Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My wife thinks I am crazy

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
My wife knows I am crazy but it helps that people love my hats. Last night I had my new Mallory Dove 15 on and had people coming up saying how much they LOVE the hat and walked along talking about it to me. She hears the comments and it makes it easier on me buying a new one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm not gonna lie, I don't even wear a hat most of the time, but because I wear one often enough and happened to get enough responses towards them, I have a feeling that others generally perceive my hats as something cool, and as a hobby of mine. Some could just see it being an eccentricity, or a hip/trendy thing. I've got the impression that my immediate/nuclear family is still warming up to the idea of seeing me wear a brimmed hat out in public though.

EDIT-- Today nobody bat an eye at it. It was wet, raining, and it was pretty much assumed that I would wear a hat outside in such conditions. I got away with it very easily without so much as being dissuaded from wearing one. Going out to places and running errands, I think my family prefers me wearing my light grey vintage Stetson to the Akubra Fed IV, though, which may be perceived as kind of an Indiana Jones costume thing.

So EggHead, I don't think you're the only one considered "crazy" here. I'm pretty much in the same boat myself, sometimes.

Last edited:

TJ Hamilton

New in Town
Until we recently lost one to disease, my wife and I had three dogs. My wife finds two manageable, three not so much. I keep threatening to bring another home, however. Whenever I come home and tell her I just brought something with fur, she is relieved to find out it's only a hat.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'm really new to the whole hats thing and when I ordered my first one my wife gave me the "you are crazy - waste of money - you'll look an idiot - people will laugh at us when we go out - midlife crisis (yet again)" routine. Of course, I responded with the usual shoes, bags, dresses comments as one would expect.

Funny thing is that when hat no. 1 arrived - a Bluegrass Campdraft - she quickly changed to "that's a great hat, I love the colour".

As I've gotten a few more hats, shes decided that I don't look a complete idiot after all and I've even (this is true, I wouldn't fib to you folks) heard the word awesome used.

And just to show that there is always hope for us guys, she told me the other day day she wants to buy me a new VS hat for Father's Day! I need to get that on order from Mr. Fawcett while the goings good! :D

So, you just never know what will happen next when that mysterious other sex is involved!

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Like DJH I am pretty new to the hat hobby, and my wife reacted much the same way. Actually she said they were weird, and old fashioned....

I am upto 4 hats now, and she slowly ever so slowly thinks they are more acceptable.... this maybe a journey rather than a destination... :)

Anyway as others have mentioned all is well as long as your dog supports you..... and my Corgi Kendal likes them!

Kendal_Waiting_On_Ball_Throw.jpg

MA

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a very good wife (disclaimer!) -
The other day she said "You just bought 2 hats, another one is on order, why are you looking at more hats??".

:D:D

I think the best defense is that there are many fewer hatmakers than in the 1930s, which portends a shortage of hats in the future. Buying now is a good investment, as the prices are bound to go up eventually.

scooter

Practically Family
Oh, Dano, I like that one. Mine also thinks I have slipped over the edge into madness, and recently asked me if I was done buying hats for a while. She knows that 2 more are coming, what she doesn't know is ACTUALLY 4 more are coming.

As an aside, signing up for paypal is hazardous. I did, and bought 4 hats within 10 hours. Maybe she's right and I have slipped over the edge! NAHHHHH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner