Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mycroft... what is your avatar?

Jake

One of the Regulars
As Mycroft isn't currently here, I,ll anwser....I'ts the Sandman of comic book fame.......Jake

Mycroft

One Too Many
I here now. Sandman is a Golden Age of Comics hero, who is a regular rich buissness man. His real name is Wes(ley) Bernard Dobbs. He is trained in oriaental martial arts and his only weapon is his Gas Gun (shoots sleeping and/or truth serum gas). He wears a gas mask not only to hide his identity, but to sheild himself from the gas, which is symbolic that he is only human. Also, he get nightmares that so what predict his cases, and the horor of the world. Any other questions, post them and I am here. Also for some more info: http://my.execpc.com/~icicle/SANDMAN.html

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I'm glad you cleared that up. I was thinking it was William S. Burroughs, with a gas mask and a caulking gun. :eek: :D

Tom

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

He reminds me of this guy from the first Star Wars movie:

ft784.jpg

Hamsterjeep

New in Town
Terminix man?

What with all the realestate activity these days, he could make a killing doing termite work...;-) ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
William S. Burroughs...

...died in '97 at age 83- he was a very interesting character indeed- a drug abusing some-time homosexual, who accidentally shot his wife in the head.
A profuse writer- one of the original 'Beat' movement guys. He wrote a short movie screenplay called The Bladerunner- which is quite unrelated to the one we know. If you want a sampling of Burroughs, you should see David Cronenberg's 'The Naked Lunch' , which is an adaption of a novel and semi-semi-autibographical. He's actually one of my favourite writers.
He once said- 'I took heroin for six months, and damned if I could get addicted to it'. Author, poet and all-round weirdo.
He also put some of his work to music in the early '90s with The Disposable Heroes of HipHoprisy. Some of his novels: Junkie, The Soft Machine, The Naked Lunch...

He was always a smart dresser and wore a hat. not a gas mask.

BT.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
a lot of golden age heroes had gas

I'm a fan of the old Sandman also (not Kirby's yellow tights version). Many of my favorite characters from the 1930s and 1940s eschewed killing so knock-out gas was popular. The Green Hornet and Secret Agent X has gas guns and Doc Savage used glass capsules with the dope inside.

The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran