Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new DM Akubra Adventurer

K

Kaosharper1

Tone said:
WHICH, btw, Kaosharper1, really nice job on your hats!

Thankee, Sai. The Adventurer was my first bash, so I'm glad it came out OK. I've since rebashed the Federation with a diamond because I thought one Indy Akubra was enough and I wanted more of a Bogie look. I kept the tight pinch though.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I think the Adventurer is a great looking hat. I was just browsing COW and they were ripping a guy to shreads for ordering one. I know that the Federation was made with their recomendations but it wasn't pretty!
I'm still waiting for mine, I enjoy viewing the pics here...

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
I think the Adventurer is a great looking hat. I was just browsing COW and they were ripping a guy to shreads for ordering one. I know that the Federation was made with their recomendations but it wasn't pretty!
I'm still waiting for mine, I enjoy viewing the pics here...

Where did you see that on COW? I'm over there now and don't see it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I was looking over "The Fedora" threads and down on the bottom of the page is a thread titled "DM Adventurer" or something like that.

ed_bollix

New in Town
It's here!!!

I received my Adventurer today. Creased, bashed and ready to go. Nothing fancy... Basic Indy look. I am very pleased with this hat. Much higher crown than my others and it took about 30 seconds to get used to it. I would have taken it to the pub this evening but it's snowing to beat the band. I did stand out in it for a few minutes to have a bit of an adventure! I will try to get a decent picture tomorrow.

Tone

A-List Customer
kiltie said:
Is the final pic the 1/8 cut or more? I think I saw these pics at...COW? or maybe another site... I remember the post saying the brim was WAY too wide for Raiders, but figured when you consider attention to detail the way some of those folks do, that could mean any infintessimally small amout. That third pic looks pretty managable, but dude, you've got something on your face...

Aha! You're right. There was something on my face. Here! This should fix it.:D
adventurerposttrimaub0.jpg

Yeah, sorry about the blacked out pics, but I've learned pics of me in the hat somehow get translated into narcism which isn't the case. Usually requests to see the hat on aren't to admire it but only in hopes of spotting some element of the bash that gets distorted when it's on as opposed to looking the same on a table. The end result is often a silent thread after that. So, my apologies if I seem jaded. It's from abuse, game-playing and rumors, really. LOL! (There's only supposed to be "one" hat that can do an accurate Raiders so anything else often draws bitterness, it seems.) [huh]

Getting back to the trimming part, Kilite, I say if you feel like it needs a smidge off the edges don't even think twice about snipping it down a bit. (Just have that sandpaper ready to smoothe things out.) Really, just do it an 1/8th at a time, put it on and check it out.

All I can really add from my own experience with the thing is that there might be that part of you that says, "You know...just a bit more...." and then it's too late. Now it's too short to go back.:eek: I know this cause if I'd left my Adventurer alone (after that fifth beer) it would have been almost perfect! But...yes, I ultimately went too far on it and now it looks more like crown than it does "hat". :eusa_doh: So, make those fine adjustments with sandpaper instead of scissors when you see the uneven spots. And just when you think it needs a bit more - You're done. ;)

It's really quite nice to see all the great pics and to hear others enjoying the hat just as much. The Adventurer's lower crown really does work a bit better than the Feds for this bash, in my opinion. But the brim does need some trimming - just not a ton.

Here's a last shot of the hat before I 'ruined it'. lol This was probably the third or fourth "go-around" with the scissors, however. I'd have been safe at two or three.
dm514ts2.jpg

But Bollix! Yes! Let's see it!:)

kiltie

Practically Family
adventurer

Tone - Thanks for the update. I'll prolly take the plunge in a day or two, just as soon as I can convince the thing that I'm not castrating it. It really does have strong merits in it's stock presentation - it's the Adventurer, not the Federation. Buuuut... In any event, if you do look back at this thread, lemme ask you a coupla other questions about your modifications. I got a really nice curl around the sides and back of mine by getting the brim nice and wet and rolling it. This left me with a potential problem though: it's the natural dried shape of the felt now - very soft. Not being especially familiar with what goes into building these hats, I don't know if I'm going to need to apply any stiffener to the brim after mods, since there will be less to work with. Since the brim isn't naturally inclined to have that roll around the sides and back, I don't know how much of that particular asthetic I'll be sacrificing, if any. Will I just need to start from scratch with the new width, or do you think what I have now will translate to an eighth inch trim? Right now, sitting flat, the rear edge of the brim curls up about a half an inch off the table. Take off 1/8in. ( carry the one...square root of x times pi... ) and what have I got in terms of that brim shape now? Can I still get that shape being that much closer to the crown in a hat that was not made with that necessarily in mind. Is stiffener something I want to me around with? Will Lassie alert the fire department in time to save Timmy? And what the heck does the back of you hat look like anyway... Thanks.

Tone

A-List Customer
Thank you very much, RBH. The hat as seen in that picture is exactly where I should have left it....but, I didn't. :rage: Like I said, I did ruin it with that extra "what if" trim. :eusa_doh: Basically, I have to get another at some point and I'm so mad at myself that I didn't just walk away from it when it was at that length.

Kiltie, I hear what you're saying. An 1/8th should still allow room to keep that curve you put in the back (though, a very good point in mentioning that the brim is definitely different to the Feds in that sense, being a bit more floppy and doesn't have the same snap like those do) but you might have to work it in again if you do trim it. Yeah, big disclaimer now: Don't trim it if it doesn't need it! But do if it's driving you nuts?[huh]

Here's a side view (I don't have one of the back but this is from after it had been trimmed.) Some curl worked in there on the brim.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4683/adventurerside1zy3.jpg

You might have to work some of that curl back in but I don't think it will be impossible. (disclaimer disclaimer dislclaimer disclaimer) lol

Stiffener, I don't know about. It didn't occur to me to look at this hat as a night on the town hat and I do see your concern if wanting to keep it a bit civilized while making the adjustments. That part I truly do not know. But I was able to get some curl back into it at the shorter brim width. Hopefully it can kind of be seen in that shoddy pic above.

I usually do this to the adventure hats as part of the process so curling the brim again and having it on the edge of raggedy after the trim isn't a worry.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/787/adventurersmooshaom3.jpg

But ask me if I were treating this as a suit fedora, I might be reluctant myself with those very concerns of yours, Kiltie. However, I do not believe an 8th of an inch all the way around will affect the curve you have too much.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
page two on The Fedora, David Morgan Adventurer.

Hmmm. I watched that thread as it unfolded and only saw one guy make a really negative comment (and he's a hat maker himself). I've posted pictures of my Adventurer over there and gotten positive comments. The general tenor seems to be that it's not the most Indiana Jones authentic one available, but is good stuff for the price.

kiltie

Practically Family
1/8" off...

I had to take it to the Western store, but I trimmed the brim on the Adventurer. I use a knife to cut just about everything, so as a result all I've got is one cheesy pair of righthanded "fiskars" - I'm left handed. The guy at Shepplers, of course, had this cool little knife that you set the depth on, then just go around the brim and it cuts off that much. Five bones that cost me. I gotta get one of those things. Anyway, on to the pics:

ORIGINAL BRIM WIDTH -
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM1824.jpg

NEW -
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM1830.jpg

OLD -
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/adventure2.jpg

NEW -
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM1831.jpg

What a difference! It's much more of a " go with anything " kinda hat now - that is, if I hadn't put that nutty Raiders-esque crease in there ( cool though it may be, the recognition factor is pretty high...) Actually, if I keep horsing around with it, hopefully it'll keep me from getting one of those higher end Indy hats ( no offense AB - but I am P-O-O-R!!! much as I'd like to have one )

Dang it! I just realized my hat's on crooked in pic two.

Tone

A-List Customer
That knife gizmo with the adjustable depth sounds like something worth checking out.

The hat looks sharp, Kiltie. The brim trim turned out great!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I got mine today. I'm very happy with it. I like what you did with the brim but I kind of like the wider brim, too. I dry bashed a teardrop crease in it for now but who knows what it will look like tomorrow?

citRon

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
I got mine today. I'm very happy with it. I like what you did with the brim but I kind of like the wider brim, too. I dry bashed a teardrop crease in it for now but who knows what it will look like tomorrow?

...well, WE will as soon as you post some pictures!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters