Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Search for a Mate is Confined to my Sock Drawer

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I stopped looking after getting tired of being rejected. And I think I still have a lot of growing to do, I have returned to school and trying to "raise" a 16 year old teenager. Who by the way is driving me crazy! I waited almost 5 years after my divorce before dating. What an experience! I hadn't dated before I got married so it was hard and boy, my eyes were opened!

I try not to think about not having that "special someone" and just be grateful for my family and friends.

Congratulations to all those that have found contentment whether it be in coupledom or singlehood. I think the best is to just to be happy in the moment!

Just a note, I too hate that saying you will find the someone when you're not looking! Too cliche for me.

Shellie

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
So who thinks it is easier to be a single man or a single woman? I guess as a guy I've always thought it was easier for me. There always seemed to be lots of dating choices - the challenge is to make the right choices and to not jump to fast into something serious!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
And I think I can speak for all of us single guys here in saying, "So do we!";)

Says yet another single-and-hating-every-second-of-it...

...its too bad you live on the wrong coast! :( ;)

-Viola

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
And doubly too bad that the farthest east I can see myself residing is San Antonio--I may be cold-blooded and dependent on outside heat, but it's gotta be dry, desert-type heat. My summer back in your area required surgical-taping Blue Ice packs under my shirt... :(
But that would be so romantic. :)
(Okay, pay no attention to me,...)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
And doubly too bad that the farthest east I can see myself residing is San Antonio--I may be cold-blooded and dependent on outside heat, but it's gotta be dry, desert-type heat. My summer back in your area required surgical-taping Blue Ice packs under my shirt... :(

Hey I never claimed we have delightful weather. Seattle has a much more moderate climate.

The food on the other hand... we got all the good food. :D

-Viola

Viola said:
Hey I never claimed we have delightful weather. Seattle has a much more moderate climate.

The food on the other hand... we got all the good food. :D
[bad]There you go again, Miss V, tempting me with the one craving I can't satisfy anywhere else... :(

Is cheesesteak kosher? (Always wondered--in a strange town, the first restaurants I start plotting locations for in my nav-software are kosher delis.)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
[bad]There you go again, Miss V, tempting me with the one craving I can't satisfy anywhere else... :(

Is cheesesteak kosher? (Always wondered--in a strange town, the first restaurants I start plotting locations for in my nav-software are kosher delis.)

Tragically, no. You're not supposed to mix meat and dairy. No cheesesteaks, cheeseburgers, pizza with meat toppings, etc.

I skirt the rules, or rather I respectfully bend them a lot, and eat poultry with dairy, (turkey hoagies, chicken cheesesteaks...) but you're not even supposed to do that.

Jewish-style delis vary a lot by levels of practiced kosherness.

-Viola

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
K.D. Lightner said:
Fatdutchman -- I know what you mean: I've seen many women marry and/or get involved with some of the biggest jerks. I have discerned that they also believe they can "reform" them.

Why anyone would want to get involved with someone they feel they have to change in some way, is a puzzlement to me, but a lot of women do.

karol

I always liked Benny Hill's joke about weddings: The groom is thinking, "aisle, altar, hymn," and the bride is thinking, "I'll alter him." :D

Lee

And they say change is good. . . .

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
I think I make a better date than spouse. I am in my early 50's and still like a day or two each week just do me things. Love long week-ends. However come Monday still like the thought of being alone and just chillin. That is also the day I clean; do laundry; and other household things. And by the time Thurday arrives ready again for fun. I will do whatever you like if you will just give me a couple of days a week for me.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
jgilbert said:
I think I make a better date than spouse. I am in my early 50's and still like a day or two each week just do me things. Love long week-ends. However come Monday still like the thought of being alone and just chillin. That is also the day I clean; do laundry; and other household things. And by the time Thurday arrives ready again for fun. I will do whatever you like if you will just give me a couple of days a week for me.

my dad has been in a relationship with the same woman for about 7 years now. they go out to eat, hang out, go on vacations together... but they don't live together. they have completely different, settled lives, and this way they don't get on each other's nerves and can still enjoy each other's company. i think it works out pretty well for them.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A coworker of mine, who deals with a lot of divorce cases, knew a married couple who got sick of living with each other and just moved into separate houses instead of getting a divorce. He says they get along OK now.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been involved with three heartbreakers and now I find myself jaded and bitter about the entire mess. I certainly don't plan to enter another relationship for some time.

I was talking to a friend recently about my inability to maintain a steady relationship. She told me I'm too nice. I "pamper" girls by taking them out, being patient, opening doors, saying nice things, never raising my voice, getting to know their folks, accepting their particular life situations, accomodating their needs, etc. :eusa_doh: I was raised by women so I guess this comes naturally. I thought EVERY guy was this way if he wanted to keep girls around.

I asked her what I should do. She said, "Be a jerk, girls like that."

So I don't plan on having a woman in my life. I've essentially given up. As long as I have a stable mind, I'm good enough for myself. :)

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
ferryengr said:
So who thinks it is easier to be a single man or a single woman? I guess as a guy I've always thought it was easier for me.
i hate to say it, but there seems to be less of a stigma for a guy to be single... it just means you "haven't met the right girl yet."

for a woman, it seems more like "what's wrong with you?"

for me to say that goes against generations of tradition for the women in my family; they were all accomplished, active in the community, independent for their time and judging by some of the clothes/jewellry left to me, quite fashionable dressed doing so. :D

i'm actually amazed that were generations of women in my family; we tend to marry late (my grandmother the "prohibitionist" was 35 when she had my mom!)... so, maybe i'm just trying to break the record here. lol

cgab1

One of the Regulars
It does seem to me that the guys who attract the most women are the ones who treat them poorly. Just my opinion, though. I could be wrong.

cgab

pretty faythe said:
The person who told you gals like jerks was one of the few who do, who thinks that they can change them.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
pretty faythe said:
The person who told you gals like jerks was one of the few who do, who thinks that they can change them.

"At Wanamaker's and Sak's and Klein's,
A lesson I've been taught;

You can't get alterations on a dress you haven't bought!"

... Guys & Dolls

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
SpitfireXIV said:
i hate to say it, but there seems to be less of a stigma for a guy to be single... it just means you "haven't met the right girl yet."

for a woman, it seems more like "what's wrong with you?"

I think you are right. Men are sometimes even praised for staying single. Women never so - even in this modern age . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran