Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Search for a Mate is Confined to my Sock Drawer

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Was there an event or epiphany that made you stop looking for a mate?

Mine was when somebody that a web site hooked me up with had in his profile that he believed in God, yada yada, and then he asked me some, err, very personal questions. :eek:

My cousin's moment was when she ended up on a date with an epileptic midget. (Nevertheless, someone special found her. :D )

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I left the Army for a woman, only to later throw the engagement ring
into the Aegean Sea at Piraeus. :eek: Not an epiphany, but more of a sense
that fate had turned the tables on me, and the future in this regard would
be uncertain, so be it. I wasn't the type to settle down anyway, and back then
in my early twenties I liked action and bachelorhood suited me better. :eek:
Somewhere along I became 'confirmed,' or, as my mother stated, "an Irish
bachelor." Apparently, Irishmen are the worst bachelors.... lol

Shearer

Practically Family
Not an epiphany per se, but I took it as a sign it was too late to salvage a relationship when I found another girl's things in my boyfriend's bathroom lol

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Same here. It seems the older I get, the less people I hit it off with. I kind of gave up seriously searching as well.

cgab

K.D. Lightner said:
Somehow I always knew I would be single and a bit of a vagabond. So, through the years I never searched seriously.

karol

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Nothing wrong with that - if you want to stay young, hang with young people!

cgab

BegintheBeguine said:
So this is why it had to be a 17-year-younger man who asked me to marry him. :eusa_doh:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I didn't date for 4 1/2 years before I met my husband (on Live Journal on complete accident!)

My Epiphany? Well, I wouldn't call it epiphany. My self esteem used to be so low I'd take anything that gave me attention. In '98 I seriously became interested in the "Golden Age" and with that my self esteem and dating standards raised dramatically.

In '98 I stopped dating an endless string of jerks. I had a slight relapse in 2000, but he was "rockabilly" so I thought he'd be different. He wasn't. Then and there I swore off all attempts at finding a man. I figured if it was meant to be it would happen on accident or by fate.

And it did. I found him on my "Friends List" in 2004. We celebrate 2 years on July 1st!!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the same boat as Charlie H, and had an experience similar to Shearer's: A now ex-girlfriend and I were apart for a couple months, and during a phone call asked if she could have sex with an old friend.

Lee

"Love's not only blind, it also has attention deficit disorder." - Kinky Friedman

pretty faythe

One Too Many
The last time I had that "epiphany" was after my last "relationship" ater being with this guy seriously for 6 months. We were supposed to be spending New Years together when he dissapeared, this part worried me because he had some serious medical problems and I was afraid that he was in the hospital again. Turns out he was with he ex wife, at a naughty lil party place. :rage:

After that, I told my sister to stop setting me up with people (thats how I had met him and the one before) that I couldn't take it anymore. Well the not taking it any more lasted a year, now I once again have my eye open for the right one.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I gave up in high school....:(

Single girls never seemed to care for me. Married women, on the other hand, tend to like me much better. I think it's because I'm the kind of guy (the classic "nice guy") they WISH they had married, instead of the bad boy jerk that they did marry.

Why do women love scum? I've never figured that out.[huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I gave up dating 16 years ago. It just got unreasonably complex after getting married. lol

Looking for my Lucy Mercer.
_________________________ END OF LINE

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Fatdutchman -- I know what you mean: I've seen many women marry and/or get involved with some of the biggest jerks. I have discerned that they also believe they can "reform" them.

Why anyone would want to get involved with someone they feel they have to change in some way, is a puzzlement to me, but a lot of women do.

karol

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Fatdutchman said:
Why do women love scum? I've never figured that out.[huh]

I don't! That is an unfair generalization :) I dated some idiots in my time, but I had my own issues. I was an unhappy, insecure, needy person that was grateful when anyone paid me any attention. I thought the scum were the only guys I deserved, and so those were the ones I attracted.

I eventually sorted through my issues, and attracted the right kind of guy: my husband. He is kind, generous, loving, thoughtful, self-sacrificing, gentle, funny, I could go on an on. He is a wonderful human being that I am proud to be married to, and proud to be the future mother to his children. He will be an amazing father, and I can't wait to see him with our baby.

It could be that the women you are thinking of have their own issues that they never sorted through, or sorted through after marrying the scum. It isn't some ingrained quality in women that we want jerks. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Fatdutchman said:
Single girls never seemed to care for me. Married women, on the other hand, tend to like me much better. I think it's because I'm the kind of guy (the classic "nice guy") they WISH they had married, instead of the bad boy jerk that they did marry.[huh]

I tend to attract guys who are involved with someone else. I agree--they're looking for what they are missing in the relationship they have.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Since my divorce in 2001 (following an 18-year relationship/marriage to my second-ever girlfriend), I've dated a fair amount, but I have only made it into a couple of very short-term relationships. At the moment, I'm not even really trying to meet anybody - I just find the whole dating process exhausting and depressing. The inevitable rejection still always hurts...

So I don't know that there was ever any "epiphany." Relationships have never come to me easily, and I've always been a hard-sell (for reasons that utterly elude me, 'cause I think I'm great catch)... Now that I'm in my fifties, I've pretty much accepted that being alone is my natural state. At least I'm lucky enough to have my kids and parents around to keep me pretty busy...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn