Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My trip to Alessandria: The Borsalino Museum...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
It was a great two hour (we went slow) drive to Alessandria. The people at the museum are very nice and knowledgeable, they were willing to answer to all of my questions. Oddly though they didn't want me to take pictures of the main area--where the hats are--and only after telling the lady who accompanied my wife and I where I work, she allowed me to shoot about 5 photos without flash, so forgive the quality of those.
The place is nice and has case after case full of remarkable hats: the pope's; one based on Capone's likings, top hats, tricorns, straws you name it!
I learned that after a while, Borsalino ditched the wooden blocks in favor of aluminum and they haven't gone back. They have videos, albums with all the liners they've ever made and a nice display with some of their boxes (the lady was adamant about me not taking pictures of them [huh])
Anyway, here are the images.

My hat didn't fit in the Mercedes :eusa_doh:
DSC05477.jpg

DSC05479.jpg

DSC05496.jpg

My wife was such a good sport with my little hat tour of Italy!

DSC05482.jpg

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05483.jpg

DSC05491.jpg

DSC05490.jpg

Part II next...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Wow! How fortunate you were to be able to go there! Fantastic pictures... Too bad you couldn't get any of the liner album. I bet it would be helpful for dating some of our Borso's.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
You're welcome, guys! It was a great place. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I will be posting more pictures of other hat shops I visited. Stay tuned.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
It is a treat to visit the museum in Italy. they are open only on the weekends . I will try to take pictures when I go there in two weeks . To actualy touch the hats is a whole different expirience. There are hats in the museum that could never be made today for any price . They are that GOOD. Im sure that if Douglas went there , he would offer a lot of money for those hats .
Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
It is a treat to visit the museum in Italy. they are open only on the weekends . I will try to take pictures when I go there in two weeks . To actualy touch the hats is a whole different expirience. There are hats in the museum that could never be made today for any price . They are that GOOD. Im sure that if Douglas went there , he would offer a lot of money for those hats .
Steven
www.bencrafthats.com
The lady that walked us through mentioned you, not by name as she couldn't remember, but described you to me. Too bad we didn't coincide, Steven! She wouldn't let me take a picture of the capone hat. Would you try?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Prego. I was so happy also to speak Italian and seeing some family in Milano. My grandma is from there.

Your name is unusual for a South American...I wondered where it came from...though the Brazilians are fond of Aurelio...there was a kid from Brazil by that name a few years ago in the Socceroos...Aurelio Vidmar.

Im sure that if Douglas went there, he would offer a lot of money for those hats .[/url]

??????

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hey cookie, you're using my photo for your avatar without my consent! [bad]
how dare you!;):D

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Your name is unusual for a South American...I wondered where it came from...though the Brazilians are fond of Aurelio...there was a kid from Brazil by that name a few years ago in the Socceroos...Aurelio Vidmar.

I remember that soccer player but as far as I remember he's Australian born...
Aureliano came from my grandma, she gave it to me for the coolest and craziest reason, it's not on my birth certificate and she is the only one, besides you folks in the lounge, in the family that calls me like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner