Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Next Jacket?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Have owned both.

IndianaGuybrush said:
So.... no half-belt owners out there?

Personally I like the regular halfbelt better for more of a simple late 20's to early 40's look. The long halfbelt was more common from the early 40's and to the early 60's and just never looked quite as compact or neat to me. With their exagerrated length and extra pockets they always looked just kind of flashy and garrish.
If you are dead-set on a longer 30's jacket the Barnstormer might be the way to go for a more authentic style than the long halfbelt.
I agree with Shamus the he mid-weight horse is sufficient, the real heavy stuff is only really necessary if you ride.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Zohar said:
Looks like a good choice, Rick. I can't wait to see some pictures. How long did they say it would be till delivery?

Initially about 2 weeks, but then I had some doubts after seeing this one:

Now I have added the zippered sleeves. Also a bi-swing back and two G1-style pockets like this - one on each side.

I have not heard back as far as what this does to the cost or the delivery time... Working with Mark Moye and Amanda from Aero is an incredible experience in what customer service should be.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I just found this thread. I tried on Chammaro's jacket on the QM. It IS a suit of armor. It is a great looking jacket. I would won't to have to move my arms much while wearing it though. Good for motorcycling. I recall he paid $700 for it. Too rich for my blood.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Amanda is great. She bought an original A2 from me some years back. Very helpful folks.

IGB, the half belt thirties jackets are my favorite. I just retired one that I wore in Treasure of the Templars. I loved that jacket and, because of the cut, it forced me to stop wearing my FS expedition, FS G1 and FS Historical A2, they all seem too boxy for me now.

For guys my size (38 L) you can go to just about any gunshow, military surplus show or swap meet and find ORIGINAL leather, sometimes even deadstock for about $200 a jacket.

I found a whole rack of jackets that look exactly like Aero's half back 30's model. And these were original! I even found an Aero brand* jacket from the thirties.

They're out there. Next time you're in my neck of the woods I'll take you to some good spots in LA to find these jackets.

Dan

*The original Aero brand is in no way affiliated with Aero Leather in Scotland

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Got It!

This jacket is as tough as nails. Really stiff, but breaking in nicely. Those daily messages are helping out a great deal. I got it three days ago. I absolutely love it!

Highwayman12052005-006.jpg

The rest are here. I tried to get a few different lighting shots as the reddish tone is exaggerated by the flash:

Front
http://www.ricktheriault.com//images/Highwayman12052005-001.jpg

Bi-swing Back
http://www.ricktheriault.com//images/Highwayman12052005-002.jpg

Back
http://www.ricktheriault.com//images/Highwayman12052005-003.jpg

Front (different lighting)
http://www.ricktheriault.com//images/Highwayman12052005-004.jpg

Zip-sleeve
http://www.ricktheriault.com//images/Highwayman12052005-005.jpg

I will try to get better pictures later in natural lighting.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Rick, that jacket looks gorgeous... and it has prompted me to reveal a dirty little secret of my own:

I bought a 30s halfbelt last week (brown midweight HH). I got the email notice that y jacket had been shipped on tuesday, so it should be here early next week. I'd like to think I'll have the self restraint to put the box right under the tree... but think I know myself a little better than that. Besides, since I already know what it is, what's the harm? I'll take pics as soon as I get it.

Mycroft

One Too Many
IndianaGuybrush said:
Rick, that jacket looks gorgeous... and it has prompted me to reveal a dirty little secret of my own:

I bought a 30s halfbelt last week (brown midweight HH). I got the email notice that y jacket had been shipped on tuesday, so it should be here early next week. I'd like to think I'll have the self restraint to put the box right under the tree... but think I know myself a little better than that. Besides, since I already know what it is, what's the harm? I'll take pics as soon as I get it.

Save it for the holidays, it makes it more memorable. Also, great jacket, I think Hugh Lorrie the actor wears a similar one in one of his interviews I read (with a photo of him in it).
hl.jpg

shamus

Suspended
Great jacket!

Makes me wish I still had mine. Next time I"ll go with the bi-swing back too! I'm sure it makes wearing it much easier being new. I also thought about the zip sleeves but thought I"d scratch up my table... Any problems yet?

What lining did you get?

Now in 3 years take a pic of that exact pose and see the difference!

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Wow, I actually sent that exact picture of Hugh Laurie to Aero when getting the details together! I ran across it while looking for the House, M.D. 1st season DVD a few months ago. It is a brown Highwayman with standard cuffs, I think. Maybe a mid-weight horsehide?

IndianaGuyBrush - If you can leave that under the tree you have amazing patience. I actually told the post office to hold it there and when it arrived, since no one would be home for delivery. I drove up immediately when it arrived and left the post office parking lot wearing the jacket.

Hemingway, this jacket is amazingly tough. No doubt about it. Exacly what I wanted.

I have had no problems with the sleeves scratching anything. The thick seams kind of countersink the main part of the zipper. That tab might scratch, but I have not had problems with it yet.

Oh, and I got the brown Alpaca lining. All jackets have cotton sleeves, I think. I think the bi-swing feature is pretty good, but it has not given me too much additional range of motion. But anything is better than nothing and I like the way it looks.

Now in 3 years take a pic of that exact pose and see the difference!

I will have substantially less hair? I can already see a difference - believe it or not. I have been messaging the jacket and flexing the sleeves and such as much as possible to work the stiffness out. When I first sat in the Jeep with the Highwayman, I sat and it wanted to stand. I have already messaged it enough so that does not happen too much anymore. The collar is a bit more behaved as well.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know if anyone around here goes for non-leather casual jackets but for us in Southern Cali light weight vintage and retro stuff works for the climate fine. The Howard Hughes casual dress jackets he's pictures in, in the 1940s aren't in big demand but make a nice look. Also the work jackets make sense for little money and vintage look. And you can still wear your fedora like Howard did.
howard_hughes.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rick, How many leather jackets do you have now? Do you mind saying? I must have seen you get at least four in the time I have known you.

Twitch, I wouldn't say that the Howard Hughes style casual jackets, known as Hollywood Jackets by the way, are not in big demand. Original two-tone Hollywood jackets in popular sizes and in good condition can easily get $200+ dollars on eBay. Your best bet is reVampvintage.com for a black and houndstooth new repro that is very nice.

It is an awesome look though. I have something coming down the road, perhaps in the next month that I am very excited about and I'll share it with you as soon as it comes! For now, I am just going to build buzz!

Twitch

Hemingway- had no idea those jackets end up that price. Saw one too small for me starting at $10!

Belly Tank- Here's a couple of pics of what I mean.
db_1.jpg

This is 40s-50s
gabrickyjacket.jpg

This is 30s-40s. As you can see pretty much the same. These were the light jackets that tradesmen wore. Truck drivers, delivermen or gas station attendents used them. Pants could range from denims to chinos or even a dark colored heavier "uniform" type. In the 50s at least I'd still see guys like this topped with a fedora regularly but as the decade progress more went to "ball cap" styles of headwear. The boss man of an outdoor work crew would especially wear the fedora as badge of rank while his jacket was identical to the mens'.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Twitch said:
Hemingway- had no idea those jackets end up that price. Saw one too small for me starting at $10!
Precisely my point; it was too small for you. Larger jackets, remember people are large these days, two-tone in great shape fetch high prices.
Personally, I don't want anything that someone else has worn against their skin, but some people don't care.

Twitch

Well I kinda don't care too much for 2nd hand shirts and the "who sweated in this?" factor either but jackets are OK. We all have our little peccadillos. My Howard Hughes quirky syndrome is perspiring. I hate it. It makes me feel crummy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner