Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Son Left for the Air Force today...

BonnieJean

Practically Family
OK, so I'm feeling a little blue. Harry Pierpont and I took our son to start his career in the Air Force this afternoon. The house seems a little empty after having him around for 19 years. Our son, John, the Airman trainee, has been the "adventurer" all his life, so I kind of knew he would take the "high" road. He's been fascinated with flight and planes most of his life and the Air Force is a natural fit for him. I know he'll do well, but its still kind of tough to watch your kids grow up and go out on their own.

It did get me thinking about the mothers and fathers who watched their sons/daughters go into the military doing those Golden Years and especially during WWII. Some of them would never return home. I wonder if they had the same anxious thoughts as I do and tried not to think about the 'what ifs'. I realize that children have been growing up and leaving home for centuries (myself included), but I really couldn't connect with it until I experienced it first-hand. I thought what I was feeling was a female thing until Harry told me on the way back home that he had a hard time concentrating on the drive taking John to his drop off point. He said he had to keep fighting a lump in his throat. Bless his heart, he misses him too.

If any FLoungers can give us newbie empty-nesters some advice on how to cope with these mixed feelings (Glad our son is making something of his life, but sad that he's left the "nest".), it sure would be appreciated.

(Well, we're almost empty-nesters, our other son just landed a better paying job and says he'll be moving out soon.)

I think keeping busy will help, but there will be many reminders that he isn't here. The good thing is that we'll be traveling to San Antonio, TX in early October for his graduation. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in that part of Texas in October? Harry and I plan on wearing our vintage/vintage-inspired attire. He told our son that we would probably be easy to spot in the crowd of spectators at his graduation.

I think the real cure for my blues calls for shopping for new vintage/vintage-inspired outfits to wear on our trip south! :D

ShortClara

One Too Many
I can't help as I have no children, but I wish blessings for all of you and happy thoughts to ease the days in between visits :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Bonnie, sorry you two have the empty nest blues! I can't offer any advice for that, but I have to tell you how awesome the graduation in San Antonio was! My baby brother graduated last summer. (that was hard to see him go too, we're 14 years apart!) I really enjoyed seeing all they do, and the ceremony. Very rewarding, for all involved.
Just don't be late for anything, always have your paper work, and don't speed on base, lol!
Congrats to John!
Nikki

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nikki,
Thanks for the graduation tips--Harry has a tendancy to speed a bit, so we'll heed your advice!lol I'm kind of obsessive/compulsive, so keeping the paperwork in order and being on time should be easy! ;) I did see some photos of some graduation ceremonies today and they certainly look impressive.

I gave John a haircut last night. He had below-the-ear hair (but used to have it down to his shoulders) and it was recommended that he get it cut shorter so he doesn't "stand out". After his haircut he looked like he aged 5 years! I can't wait to see him in his dress blues!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're with you and Harry in spirit BonnieJean:)
Your son is doing the most noble of jobs. I thank him for that.
This will be the beginning of a wonderful career for him that will open doors to many different opportunities.
I wish him luck on this new endeavor:eusa_clap
Before you know it he'll be home with a pile of laundry!!
Keep your lovely chin up girl! Whenever you get lonely just come on in to your favorite lounge. You know you've got a bunch of fine ladies and gents who care about you, who are here to support you and keep you company:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Each unit (or whatever they're called!) gets a video you can order. It was so funny, shows them getting off the bus, lined up for their haircuts. The looks on their faces are priceless! Shows some of basic and graduation.
Oh how I loved seeing them all in uniform. SO handsome!!
I had a blast making my son and nephew's "mini" dress blues for my brother's wedding.

It was a hoot to see how my brother changed in so little time. Saying yes maam, no maam, ect. Not that he was rude before, but you know...
Nikki

Nashoba

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
I gave John a haircut last night. He had below-the-ear hair (but used to have it down to his shoulders) and it was recommended that he get it cut shorter so he doesn't "stand out". After his haircut he looked like he aged 5 years! I can't wait to see him in his dress blues!

wow. In the Marine Corps the first thing they do is shave them bald :D then they all look the same....
I know he'll make you proud! Daisy's right, he's chosen a noble path and he continues in the footsteps of the noble men and women who went before. Each class usually has some kind of pass and review yearbook too I think. At least they do in the Corps (forgive me but that's what I know)
I think you'll be amazed at the change in him.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Keep your lovely chin up girl! Whenever you get lonely just come on in to your favorite lounge. You know you've got a bunch of fine ladies and gents who care about you, who are here to support you and keep you company:)

Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments, I'm feeling better already!

And Nikki, I'm definitely going to get that video. I've learned some Air Force lingo--their group/units are called "flights". And you never call their sleeping quarters, 'barracks', they're "dorms". I've got a couple of nephews in the Army and they have their own "language" too.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
wow. In the Marine Corps the first thing they do is shave them bald :D then they all look the same....

I think its similar in the Air Force, my hubby recalls the recruiter saying that they would get extremely short, but not shaved, haircuts after they arrive on the base and that their hair will grow back during their basic training. But its still for the same reason--to make everyone look the same. The recruiter recommended the shorter haircut so that he isn't "memorable" to the training instructors as he gets off the bus. John's recruiter used to be a drill Sgt. at Lackland and he's told us all about the TIs (training instructors) and how he and they treat the new recruits. Its all about working as a team. Fortunately, John is a good team player.

I was looking through some old pictures when my kids were younger and remembering special times. And now I've got this nagging question...When did I get old? lol I certainly don't feel old...well, most days!

BonnieJean said:
I was looking through some old pictures when my kids were younger and remembering special times. And now I've got this nagging question...When did I get old? lol I certainly don't feel old...well, most days!
I can sympathize, even though I'm not that chronologically far along--it's like "Geez! Where did the time go?"

Gotta applaud your young airman-to-be--it's people like him that have given me renewed hope for the post-X'er generations...

Nashoba

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:

Yeah, unmemorable is good :)

I wonder that too as I watch my cousins and kids I've known since they were born grow. I wonder where the years are going.....sunrise...sunset...

Rooster

Practically Family
OH golly Mom, he'll be just fine. I'm sure he's very excited about all of this and doesn't have a care or worry in the world over this next step in his life.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We're not looking forward to that day when there is no girly squee to be heard at our house. We think we are. "Oh we'll finally see Europe. We'll have some quiet. We won't be constantly picking up after people..." But I'm sure it will be tough.

You're in my thoughts! :)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Speaking as somebody from the other side of the equation, one thing you can (and IMHO should) do is keep them cards, letters and care packages coming! The worst time in boot camp is when you don't get anything at mail call.

V/R,

AO2

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I can't wait to get him out of the house!
(Not in the armed forces though - but at university)

Imagine how he will grow, mature and take responsibillity.
Instead of nag, nag, nag when there is no more food in the friedge, his shirts are not washed and there are no more beers (because all his friends were around for football last night!)

19 and still living at home is out!
Stretch your wings, get out and fly...:D

BonnieJean

Practically Family
plain old dave said:
Speaking as somebody from the other side of the equation, one thing you can (and IMHO should) do is keep them cards, letters and care packages coming! The worst time in boot camp is when you don't get anything at mail call.

V/R,

AO2

I plan on doing just that. I won't know his address until this weekend, but I think I'll start working on the first letter. I have a niece that is training for a combat medic and she sent me an email begging for a letter. I sent one out to her yesterday. I had wondered if there was such a thing as getting too much mail? I guess I'll be supporting the USPS for a while!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
I can't wait to get him out of the house!
(Not in the armed forces though - but at university)

Imagine how he will grow, mature and take responsibillity.
Instead of nag, nag, nag when there is no more food in the friedge, his shirts are not washed and there are no more beers (because all his friends were around for football last night!)

19 and still living at home is out!
Stretch your wings, get out and fly...:D

I had these thoughts too (but never had the beer experience :eek: ). Its a whole different story when they actually ARE gone! The empty room, his favorite cereal sitting on a shelf untouched, etc., etc. I really thought I had prepared myself for this, its almost like grieving, but in a good way. And his recruiter said I can call anytime and he'll check on John's progress for me. Not that I will do that, but it's a relief to know I can. Both my sons are Eagle Scouts and I know that they can take care of themselves and are good men. Its just a mother's (and fathers) adjustment to go through.

All the encouraging words here do help this proud Air Force mom! Thanks!

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Although a Navy man myself, when the time came, I urged my own Son to join the USAF. Reason? The Navy is tradition bound and class conscious to a fault. Air Force, being the youngest service, retains no 18th and 19th century traditions that have no meaning today.

Your Son will hate boot camp a good share of the time, however the officers and non-coms know what they are doing and are very effective at turning a civilian into the sort of airman that the service needs. When he is writting you letters telling you how much he hates basic, just remember that in a few years he will look back on that experience with, if not fondness, at least as a time of positive change in his life.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear when I saw the plane lift off carrying my only Son to Texas for his basic. Looking back on it, however, the experiences he had in the USAF made him the excellent man and father he is today. We raise our children to set them free. It's part of the cycle of life. Not only is it a growth opportunity for your Son, it is also a point of change in your own life. Use it wisely.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
52Styleline said:
Although a Navy man myself, when the time came, I urged my own Son to join the USAF. Reason? The Navy is tradition bound and class conscious to a fault. Air Force, being the youngest service, retains no 18th and 19th century traditions that have no meaning today.

Your Son will hate boot camp a good share of the time, however the officers and non-coms know what they are doing and are very effective at turning a civilian into the sort of airman that the service needs. When he is writting you letters telling you how much he hates basic, just remember that in a few years he will look back on that experience with, if not fondness, at least as a time of positive change in his life.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear when I saw the plane lift off carrying my only Son to Texas for his basic. Looking back on it, however, the experiences he had in the USAF made him the excellent man and father he is today. We raise our children to set them free. It's part of the cycle of life. Not only is it a growth opportunity for your Son, it is also a point of change in your own life. Use it wisely.

Well said! Thanks!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy