I'm glad to have discovered this lovely spot of cyber space. I have been reading for about 3 weeks and I have to thank all the loungers for all the valuable information. I’ll have to work on my avatar and post pictures of the lid once I receive and bash it.

Ed

I hope mine likes beer.

genphideaux

New in Town
ed_bollix said:
Due to this thread AND a $100 AM EX gift card from my employer I joined the ranks of Adventurer owners today. This is my first post and I'm glad to have discovered this lovely spot of cyber space. I have been reading for about 3 weeks and I have to thank all the loungers for all the valuable information. I’ll have to work on my avatar and post pictures of the lid once I receive and bash it.

Ed

I hope mine likes beer.

Ed,

Welcome, mine seems to migrate to Red Stripe, not complaining, just saying.

ed_bollix

New in Town
IPA

I live near a micro brewery and my hope is for an IPA hat! It shipped today. I have a nice story about Jaxon but that is for another thread.

kiltie

Practically Family
modifications

My hat enjoyed going out for beer ( ...and to be honest, after a couple, started to draw attention to itself. I guess because it's new.) Anyway, the bit of flip that I added to the back of the brim stuck well over night ( it was super muggy over night here in South Central Texas: I thought it would never dry ). So, if you're a bit skittish about dropping the whole apparatus into the drink, just use the ol' spray bottle around the brim, but really get it wet - then you can take it out and get it wet. An aside: the bartendress was getting glasses from behind the bar as I ambled over and when she popped up, she lingered on the hat for a second. Much better than a "nice hat", or any number of remarks she could've made. Just an appreciative once over. I regularly imbibe at this establishment, and it's the first time the needle has kinda come off the record like that. I believe I'm going to enjoy this one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn