Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystery solved! Bogart's weird suit in "The Big Sleep"

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Richard Warren said:
I carry many things (cell phone, glasses, sunglasses, pens, and random pieces of paper) in breast pocket of suit jacket. On rare occasions I put a handkerchief in.

The pocket is on the left side because it is easier to reach with the right hand.

AND you dress better than Prince Charles.

What's wrong with your right hand ? Everywhere but the right shoulderblade shouldn't be too much of an effort. And that's about the only place they don't put any pockets.;)

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Well, it wasn't me that brought up the comparison between me and Charles. He certainly left himself open to it, though. If he would just dress a little better (maybe not try so hard?) there wouldn't be any real comparison.

Never thought about a pocket protector. I don't really put anything in the breast pocket that might ruin a pocket. I guess if I did I would add it to the piles of stuff my wife takes to the Salvation Army.

Actually, I do suffer from chronic pain and stiffness from an old Aikido injury to the right shoulder. Not really germane to the matter at hand, though.

Seems to me that moving the pocket and button hole crosses the line between elaboration and affectation. It also seems to me unlikely that movie actors in the past displayed any more taste than those with whom we are currently blessed.

johnny

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
The next time you see a guy --besides "Mr. Bogart"-- whose suit's outside breast pocket is stuffed with glasses or something, please let us know. ;)

On the USA television series "The West Wing" Martin Sheen's character (President Bartlett) is always placing his eyeglasses in the outside breast pocket of his suit jacket. Yeah, I know, a TV reference, but the only one I can think of.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
The next time you see a guy --besides "Mr. Bogart"-- whose suit's outside breast pocket is stuffed with glasses or something, please let us know. ;)

All summer long, baby. ;)
Rules are made to be broken...albeit, I didn't even know this was a rule until you said it was. A pocket is a pocket.

I still think menswear is in part built for pragmatism, hence pockets and action backs. The buttoniere hole on the left, while usually vestigial, is at least still indicative towards an original function and purpose. The hole on the right doesn't seem any more balanced to my eye...in fact it throws it off for me, although I may be too used to the traditional side. I think it has to do with the eye not knowing where to look- you got a big white shape on the left, a big other thing on right...I'm too busy trying to look at everything that the person's face is the last thing I see.
The buttonhole on the right is the same as a contrast colored thread used for a buttonhole- it's a nuanced double-take causing touch.

PS, Matt: the cell phone is the new pocket watch, so why can't you put an iphone in the breast pocket? Makes sense to me.

And on another note, I've found that sticking things in my hip pockets disruptive in some cases if clean lines are what you're going for. Adn by things, I mean a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, a phone, a wallet, and occassionally a card case. Thus, these usually go in the interior pockets of the jacket, a shirt breast pocket, or pants pocket. If I carry an extra handkerchief, it goes in my left rear pocket of my pants and folded so it's flat.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Speaking of patch pockets, I need to send you pictures of the suit I got made up in Shanghai- 4x2 DB gray-blue flannel (copied from that perfect teal-colored jacket I showed you when you came to NY) with patch pockets and a pair of flat front AND a pair of pleated pants.

storman113

Familiar Face
Watched "The Big Sleep" earlier today. Took note of the button hole on the right side and sunglasses in the front pocket. Seems like a suit was kinda like a uniform then and he just used the pocket as a convenient place to carry them.

What I really noticed though was the skinny cowboy belt! I don't recall ever seeing anyone wearing one in any other picture.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Richard Warren said:
People who carry stuff in the breast pocket of their suits ...

Which breast pocket are you talking about, Richard?

This one?

stock-photo-business-suit-with-chec.jpg

Or this one?

ist2_9423626-man-putting-money-in-j.jpg

Or both?

If you're talking about the one in the second photo, then I agree with you.

sproily

Practically Family
bruce wayne said:
I wouldn't worry about that too much. Dress to impress yourself first. Then others, if you feel like it.

This is pure genius. :eusa_clap That's exactly as I feel and actually thrive for.

Can I use it aswell? :D

Edward

Bartender
cptjeff said:
However, instead of switching the buttonhole, what about switching the pocket? That could be a neat visual trademark.

It's been done (but then, when you account for bespoke, hat hasn't?). Baron Kurtz recently described to me a bespoke suit he'd encountered somewhere which had the button hole and the pocket on the right breast - in effect, a mirror image of the traditional approach. Apparently it had been made for a left handed gentleman who believed that having those features oriented right instead of left would be more practical. I can't fathom how such a thing would look: I am as left handed as it is possible to be, but I know I'd feel all wrong that way round - simple matter of balance rather than looks. To have the hanky / boutonnaire / whatever oriented to my other side just would feel off. [huh]

Marc Chevalier said:
Truth be told, in all cases but one, men don't really use their suits' outside breast pocket to hold anything except a pocket handkerchief. Not tickets, not pens, not glasses, and certainly not blow-your-nose handkerchiefs: those items go into hip pockets or interior pockets.

Au contraire, I should think that you'll find many men doing just that, and more. Very few of us concern ourselves with things such as preserving the line of the jacket by not overstuffing pockets etc... Before I started wearing a pocket square, I used to find that pocket very hand for pens, sunglasses (on the rare occasions I wore then, being as I am normally out in prescription glasses), mobile phone... I'd say that's at least as common, to use it for some one of those, nowadays as it is to leave it empty.

now that I wear a pocket square, I rarely put anything else in there (if I do need to hang glasses or singlasses moentarily, they will hang on the outside of the pocket, by the leg) - just fouls the square and is forever pullnig it out otherwise. My squares always serve a very functional purpose, though (ideal for clearing fingerprint smudges from lenses of my glasses....).

Matt Deckard said:
Are you referring to the iPhone pocket on the upper left hand side under the lapel?

lol, are they typically big enough, those pockets?

Mr. Rover said:
Speaking of patch pockets, I need to send you pictures of the suit I got made up in Shanghai- 4x2 DB gray-blue flannel (copied from that perfect teal-colored jacket I showed you when you came to NY) with patch pockets and a pair of flat front AND a pair of pleated pants.

You really should write a book.... hell, sell patterns.... recommend the right tailors over there and sell the pattern so you can walk in, point and say: "this, please!" I'm gagging to get some tailoring done out there (just so far only been there long enough for the '24 hour' places, which obviously ain't up to it...).

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Truth be told, in all cases but one, men don't really use their suits' outside breast pocket to hold anything except a pocket handkerchief. Not tickets, not pens, not glasses, and certainly not blow-your-nose handkerchiefs: those items go into hip pockets or interior pockets.

The one exception:

I keep my pocket watch in my exterior breast pocket on occasion, but I also keep my sun-glasses in there, and sometimes a nice fountain pen, or a pocket knife. Just sayin'

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Ha! I had missed this thread before.
Very interesting thoughts. I am left handed as well and often considered, if getting a custom made jacket, moving the brest pocket on the right side.

I often use the breast pocket for eyeglasses (either prescription or shades), by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ