Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new DM Akubra Adventurer

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I ordered an Adventurer a couple of days ago and I'm pretty excited about it, too. I have a Federation and it seems the two hats are very similar apart from the brim widths and a slightly shorter crown. I hope my Adventurer likes beer so I'll have someone else to hang out with!

kiltie

Practically Family
Cutting

Has anyone considered trimming the brim of their Adventurer or even actually done it? I've been thinking maybe just 1/8 inch, though I may go as much as a quarter. I'm reluctant to do so just yet, as I think the wider brim is what makes it an "adventure" hat, otherwise it just kinda becomes a fedora. Thoughts? If I do it in the next coupla days, I'll be sure and put the compare and save pics up...By the way, for those who have recently purchased this hat, be careful. While the IPAs were enough initially, the Adventurer hit the Bushmills a coupla days ago, put five dollars in the juke box and played the live version of "Whiskey River" five times in a row followed by the long verions of "Stairway..." and "Light My Fire". You have to kinda rein it in.

K

Kaosharper1

Cutting the Brim.

kiltie said:
Has anyone considered trimming the brim of their Adventurer or even actually done it? I've been thinking maybe just 1/8 inch, though I may go as much as a quarter. I'm reluctant to do so just yet, as I think the wider brim is what makes it an "adventure" hat, otherwise it just kinda becomes a fedora. Thoughts?

I think some here have done it, but its really a matter of taste and the shape of your head. I think its the dimensional cut that makes it an "adventure" hat, but I seem to remember that a real "Raiders Hat" would be would be 2 7/8" on the front and back and 2 3/4" on the sides, which would be about 1/8" off. Oddly the Federation has the right brim and the Adventurer has the right crown for a Raiders hat.

I have a broad face, so I prefer the Adventurer's wider brim and lower crown. I just wish it came in more colors like carbon grey.

J.B.

Practically Family
kiltie said:
...the Adventurer hit the Bushmills a coupla days ago, put five dollars in the juke box and played the live version of "Whiskey River" five times in a row followed by the long verions of "Stairway..." and "Light My Fire". You have to kinda rein it in.

emogrinningroflgg5.gif

Tone

A-List Customer
kiltie said:
Has anyone considered trimming the brim of their Adventurer or even actually done it? I've been thinking maybe just 1/8 inch, though I may go as much as a quarter. I'm reluctant to do so just yet, as I think the wider brim is what makes it an "adventure" hat, otherwise it just kinda becomes a fedora. Thoughts? If I do it in the next coupla days, I'll be sure and put the compare and save pics up...By the way, for those who have recently purchased this hat, be careful. While the IPAs were enough initially, the Adventurer hit the Bushmills a coupla days ago, put five dollars in the juke box and played the live version of "Whiskey River" five times in a row followed by the long verions of "Stairway..." and "Light My Fire". You have to kinda rein it in.

Hi Kiltie,
Knowing the brim comes a bit wider I expected to have to trim mine from the start. It's a relatively easy process; since the dimensional cut is there it's just a matter of tracing about 1/8th off the existing pattern. (The trick is having fine sandpaper available to sand down some of the unevenness when you're done.) Can only suggest trimming less than your eyes tell you it needs and stick with the brim's existing pattern. :D The Raiders hat is sort of hiding underneath that wider brim and it only needs a smidge off.

adventurertrimmedkf7.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Tone said:
Hi Kiltie,
Knowing the brim comes a bit wider I expected to have to trim mine from the start. It's a relatively easy process; since the dimensional cut is there it's just a matter of tracing about 1/8th off the existing pattern. (The trick is having fine sandpaper available to sand down some of the unevenness when you're done.) Can only suggest trimming less than your eyes tell you it needs and stick with the brim's existing pattern. :D The Raiders hat is sort of hiding underneath that wider brim and it only needs a smidge off.

adventurertrimmedkf7.jpg
I like the looks of that fedora. Can you post a photo of it on?

citRon

A-List Customer
Kiltie- Love the new avatar!! I actually remeber that episode. When it aired, I told people Tom Selleck wanted to be Indiana Jones....no one believed me.

kiltie

Practically Family

:eek:fftopic: Without a hint of irony in my tone, Magnum, P.I. is one of the greatest T.V. programs of all time!

Tone: thanks for the pic. It's not so much that I'm going for a super authentic Indy hat ( although once the bug gets you, it's hard to escape it's gravitational pull [ not to mix metaphors ], hence my Raiders-esque crease, etc... Damned gearheads...), I'm just trying to steer it a little more towards, I don't know, every day wear? I think I'm like an addidct trying to convince himself he doesn't have a problem though, cuz in the last coupla weeks, I've been "losing time" only to find myself looking at Peters Bros., Lee Keppler, and the likes and their I.J. hats when I come to. I gotta get some help.

citRon

A-List Customer
The Color-Changing Magic Adventurer! It's Dark Brown...no, it's grey-brown-no wait...it's tree bark mid brown! I swear I haven't seen 2 pictures of that hat that look remotely the same! I like the shape and style, I just wish it was more 'browner'- is that a word?

kiltie

Practically Family
BROWNER?!?

It's pretty brown. I blame you, citRon, for making me look like a bozo in front of the guys who are pressure washing my neighbors' drive right now. I'm walking back and forth, in and out of the house, checking out my hat in the sunlight, then my "green friendly" flourecent lamps, then incandescent in the bathroom, etc... Next comes halogen and then candles. 'Kay: Inside, it's pretty flippin' brown - like a coffee bean. Outside, it's brown with greenish hue, but brown none-the-less. I don't think the casual passer-by would call it anything but brown. The DM add is pretty close ( the band only looking somewhat lighter in person, but in sunlight the whole thing lightens up at tad ). I mean, it's not irradesant or anything like that. It's a brown hat, dang it! Nice, semi-sweet chocolate brown...mmm...chocolate...

K

Kaosharper1

Brown

The first picture I posted of my Adventurer and Federation is pretty close to the color. I think of it as a black-brown, as opposed to a yellow or red brown. You can wear it with black and it looks fine. In fact it would look great with a black band if I could get up the courage to change it!

citRon

A-List Customer
kiltie said:
It's pretty brown. It's a brown hat, dang it! Nice, semi-sweet chocolate brown...mmm...chocolate...

would that be a Baker's chocolate?

Oh, what about filtered sunlight with radiant light from the T.V. while wearing a light colored shirt-having the reflection of the UltraViolet rays from the shirt bouncing off the white ceiling? Huh? Did you check THAT one?

Come on! If your gonna give us a review, dont halfway do it!! Now go ask the workers in the driveway their opinion of the hat. I dare you.

Tone

A-List Customer
kiltie said:
:eek:fftopic: Without a hint of irony in my tone, Magnum, P.I. is one of the greatest T.V. programs of all time!

Tone: thanks for the pic. It's not so much that I'm going for a super authentic Indy hat ( although once the bug gets you, it's hard to escape it's gravitational pull [ not to mix metaphors ], hence my Raiders-esque crease, etc... Damned gearheads...), I'm just trying to steer it a little more towards, I don't know, every day wear? I think I'm like an addidct trying to convince himself he doesn't have a problem though, cuz in the last coupla weeks, I've been "losing time" only to find myself looking at Peters Bros., Lee Keppler, and the likes and their I.J. hats when I come to. I gotta get some help.

No, no. I didn't think you were looking for "all that is Raiders" in the hat. I was mentioning that as a kind of matter of fact. Basically, the brim trim is very subtle; very easy to do; and makes just enough difference in getting the hat in proportion if the brim seems to be throwing off the look for everday wear. ;)

The Color-Changing Magic Adventurer! It's Dark Brown...no, it's grey-brown-no wait...it's tree bark mid brown! I swear I haven't seen 2 pictures of that hat that look remotely the same! I like the shape and style, I just wish it was more 'browner'- is that a word?

Citron, the hat is very dark. Photographed in it's true color you can hardly see any detail. It's a DARK, dark brown hat as Kaosharper1 has said.

WHICH, btw, Kaosharper1, really nice job on your hats!

No green in this one like the Federation, I've noticed, though. At least in comparison the two Feds I've had in the past.
Color reference: If the cardboard looks like cardboard, the black board looks black, and the white looks white, then you are looking at about what the color of the hat is without flash, etc.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2805/adventurercolorwf2.jpg

Back to the brim trim...this is a series of shots between the two.
With full brim:
adventurerpretrimmy7.jpg

Correct top dent:
adventurercorrecttopdenqx9.jpg

And then after the brim trim: (Direct sun here, Citron. You can see how the hat takes on a non-descript brown/gray again.) It's a tough hat to photograph for color. Yes, variant lighting really does affect Akubra's mid-brown this way.
adventurerdirectsunpc7.jpg

Same hat after switching to a darker ribbon and a little bit more off the edges.
adventurerposttrimrq5.jpg

Kiltie, I didn't think you were going for a Raiders, but the Adventurer's default brim is too much for me also. The trim put it in a nicer perspective for me as I don't have the face for it's standard brim. I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

kiltie

Practically Family
Tone...

Is the final pic the 1/8 cut or more? I think I saw these pics at...COW? or maybe another site... I remember the post saying the brim was WAY too wide for Raiders, but figured when you consider attention to detail the way some of those folks do, that could mean any infintessimally small amout. That third pic looks pretty managable, but dude, you've got something on your face...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
kiltie said:
By the way, for those who have recently purchased this hat, be careful. While the IPAs were enough initially, the Adventurer hit the Bushmills a coupla days ago, put five dollars in the juke box and played the live version of "Whiskey River" five times in a row followed by the long verions of "Stairway..." and "Light My Fire". You have to kinda rein it in.
I just tracked my Adventurer and I found its in a bar in Washington state.
I guess I'll have to wait until last call....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters