Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My son's Easter suit.

cecil

A-List Customer
Max Flash said:
One of the reasons that I very rarely post on internet forums these days is that few people can accept an opposing point of view to their own. Instead, people expect to be able to post (and in many cases ask for opinions) and then get incensed when others take a contrary view to their own. It seems we are all expected to fawn all over each other.

True, but we're talking baby photos, not politics!

I think he looks darling. Little girls are forever being dressed up for special occasions, it's nice to see a little boy in something just as fancy :)

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
True, but we're talking baby photos, not politics!

I think he looks darling. Little girls are forever being dressed up for special occasions, it's nice to see a little boy in something just as fancy :)

Fair enough - my comment was more of a general one, although I was prompted to post it because of this thread.

mt_spiffy

Vendor
lil pimpin!!!!

I am Minister of Music for a multiracial church, and it is quiet common for young children to be dressed up for service especially on holidays. My then 2 year old daughter had a pretty new Easter dress last year, so how is it any different to buy a young son a suit?

Teach children to dress up at a young age, they will either learn to love it or at least grow accustomed to it. My daughter will put on one of her little dresses, go to the mirror and say "Abby pretty!"

n501042324_431406_9147.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mt_spiffy said:
My then 2 year old daughter had a pretty new Easter dress last year, so how is it any different to buy a young son a suit?

There are suits, and then there are suits. Back in the 'teens, '20s and '30s, newborn baby boys wore gowns or "dresses" that were very similar to those worn by baby girls. They were (literally) dressy, comfortable, and easy to put on and take off. Baby boys never wore suits and ties, and when they were of age to wear dressy "boyish" apparel (at around 1 year old), the outfit of choice for decades was the sailor suit. Again, more comfortable than a "business suit", and without a tie constricting the baby's neck.

Newborn babies are not older children at a graduation, let alone adults at a job interview. There's no justification for dressing them as such.

Randal

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies (both positive and negative). I would just like to note that we do not regularly dress our son in suits. This is just for Easter and a family portrait.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
GBR said:
Seems somewhat gross to dress a child of this age in this way.

And you thought I would be rude with my Bronx Cheers at the movies.:rolleyes: Gross doesn’t exactly seem the proper term for a baby in a waistcoat and tie for Easter. Poor choice of words I say.

I think the kid looks swell! I was dressed up for Easter when I was young, and when I find that photo I’ll post it!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
For the children and the flowers
are my sisters and my brothers,
Their laughter and their loveliness
could clear a cloudy day,
Like the music of the mountains and
the colors of the rairbow,
They're a promise of the future
and a blessing for today.
And the song that I am singing
is a prayer to non-believers,
Come and stand beside us,
we can find a better way.
John Denver

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Why would anyone comment to the opposite?

And yet...they do...

GBR said:
Seems somewhat gross to dress a child of this age in this way.

Not until you have one, from what I'm told. Sort of like the old grand dame of society coming up to the noveau riche younger lady, who was dripping in jewelry, saying "I've always felt wearing diamonds and jewels during daytime is so terribly tacky," to which the younger lady responds "So did I...before I could afford them!"

I think it looks great, just like other photos of birthdays, Christmas and other special occasions with Lounge members and their families.

But here on the Lounge, where we're always complaining about someone else judging us or making silly cracks about our wearing Fedoras, A2s, Spectator shoes and other vintage wear, should we be judging others, suggesting how they dress themselves and their family members, how they should spend money elsewhere instead of buying a holiday outfit for the baby? Who am I to tell someone else how to spend their money? It's certainly not hurting the child, and nobody's holding a gun to the parents' heads making them do it. Judge not lest ye be judged, or perhaps more apropos, if you don't have anything nice to say, keep silent.

It's all part of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in my book.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
There are suits, and then there are suits. Back in the 'teens, '20s and '30s, newborn baby boys wore gowns or "dresses" that were very similar to those worn by baby girls. They were (literally) dressy, comfortable, and easy to put on and take off. Baby boys never wore suits and ties, and when they were of age to wear dressy "boyish" apparel (at around 1-year old old), the outfit of choice for decades was the sailor suit. Again, more comfortable than a "business suit", and without a tie constricting the baby's neck.

Yup. When I was little (<1yr) and was taken to church, I was installed into a long dress-like thing. In fact, the christening gown that all the babies in my family have been baptised in dates back to my great, great, great grandfather's christening which occurred in the 1860's.

Later, I did wear the sailor's suit to church, a white one for summer and a navy one in the winter, although after the first lengthy sermon in said suits, the whistle on its lanyard was removed and never returned to me.

Later, I had little business suits to wear on Sundays (from about the age of 4 or so?), which was great, but never did make up for the chocolate brown, corduroy leisure suit that I was forced into occasionally during the week. This latter attrocity resulted in permanent scarring that still has not faded to this day....:p

de Stokesay

lagunie

New in Town
re: Gross

I think the internet makes people forget their manners when they are asked opinions or given a chance to voice one (or type in this situation). One may not approve of having a suit made for a young child and there is no harm in saying that. It's an opinion. But to use the word 'gross' toward someone's child is mean and spiteful. Totally unnecessary. On another thread someone wished everyone a Happy Easter and was criticized for starting a thread that wasn't what another person thought appropriate on Fedora. One of the reasons I started checking this site was because the 'members' seemed civil to each other as most continue to be - I guess that's what makes unnecessary comments stand out so much because they are so out of place here. Sorry I'm taking so much space up which should be devoted to apparel - couldn't help myself. Reading too much Huffington Post lately. Now that place is really mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails