Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vanson Enfield Finally Came Today

Peacoat

Bartender
And it was well worth the wait. I couldn't be happier with it. Good thick leather all the way around, and very well made with an excellent finish to the hide that is water proof--or at least water resistant in a heavy downpour. Zipper teeth and pulls are heavy duty and ought to last. The zipper "box" at the end of the zipper, which was the subject of some controversy on this board a while back, is heavy duty as well, and should last the life of the zipper. This jacket is made in the USA.

I had heard Vanson used a heavy hide for its jackets, and this one is no exception. It weighs in at a hefty 7 pounds, just a little more than my Highwayman and my Fox Creek MC jacket, both at 6.5 lbs. In fact, the Vanson is the heaviest of my 6 or so dedicated MC jackets and my 3 or 4 other leather jackets.

I ordered a 44, which is one size up from my normal size, and it fits the way I wanted. It has extra room in the torso which will leave enough room for layering on those rides with temperatures in the 40s and 50s. A 42 would probably have fit OK with a vest or a sweater underneath, but I like a little more room while riding. The pictures are taken with me wearing only a light summer polo shirt under the jacket. I imagine that with my wintertime riding gear underneath, there won't be much extra room.

Even though Vanson gives extra length in the sleeves for reaching to the bars, with my long arms, I need every bit of length I can get. The 44 gives me enough length to make it fit fine in the arms when stretched for the grips. I also like the extra length in the body. It keeps those cold winter drafts from finding their way into the warm zone. When seated on the motor, the bottom of the jacket blouses out a little and forms a seal from the elements.

As you can see from the picture below, like my Highwayman when new, the Enfield stands on its own. As such it will need plenty of break in before it is comfortable enough for a ride. I think if I wear it in the house once a week for an hour or so, it should be broken in naturally by cool weather in October.
I am sure H. Johnson will approve of my "wear it to break it in" approach!

The jacket has snaps for a liner, which I didn't see when I ordered the jacket. I may get the liner so I can wear the jacket off the motor in cold weather without having to layer.

I ordered this jacket on December 12, 2009. According to Kim there was a problem with hides that came in during late Winter, and that delayed production. I told her I didn't care how long it took if the jacket was built right when I got it. She must have taken me at my word as it took 6 1/2 months to get here!

Here are the pictures:

Misc016.jpg

Misc023.jpg

Misc028.jpg

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Great looking Vanson, peacoat!

By the way, the liner you want is the Streamliner jacket (or vest). I have one for my Vansons and it increases the warmth significantly. One caveat: if you wear your jacket unzipped you should be aware that the chartreuse safety color is on the inside of the jacket so it will be visible. Some people don't like that "feature" but for me I use my Vansons mostly for riding so I'll take all the safety features I can get!

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I have had the same jacket for the past 15 yrs and it is still one of my absolute favorites, great choice you will enjoy it for a lifetime.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Good job Peacoat. Jacket looks fantastic and it fits you superbly. Thank you for the intricate description which will maybe help in giving some FL members food for thought (another choice) when purchasing a quality jacket.
Cheers.........coffee out

Great Peacoat..!
Sure glad that you like it...and recieved Vanson's normal heavy hide. Some folks here had me worried that my recommended "Enfield" wasn't up to par anymore. Luckily it seemed to be only a temporary hide problem that has now been resolved.
BTW....immediately after trying on my new Enfield..I noticed when I raised my arms the body...and even the sleeves "didn't" seem to ride up as many MC jackets do. Sitting on the bike reaching for the handle bars..it was quite noticable and surprising. I attributed it to the cut of the jacket. Perhaps the nicely squared up shoulders...armholes...and perhaps the way the bi-swing is made. Have you noticed a diff?
HD

JanSolo

Practically Family
Fantastic jacket, Peacoat! The jacket doesn't look oversized at all. This is probably partly due to the bi-swing back which gives a little extra room when you need it.
I really like the finish of the jacket...looks very classy and underlines the overall appeal of the jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
HD: Yes, it doesn't ride up much at all. I noticed that immediately. It was the first thing I tried out. The armholes are high and tight which makes the difference for reaching up. And the sleeves don't ride up when reaching for the bars because of the well made bi-swing back. I meant to mention those two features initially, but neglected to do so.

Ace: Thanks for the link. I will order one today.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Fantastic jacket, Peacoat! If I ever order a Vanson, the Enfield is definitely the one I want to get. What hide is your Vanson? Heavy cowhide or horsehide?

LOL... I'm using the exact same method as you to break in my FQHH Aero jacket... I just keep wearing it... mostly indoors but I did wear it a couple of weekends back in 95 degree weather to give me some good luck at a car show. :D

Is it true that Vanson now makes some of their jackets outside the U.S.? I'm guessing you can still request Vanson to make your jacket in the U.S., right?

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Jeff M said:
Great looking jacket.
Does Vanson custom make their jackets, or "off the rack"?

Both. Their customizing is basically a la carte. I ordered a lightly customized Vanson Comet in 2006 (?) and it only ran me $50 over the regular price.

Navin323i said:
Is it true that Vanson now makes some of their jackets outside the U.S.? I'm guessing you can still request Vanson to make your jacket in the U.S., right?

True. Reports as to which country are now making Vanson jackets are not consistent so it's difficult to say. However, I believe the rule of thumb is that the standard size (small, medium, large) jackets are made overseas while the numbered size (e.g. size 44) jackets are made in Fall River MA. I am not sure if Vanson will make an overseas model in the US (e.g. the Drifter) except via custom order.

Peacoat

Bartender
Navin, mine is the heavy cowhide. Vanson, on occasion, makes a HH jacket, but supply of good hides is a problem. Supply of good thick cowhide can also be a problem; that's why mine was delayed so long. Vanson sent an entire shipment of hides back. I think most of the Vanson fans who ride will tell you that with the quality of their steer, there is no reason to consider a Vanson HH.

Jeff, the jacket I got is off the rack. I talked with Vanson about the sizing and decided not to do a custom model. My size is normally a 42R. I have found that motorcycle jackets, are usually sized small. That is the reason I went with the 44. The Vanson 42 would have been a perfect fit for me without the liner, or without layering. As I add clothes when I ride, I went with the larger size. I wanted this jacket for colder weather as I have plenty of other MC jackets for milder weather that are a good fit without the layering. Thanks to link posted by Ace, I found the liner and ordered it this morning.

Jan, yes the Vanson bi-swing back is very well made; in fact, it is the best of all of my jackets, with the possible exception of the Highwayman. I would say they are about equal in function and appearance.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
Navin, mine is the heavy cowhide. Vanson, on occasion, makes a HH jacket, but supply of good hides is a problem. Supply of good thick cowhide can also be a problem; that's why mine was delayed so long. Vanson sent an entire shipment of hides back. I think most of the Vanson fans who ride will tell you that with the quality of their steer, there is no reason to consider a Vanson HH.

You definitely made a great choice in going with the heavy cowhide. :)

Offtopic... your avatar pic looks good! I assumed incorrectly (after seeing your current pics with you wearing the jacket) that the avatar pic was a current pic of you. How long ago was the picture taken? Thanks for serving our country. :)

jchosko

Familiar Face
Peacoat,

I'm glad to see the Enfield has finally arrived! It looks great and the fit seems perfect. Enjoy it in good health! There's nothing quite like the feel of super thick Vanson Competition Weight Cowhide!

Peacoat

Bartender
Coops: You have that English slang down pat! May have something to do with where you live? I will have to start using it more. I was getting good at it after you gave me some tips, and then kinda forgot about it. Thanks for the compliment.

Navin: The picture was taken a long time ago in a land far away. Please don't tell me I have aged in the intervening 43 years! I was an Army helicopter pilot from 1966 to 1970, and the picture was taken in 1967, shortly after I arrived in country (Vietnam).

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Peacoat, I haven't been on here in a while and just today I was thinking that one of the regulars was due to get a Vanson last month so I got on here and searched out the post. It's a good fit and some good testimony for Vanson. Thanks for the update.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
Navin: The picture was taken a long time ago in a land far away. Please don't tell me I have aged in the intervening 43 years! I was an Army helicopter pilot from 1966 to 1970, and the picture was taken in 1967, shortly after I arrived in country (Vietnam).

You haven't aged a bit, my friend. :)

Thanks again for serving our country. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo