Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

???Mystery Jacket???

jac

Familiar Face
Got one for ya...

Google has nothing on this.
Anyone got any info of any kind on this gem?

Mucho thanx in advance!

http://

UK3.jpg

UK4.jpg

jac

Familiar Face
'Cirrus' on the main zip, and simply 'A' on the breast pocket.

Handling the jacket, though in terrific shape, suggests earlier origins.
No shoulder gussets, but extended width to compensate & short but adequate sleeves. Antiquated/obsolete cut.

Look at the way the collar snaps have left a relief pattern on the outside.

Also, the stitching is impeccable. Quite heavy and thick hide too.

I'm calling this cherry/cordovan.

DC3

New in Town
BT....WOW! That was some quick identification. :eusa_clap
I might have missed it but I wonder why they call it an Adam jacket. I'll have to look that up myself.

Of course, these questions and their answers, are one of the reasons we are here.

David

jac

Familiar Face
Good info! Thanks!
This is nice heavy fqhh also, which Cirrus isn't offering.

Adam? Who knows- looks like that might be Lillith modeling it!;)

I've emailed to see if they don't have some history on/with this- could be that they went through a name change, subcontracted, or had a shop in Union Square.

Thank you again!:eusa_clap

John Lever

One Too Many
jac said:
Good info! Thanks!
This is nice heavy fqhh also, which Cirrus isn't offering.

Adam? Who knows- looks like that might be Lillith modeling it!;)

I've emailed to see if they don't have some history on/with this- could be that they went through a name change, subcontracted, or had a shop in Union Square.

Thank you again!:eusa_clap
Cirrus DO offer FQHH, they just call it heavy steerhide because they don't want to upset the horse owning community.

jac

Familiar Face
This sounds wildly questionable- why would a reputable business lie and keep away horsehide aficionados?

Aero and other UK clothiers offer horsehide, plus it's common knowledge horsemeat is regularly consumed by Europeans.

Did someone at this business actually tell you this?

Edward

Bartender
BellyTank said:
I don't think it's a famous label but Icould be wrong.
Looks a bit '80s vintage knock-off style.
"Union Square" seems like an English attempt to point to, well, Union Square
and some Americana appeal.

What make are the zippers?

B
T

BT, I would certainly agree with your identification of the jacket's source, on the basis of the zippers. Presumably, as this is labelled other than a Cirrus (always thought that was a clever name.... anyhoooo...) product, it would have been produced by Cirrus for resale by some other company...

Before we had that information though, and in the interests of my own learning, what was the giveaway that it was a later product in a loosely vintage style? Myself, when I looked at the photos I initially thought fifties, going by the sleeve design (specifically the style of the cuff), but the armholes looked a bit low and the upper arm in general a bit on the loose sie to be genuine vintage..... is that it, or was there something else I missed?

Edward

Bartender
BellyTank said:
The label.
And the label sitting on a leather patch is a very '80s and later thing.
But the jacket generally looks not of vintage.

B
T

Ah cool. The 'Made in England' flash does look very modern. The rest of the label, is that design very 80s in style? Interesting re the leatherpatch-mount of the label. This sort of tip is really useful when I go hunting in charity shops / eBay etc - as well as picking out the rip off from the real in 'vintage' stores....

Thanks.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Zips are a good guide- you should know which ones to look for.
Although many nice, older vintage jackets have only buttons but we don't see many pre-zip British leather jackets around.
Stitching, construction, quality and genuine age-worn-ness are other factors but the style should look, well, vintage and perhaps trimmer than an '80s and later. Lining materials, buttons. A couple of years of reading on the FL should have set you up.

But the jacket in question just looks modern to me, without looking deeperf.
Looking at the label nails it, though- look at how "theme park" it is and the fonts are wrong for something '40s, or earlier and it's American themed but "Made in England"(also a bad font).

It's endless really- if you had the jacket in your hands, you could nit-pick(with a fine-tooth nit comb) every detail for non-vintage-ness.

Best thing I found in a charity shop in London, was a 1941 Sidcot flying suit, including the button on fur collar and fur lined pockets- those suits are covered in air ministry marked lightning zips.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
Thanks - that sort of information is invaluable when hunting for stuff. Funnily enough, much as I dismay at the boom in eighties "vintage" clothes, at least them having some value in and of themselves now (you'd be amazed what it seems some folks will pay in Shoreditch - at least, what the stores try to charge, and they're still in business...) might mean that they are less likely to be passed off as someting earlier.... maybe there is an upside to this 80s revival madeness! lol

jac

Familiar Face
FYI, this was made by Cirrus, sold under a different name in the early 80s.

This was made of a very heavy horse that was hard to work with.

They do not offer horsehide any longer.

This info came from a contact at the company.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass