Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name The Last Time There Was So Much Naked

Story

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Great question!!!
Morris tells us that we began to cover ourselves to avoid sending unintended signals to the opposite sex. To prevent social chaos.

At least we're not stuck with the NAKED LUNCH.
Burroughs_W_ret.jpg.69690.jpg

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Sefton said:
Things may be changing though. I deal with tourists everyday and a lot of them now look just as sloppy as we do here. Sadly, even the Italians. I think the American way is rapidly overtaking the old world ways. At this time the best dressed tourists seem to be from Korea and China. Suits and ties. Sharp dressed !

Here on the west side of Los Angeles (Westwood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills etc) the natives are the worst dressed. Simply stunning.

The best dressed are the Asians. The difference is like night and day. The Japanese ladies in particular often impress me with their classic taste. It is not unusual to spot one of them in the shopping areas wearing a vintage styled day suit that looks like something straight out of the 40's.

KAT

A-List Customer
[huh] i cant write out simple fruit names (and you guys got offended by fruits- not me...you read to much into it- not me) but see that crispy nude "ape man?" whats wrong with that?
@ProperRogue: we dont use the terms paper towels and ice cream...if you dont tell your kids the correct words for it...ill be dissapointed in you:D

and please: guys: next time you go to the grocery store: please take the short cut and try to ignore the fruit section...you might get offended:D lol
i dont get it: fruit is so healthy for you!lol

:) ;) kathy (hope i didnt offend)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Someone mentioned the Egyptians. There are some excellent carvings (they were master stonemasons, after all) of people wearing see-through cloth garments, and pretty much nothing else.

bk

I'll abstain from posting the wall art of Pompei. :whistling

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Public nudity, style, judging others, etc.

As Rodney King once said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Of course it's not right to judge people. The world cries out for tolerance and civility toward our fellow man-- no matter the race, religion, etc.

Of course, it's not right disrespecting society in general, by wearing something too revealing, doesn't fit, etc. The concept of wearing/saying/doing anything, anywhere, anytime doesn't advance our species.

If a person chooses to live and participate in society and enjoy the benefits of it, then he/she owes it to others to behave appropriately: be considerate of others, dress, speak, and act appropriately. What's appropriate? It's not hard to figure out.

If a person wishes to live like a hermit, then they can do whatever they feel like.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
How can we complain about the loss of privacy when so many are displaying their privates?

Well, "we" of course is not comprised of all, nor are those showing their private parts. However, those who are OK with letting it all hang out is not the same as government and business entities accessing data such as medical records, shopping patterns, etc. without permission. One is the individual exercising freedom of choice; the other is an example of powerful organizations taking without asking.

I do think that those who post all on public, non-secured places like myspace or blogs, and then whine when the feds create proggies that mine that data or prospective employers do searches, are silly. It's the world wide web, accessible by all. They put it there.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Fred G. said:
Of course it's not right to judge people. The world cries out for tolerance and civility toward our fellow man-- no matter the race, religion, etc.

I judge people, but make those assessments on what I observe. Otherwise I'd be best friends forever with the entire world. I think the problem is when judgements are prejudicial, or are about the value of a human being as opposed to something like "I think X is an irascible rogue. Best to avoid him."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
PrettySquareGal said:
Well, "we" of course is not comprised of all, nor are those showing their private parts. However, those who are OK with letting it all hang out is not the same as government and business entities accessing data such as medical records, shopping patterns, etc. without permission. One is the individual exercising freedom of choice; the other is an example of powerful organizations taking without asking.

I do think that those who post all on public, non-secured places like myspace or blogs, and then whine when the feds create proggies that mine that data or prospective employers do searches, are silly. It's the world wide web, accessible by all. They put it there.

We agree and disagree.
When we - society at large - change the rules by allowing invasions of previously private territory, we encourage the overall climate of "it's OK to invade the privacy of others." We make it easier for government and business to do so.
If we didn't intentionally share our business (by appearing in public in what are essentially undergarments and nothing else, by inappropriately displaying affection in public, by publishing nude photographs of ourselves -or even non-nude photographs of ourselves, really - on the internet, by publishing tell-all blogs), then we as a society could more effectively make the case for "stay out of my business, Big Brother."
As it is, we're demanding that the barn door be closed when the horses are already long, long gone. It is a situation for which we are at least somewhat to blame.

Feraud

Bartender
Tony in Tarzana said:
We've never met, but I suspect that, were we to do so, we'd get along just fine. :)
It is impossible not to get along with Senator Jack. He is an impossibly cool guy and the epitome of everything that is great about New York City.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Ah for the days when you had to attend the Ziegfeld Follies for a glimpse of skin.

revue_pic2.jpg

I'm with Senator Jack as least on the subject of feet. Sandals are hideous footwear. I'll say it again, more clearly this time, SANDALS ARE HIDEOUS! Not so much because the sandal itself is ugly, but because the feet inside them invartiably are. Toes are the great evolutionary mistake. Grotesque, crooked, hairy remainders of our simian past. I can't stand looking at your feet... yeah yours, so put on some freaking shoes. The worst is the patio where sandaled feet are propped up on chairs. Just awful.

(Maybe this is why I hated those Lord of the Rings movies.)

hairyfeet.gif

LaMedicine

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
I can't stand looking at your feet... yeah yours, so put on some freaking shoes.
Awwwww:cry: But...but...but.....even when we pedicure our feet? I mean, what's the sense in those pedicures that we put hours into (and money into, to boot) if we couldn't show them off in sandals in the summer....:cry:

Fred G.

Familiar Face
Judgement of the Feet/footwear

Now, personally, I have nice feet. But, I too, have seen some really gross stuff: yellow and/or scraggly-looking nails, hammer-toes, curled up, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. Unless they are absolute beauties, cover'em with shoes.

And, while we're discussing proper footwear, fellas, PLEASE, no dark socks and tennis shoes. Ever!!!!

Fred G.

Familiar Face
PrettySquareGal said:
I judge people, but make those assessments on what I observe. Otherwise I'd be best friends forever with the entire world. I think the problem is when judgements are prejudicial, or are about the value of a human being as opposed to something like "I think X is an irascible rogue. Best to avoid him."

PSG,

I see your point. I guess we all do it, can be necessary for our survival. To give an example, if I am about to get on an elevator in a hotel, the door opens and there are two middle-aged fellows in nice suits and briefcases in-hand, exhibiting proper etiquette, I will step on the elevator without giving it a second thought.

On the other hand, if the door opens to reveal two young fellows with mirror sunglasses on, who are dressed like they shopped at The Thuggery-- I will wait for another elevator or take the stairs.

Most people would say that was the right decision. Still, I made a judgement based on their appearances, which may not be valid.

Soooo, if society has no rules, that's chaos. As soon as we develop rules, then we have people judging by these rules, other people breaking the rules, and getting in a snit because they're being judged. Sometimes the rules are unfair, sometimes they are not.

No easy answers...

I've made that bad decision. There are streets that I knew I ought to have crossed and subway cars I ought to have avoided but didn't because I felt guilty about condemning people based on their appearance. Too many times it has got me into a touch and go situation. On one occassion I got a bust in the head and was then chased about six blocks. I'm a fairly liberal thinker, but from now on, if it looks like a thug, and talks like a thug...

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart