Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Vintage Car Aquisition Odyssey

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. 'H' said:
I was IN Glenn Miller's 1941 Caddilac convertible. It's an amazing car, midnight blue on the outside, and red leather on the inside. I have photos, I'll post them as soon as I can.

I was also IN the car that was AT Pearl Harbor at the time of the Attack. Not as nice as my '41 though!:) :) :)

GLENN MILLER'S '41 Cad?!?! OH MY YOU'VE GOT TO POST THAT!!! Oh, I'd give my Jenny up for a ride in it... oh man, what a joy!

And a car that was at Pearl Harbor? Man, that's just too cool! Brian, no other all original car is as nice as your Buick!

Bring on them photos!
=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Will do sir, I'm buiding up the anticipation.... ;)

(And getting Mrs. 'H' to email them over to me).

PS - I was at swingdancing last night Root and I saw a guy in high rise pants with braces and a '40s tie.

I said "Have yu heard of the Fedora Lunge?"

He "Yes."

That's the first time someone has ever known about the FL apart from me in Ireland. I was thrilled! And he knew the name Wildroot and Matt Deckard etc. It was so cool.

So come on Mike in Ireland, get postin'!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. 'H' said:
PS - I was at swingdancing last night Root and I saw a guy in high rise pants with braces and a '40s tie.

I said "Have yu heard of the Fedora Lunge?"

He "Yes."

That's the first time someone has ever known about the FL apart from me in Ireland. I was thrilled! And he knew the name Wildroot and Matt Deckard etc. It was so cool.

So come on Mike in Ireland, get postin'!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Well, who was this guy Brian? Is he a member? What's his user ID? Or what was his name?

=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
This was Glenn Miller's 1941 Cadillac:

NorthCarolina101.jpg

That's me inside!

:p

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
This is us outside the Baptist Church we attended on Sunay - it was a great service.

This is the Church where The Green Mile was filmed.

NorthCarolina112.jpg

Remember "John Coffey"...?

NorthCarolina117.jpg

Here's me with the Buick again outside the original owner's house in Wilkes County:

NorthCarolina80.jpg

And finally, me behind the wheel!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Rob,

There's a great vintage smell when you get into these cars, especially the ones with the wool fabric upolstary.

You know that great vintage smell.... mmmm.

Brings me back to summer of '41....

Wild Root

Gone Home
Story said:
FaBreeze and Burma Shave? ;)

Oh man, I hope not!lol

For those who know, vintage cars that are most original have a smell of their own... it's the smell of aging mohair and organic based plastics... for some reason, it's a very comforting smell to me! Also, most of my vintage wool suits have a smell, I clean them but there is a nice vintage smell to them that say: Oh you want me to smell new? Brother, I am so, not, new!... That is what they'd say if they could talk.... hahahaha

=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I know this may sound weird, but I actually got a bit of a shock stepping into these classic cars.

I had almost expected a clean, clinical smell (or lack thereof) because the photos really made the car look so pristine - which of course it is....

But there's no mistaking the wool smell when you hop in.

Yes, I agree with =WR= it is quite re-assuring: hey Root, remember on th QM we were up on the wooden deck and you peered down one of the tunnels and got an aroma of old books and leather? Remember Mrs 'H' joking about how you were addicted to that smell....?! Yeah, brother, it's that same kinda sensation. I got it in Jenny, and I got ot it in my jalope aswell.

;)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Names, names...!

Golly!

I almost forgot.

What should I call her (him)?

Root calls his "Jenny".

I was half thinking of calling it "Humphrey". This is because I've actually had quasi-serious discussions with the missus about calling out firstborn Humphrey....

I'm on for it but L thinks it might be a wee bit cruel, given everything....

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I recall that! I think I am addicted to it! I love that old smell! And you want to know the funny thing, my car has been re-upholstered before I bought it... it's new fabric! But, it still has that old smell! You can take the car out of the 40's but, you can't take the 40's out of the car!lol

Sniffffff... Ahhhhhhhhh mohair!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. 'H' said:
Golly!

I almost forgot.

What should I call her (him)?

Root calls his "Jenny".

I was half thinking of calling it "Humphrey". This is because I've actually had quasi-serious discussions with the missus about calling out firstborn Humphrey....

I'm on for it but L thinks it might be a wee bit cruel, given everything....

Humphrey? Oh no!!! Don't call it that! Guys for as long as cars have been around have named cars with more feminine names... name her something simple and sweet, she's a sweet car, a rare gem, you have to name it something that reflects what she is! How about Pearl? Pearl is a nice name and it's also a '41... Remember Pearl Harbor? Yeah, kind of works out nice that way.... toss it around, you'll come up something sweet.

Make sense?

=WR=

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
That was a fantastic trip we had on the QM.

To my dying day, I'll never forget the fun we had riding around in Root's '46 Ply.

Remember such gems as "Hey dude, what year's your Escalade?".

I digress, forgive me!

Root, you got me hooked, my friend!

:D :D :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mr. 'H' said:
That was a fantastic trip we had on the QM.

To my dying day, I'll never forget the fun we had riding around in Root's '46 Ply.

Remember such gems as "Hey dude, what year's your Escalade?".

I digress, forgive me!

Root, you got me hooked, my friend!

:D :D :D

Brian, I totally remember that!!! What year is your Escalade... hahahhahahaha man, I'm a smat @#!$ some times!lol lol lol

Brian, you and your Mrs. were an honor taking around, I had a blast and loved every moment of it, you guys are more then welcome over here! I hope you guys can make it to the QM this year!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari